Oh No! Mayock: Teddy Bridgewater's Pro Day Workout 'average At Best'

XXVIII-III

I'm really hoping the Texans go QB at 1, hope this doesn't affect it.

Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater didn't exactly help himself in his quest to be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 draft with his pro day workout Monday.

NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock and NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner weren't wowed by the workout, with Warner pointing out mechanical issues and Mayock saying "I expected a little bit more today."

Mayock said that while most quarterbacks have good pro days because they are able to script the workout and are throwing in a controlled environment, Bridgewater's workout was "average at best." Mayock said he saw "a lot of flutters, a lot of inaccuracy."

Bridgewater -- who has been working out with former NFL quarterback Chris Weinke for the past two months -- spoke with the NFL Network after his workout, which lasted about 30 minutes, and said, "I think it went pretty well."

Twenty-nine teams were represented at Louisville's pro day, and three head coaches whose teams pick in the top five were there -- Houston's Bill O'Brien, Jacksonville's Gus Bradley and Oakland's Dennis Allen. Other head coaches in attendance included Chip Kelly of the Philadelphia Eagles, Mike Zimmer of the Minnesota Vikings and Ken Whisenhunt of the Tennessee Titans.

Bridgewater currently is Mayock's top-ranked quarterback, but Mayock said Bridgewater's workout makes him "really anxious to go see (UCF's Blake) Bortles in two days." UCF's pro day is Wednesday.

Warner said Bridgewater had problems with his weight transfer, which led to some poor throws. "Accuracy starts with your base and balance," Warner said, and Bridgewater struggled in that regard Monday.

"I have seen a couple of balls hang on him a bit," Warner said.

Mayock said six of the top eight teams -- all but St. Louis, which picks second, and Atlanta, which picks sixth -- could use a quarterback. But given the strength at other positions in this draft, most notably at offensive tackle, with pass rushers and with wide receiver Sammy Watkins, "you'd better be stoned in love" with a quarterback to take him early because "the position players are so good. ... If you have any doubts about quarterbacks, you can't go there."

NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt was also in attendance, and noted that it was the longest QB workout that he can remember. Brandt reported that Bridgewater's accuracy was fine in the workout, and that he completed 57 of 65 passes with two drops. Brandt said Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner called the workout "pretty good."

Warner said he worked out with Bridgewater for an upcoming NFL Network show and found him to be "a heady guy" and a player "who wants to be great." Warner said Bridgewater's mechanical issues can be fixed but that a question is how long it will take.

Bridgewater isn't necessarily going to plummet in the draft on the basis of the one workout, and he obviously has a lot of good game tape or he wouldn't be as highly regarded as he is. But as Mayock pointed out, this is a draft filled with players at other positions who are considered to be elite, and Bridgewater's relatively lackluster workout is concerning. Given the depth of this quarterback class, a team -- if it is not convinced about Bridgewater, Bortles or Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel -- conceivably could find a signal-caller in the second or third round who could develop into a long-term starter.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000334589/article/analysts-teddy-bridgewaters-pro-day-workout-rather-lackluster

dont count out Murray and Garopolo

if Stephen Morris could actually lead an offense, I would throw him in as well. He has an elite arm and can make all the throws. Decision making and inconsistency is what will keep him from being a starter in the nfl. These top 3 aren't worth of a top 5 pick. Neither of them

It wouldn't shock me if no qbs were taken in the top 5. I can almost guarantee it.

Me either but I think at least one will go to the Raiders their GM is fighting for his job and after a disastrous FA he almost has to get the QB position settled. I certainly wouldn't take any of them in the top half of the 1st.

All this banter and gloating about the "Charmed Media Darling" QB's from the anointed Experts, not just here, but everywhere...................and not a whisper....................not ONE....................about AJ McCarron.

To me.............this guarantees AJ's ultimate success. LOL

I think everyone got off the Bridgewater wagon, he may even fall into the second round like Geno Smith.

I think a lot of teams will look and not see much of a difference in a Bortles/Manziel over just taking the risk with a McCarron/Carr/Metterberger.

I think teams go after these other gems and wait until the second round for a QB

It wouldn't shock me if no qbs were taken in the top 5. I can almost guarantee it.

Naw, someone is going to get taken.

I don't think this workout will heart him all that much but I've been saying this QB class is very pedestrian and I'd be surprised if any of the projected top picks end up being impact players/franchise QBs.

So he completes 87% of his passes and not mayock is dogging the guy?

Mayock is the one who had him rated number 1. He's basically dogging his own rating.

yeah just watch the highlights yourself and tell me those are great throws

http://www.nfl.com/v...ress-at-pro-day

indoors, no pressure, your own receivers, you should do better than that.

Edited by Romfal

I still think at least two QBs go before our pick. HOU needs a QB and will probably take Bortles. If they trade out of that spot they could probably still get him but I think JAX will take Johnny Football because they need to sell tickets and he could probably fill more seats than Clowney, Mack or one of the OTs. Worse case scenario our big board is wiped and we take Barr, Lewan or trade down.

I still think at least two QBs go before our pick. HOU needs a QB and will probably take Bortles. If they trade out of that spot they could probably still get him but I think JAX will take Johnny Football because they need to sell tickets and he could probably fill more seats than Clowney, Mack or one of the OTs. Worse case scenario our big board is wiped and we take Barr, Lewan or trade down.

I think Houston is the most likely to not take a QB. They can take who they think is BPA and then take a QB first time in the second round. If they have to, they can afford for the QB to sit behind Schaub for a little bit

I think Houston is the most likely to not take a QB. They can take who they think is BPA and then take a QB first time in the second round. If they have to, they can afford for the QB to sit behind Schaub for a little bit

nah they can't afford to do that. Those fans hate Schaub and he sucks. Keep him and their record will remain the same AND lose fans. And that affects their bottom line. They could take a QB in the 2nd. But Schaub isn't good enough to stay the starter.