So Mack, Robinson, And Matthews Fall Into Your Lap...

If possible I would try to trade down a couple spots and pick up an extra 3rd or 4th and take whichever one was left.

But if we stayed at 6 and they were all available it would be Mack. I think the pass rush drop off is more than the talent drop off at OT

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Robinson! as proven by 2013 you can find decent LBs all the way down to UDFA div 2 schools. You really can't find a decent tackle that far down and so a higher pick is justified. Heck, I had a bunch of unanswered questions about spoon coming out in the draft and he had a better resume and hasn't taken the league by storm but with Mack, people are acting like he will change everything. ....

I think it is about as rare to find good UDFA pass rushing LBs as it is to find good UDFA OTs.

I would only trust TD and his STAFF.

They will know , by May 8, a hundred times more.... which player would benefit the team more.....than I would ever know.

I trust them totally. Too many of them to screw up the pick. Too much homework by tons of good quality football people.

Nice post. Let the pros decide.

Robinson, and it down right scares me to hear Falcon fans actually say we can find talent in later rounds when our Oline has sucked forever. Konz 2nd round Holmes 3rd round does not give me hope for late round players.

Edit: Baker truly also was a 2nd rounder.

Edited by ltstorm2

Robinson, and it down right scares me to hear Falcon fans actually say we can find talent in later rounds when our Oline has sucked forever. Konz 2nd round Holmes 3rd round does not give me hope for late round players.

Talent in past drafts has no bearing on this year's draft. For instance QB's in the 3'rd round of this draft may very well be better than any QB in last year's draft. Same with OT's, comparing them in such a way is fruitless.

Talent in past drafts has no bearing on this year's draft. For instance QB's in the 3'rd round of this draft may very well be better than any QB in last year's draft. Same with OT's, comparing them in such a way is fruitless.

Ok, but its the same thing said every year " This draft is so deep at xyz position we can get a,b, or c player in the 2nd or 3rd" Anyways, its time to stop trying to find "gems" late in the draft and draft high at a position that's been needed forever.

Ok, but its the same thing said every year " This draft is so deep at xyz position we can get a,b, or c player in the 2nd or 3rd" Anyways, its time to stop trying to find "gems" late in the draft and draft high at a position that's been needed forever.

Same can be said for pass rusher. It has been a concern for years. Even when Abe was here the Falcons needed another edge-rusher.

I would be okay if the Falcons were to take an OT at #6 but I'm sure that many posters on this board would be pissed if they didn't.

Whether the pick at 6 is either an OT or pass-rusher, it is not the end of the world in regards to solidifying the other position in rounds 2-3.

At this point in time and risk wise I'll lean towards Jake Matthews.

His ceiling may not be as high as the other 2 but at least I know what I'm getting the best pass protecting LT/RT and adequate run blocker in the draft.

The other 2 still have question marks.GROB isn't finished product and for me when I look at Mack and I'm stealing this saying here I see him as Robin not Batman he'll need another guy playing opposite him to make a impact at the next level.

Edited by kiwifalcon

Same can be said for pass rusher. It has been a concern for years. Even when Abe was here the Falcons needed another edge-rusher.

I would be okay if the Falcons were to take an OT at #6 but I'm sure that many posters on this board would be pissed if they didn't.

Whether the pick at 6 is either an OT or pass-rusher, it is not the end of the world in regards to solidifying the other position in rounds 2-3.

I don't want our QB to be protected by prospects in the middle rounds (we have a roster full of them). I don't care how deep the position is.

I dont want a 2nd round OT protecting our QB.

The vast majority of QB's in the league (If not all of them) don't have two 1'st round OT's. You know this right? 2'nd round talent (Especially at where we're drafting, which is basically a late 1'st round talent) is very good talent. You're getting too caught up on irrelevant titles of rounds, skill is all that matters and there's a lot of good skill in the 2'nd round.

I dont want a 2nd round OT protecting our QB.

The Falcons could take an OT at 6. I'm just saying that they don't exactly have to do that. They have options outside of the 1st round, same as pass rusher. Just because they pick one of the positions in the 1st does not mean that they can't draft a very suitable player for the other position in rounds 2 or 3.

The vast majority of QB's in the league (If not all of them) don't have two 1'st round OT's. You know this right? 2'nd round talent (Especially at where we're drafting, which is basically a late 1'st round talent) is very good talent. You're getting too caught up on irrelevant titles of rounds, skill is all that matters and there's a lot of good skill in the 2'nd round.

You can say the same thing about every position. There are pro bowl linebackers that were drafted in later rounds. The Falcons don't have a 1st rounder at all. Sam Baker never was supposed to be a 1st round pick and is he the type of 2nd rounder you're talking about? What about Holmes as a 3rd rounder? You're going to reply with the players this year in the later rounds are better than in previous years late rounders, but people say that every single year.

The Falcons could take an OT at 6. I'm just saying that they don't exactly have to do that. They have options outside of the 1st round, same as pass rusher. Just because they pick one of the positions in the 1st does not mean that they can't draft a very suitable player for the other position in rounds 2 or 3.

Ok, do me a favor and tell me that last quality offensive line player we got in rounds 2 or 3.

Edit: I'm looking at Mike Johnson 3rd. Peter Konz (who was supposedly the best center) 2nd. Lamaar Holmes 3rd. And you'd have to go all the way back to the 2nd spent on Blalock and our only decent lineman.

Edited by ltstorm2

You can say the same thing about every position. There are pro bowl linebackers that were drafted in later rounds. The Falcons don't have a 1st rounder at all. Sam Baker never was supposed to be a 1st round pick and is he the type of 2nd rounder you're talking about? What about Holmes as a 3rd rounder? You're going to reply with the players this year in the later rounds are better than in previous years late rounders, but people say that every single year.

Good OTs have been found outside of the 1st round as well.

Ok, do me a favor and tell me that last quality offensive line player we got in rounds 2 or 3.

Edit: I'm looking at Mike Johnson 3rd. Peter Konz (who was supposedly the best center) 2nd. Lamaar Holmes 3rd. And you'd have to go all the way back to the 2nd spent on Blalock and our only decent lineman.

Still does not mean anything. That is why TD has brought in Pioli and a few others so they can try to hit on players outside of the 1st round.

When was the last time the Falcons have taken an edge rusher before the 5th round except for Goodman(who is a 4th rounder)?