Falcons Are Way Undersized At Lb To Run The 3-4 And Drafting A Tackle Is Smarter According To The Nfl Sirius Xm Guys When I Chatted To Them Today.

JT

Before I get to my chat I had with the NFL sirius XM guys take the time to read this…...

http://www.chatsport...aways-2-9501604

I honestly don't have a clue what the falcons plan to do with this LB position! I like Bartu and I like Worrilow but both those guys are really small to be playing in the 3-4 defense. Even the above article shows that Nolan has never had LB's as small as ours when he ran the 3-4 on other teams. Spoon is always hurt as we all know and Beirman is coming back from a major injury and may not be the same. It seems like the LB position should be the main defense focus in the draft if we don't improve through free agency…..maybe Nolan will tell Bartu and Worrilow to beef up as they seem to be the only two with the actual weight issue but then you look at Spoon and Beer and they have injury problems.

I know we need a RT badly in the draft but if it were up to me Im taking Mack, Clowney, or even Barr on a move up or at number 6!…I don't think we have any dependable LB's. If size becomes a problem when the season starts up I think Dents name will be called and likely Dent and Spoon will be the ILBs. (Dent isn't liked very much around here but he happens to have ideal size for a 3-4 LB) If we plug in Dent then that will only leave one LB position that will be undersized.

My chat with the NFL sirius XM guys today:

By the way if you were listening I was the guy who called NFL sirius XM today around 1:30 central time and asked about the falcons LB position with this new 3-4 defense and the upcoming draft….and basically they said the same thing I just said above…are young upcoming LB's Worrilow and Bartu are too small for this defense and Spoon and Beer have huge injury problems that you almost have to worry about! They didn't agree with me about taking Clowney, Mack, or Barr because they said getting Matthews or Robinson would be a way better value this year and protecting matt ryan is the number 1 important thing.

Edited by JT

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. That is why I propose drafting at least two linebackers in this draft. Personally though - I would not waste a high pick on an inside-backer.

We need demon playmakers off the edge - guys like:

Khalil Mack

Kyle Van Noy

Jeremy Attaochu

Marcus Smith

I would love to have an inside linebacker like Shayne Skov as well but he will be gone in the 3rd round and we cannot take 3 LBs in this draft.

We are oversized in my opinion. In terms of the rush outside line backers.

Osi is a deer in the head lights in coverage.

Moponga and Goodman are not athletic enough to play linebacker. Yet too small to play as 3-4 DE.

Beirman is the only good fit but was average at best in coverage.

We currently lack the personnel to completely change to the 3-4 which is why we are still going to be a hybrid defense.

Osi and Biermann are both ideal measurables for 3-4 rush LBers.

I think our starting LBers end up being Spoon, Worrilow, Osi, and Biermann. Unless Osi gets cut.

They are ideal size.

But between the two, I think Kroy has the skill set to do it.

Osi just rushers the passer, could he drop in coverage if need be?

Kroy was doing that before he got hurt.

Kroy was the perfect hybrid guy, could be a DE in a 4-3 and OLB in a 3-4.

I hope he comes back healthy.

I think Spoon and Kroy on the outside with Worrilow and Dent on the inside, playing off Babs, Solai, and Jackson could be a much improved from 7 compared to last year. If Osi stays, you sub him in for Solai on passing downs, kick Babs and Jackson inside at DT and put Osi and Kroy at DE to hunt.

I agree. That is why I propose drafting at least two linebackers in this draft. Personally though - I would not waste a high pick on an inside-backer.

We need demon playmakers off the edge - guys like:

Khalil Mack

Kyle Van Noy

Jeremy Attaochu

Marcus Smith

I would love to have an inside linebacker like Shayne Skov as well but he will be gone in the 3rd round and we cannot take 3 LBs in this draft.

Stealing my guys lol

We are oversized in my opinion. In terms of the rush outside line backers.

Osi is a deer in the head lights in coverage.

Moponga and Goodman are not athletic enough to play linebacker. Yet too small to play as 3-4 DE.

Beirman is the only good fit but was average at best in coverage.

We currently lack the personnel to completely change to the 3-4 which is why we are still going to be a hybrid defense.

Goodman is plenty LNG enough and strong enough to man the 5 tech. Maponga played as a standup LB at TCU

Mass understands the 34 he played 5 tech , which was wrong for him http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1684466/jonathan-massaquoi

Note the projects best as a standup hybrid part