What Do You Think About This Move?

LouDog.

I don't see it happening. Although it certainly doesn't mean he won't Wren did say a couple of days ago they won't make another move even if Beachy has tommy john. The main reason I dont think it will happen is the fact that in the offseasonTheo asked Wren to send a package built around Heyward or Justin Upton if he wanted him.

I don't understand the Jeff Samardjiza love. He's got talent, he's got the pitches, I'm not dying that. But he reminds me so much of Tommy Hanson in that he's a headcase who crumbles when things don't go his way. You can have all the talent in the world but it does you no good if you don't know how to use it. Now add in what it would take to get him and it's just not worth it.

Tommy Hanson was a headcase? I don't recall that.

If Hanson had one bad thing happen to him in an inning he was far more likely to unravel and make things worse than he was to buckle down and get out of the inning by limiting the damage. You could tell when Hanson was about to lose it too because you could see it all over his face that he was getting upset and was about to meltdown.

If Hanson had one bad thing happen to him in an inning he was far more likely to unravel and make things worse than he was to buckle down and get out of the inning by limiting the damage. You could tell when Hanson was about to lose it too because you could see it all over his face that he was getting upset and was about to meltdown.

Again, not my recollection at all. Except for one or two occassions, I remember Hanson as very poised and confident, even with runners on base. Later on I believe he was frustrated because of injuries, but that's not the same thing.

Hanson's issue was that he wasn't efficient. He'd throw 100 pitches in 5 innings, be worn out, and give up a couple of long balls before getting yanked. I don't expect Greg Maddux level efficiency from anyone but you have to do better than averaging 20 pitches an inning.

Again, not my recollection at all. Except for one or two occassions, I remember Hanson as very poised and confident, even with runners on base. Later on I believe he was frustrated because of injuries, but that's not the same thing.

Ok, we'll just have to disagree on that. Minor is Glavine like in that it's impossible to tell what the score is when he's pitching. I never got the same sense from Hanson. I could always tell if the Braves were winning or losing when he was pitching.

Ok, we'll just have to disagree on that. Minor is Glavine like in that it's impossible to tell what the score is when he's pitching. I never got the same sense from Hanson. I could always tell if the Braves were winning or losing when he was pitching.

Just because you made me curious, and because I'm bored at work, I looked through B-R.com to see if there was a stat that measured this. I think this is a good one... RE24. It takes winning percentage added, mixes it with leverage index, and puts it into an ERA+ style ranking. In other words, based on the batter/runner situations he found himself in, RE24 shows how much better a pitcher was at preventing runs, with a 0.0 being league average. Here were Hanson's numbers with the Braves:

2009: 20.6

2010: 10.2

2011: 0.5

2012: -1.3

So his first two seasons he pitched extremely well in clutch situations, 2011 was essentially league average, and his last season with Atlanta was a tick below average. Considering we're talking about intangible things like poise and mound presense it's not going to be exact, but it does probably bear out both of our recollections... early in his time with Atlanta, he was very good in tight situations, later on he was not.

And knowing what we know about his shoulder, it shouldn't be a surprise. It has to be frustrating for a guy who is used to being able to reach for something extra when he needs it to suddenly finding that something extra is gone because of physical issues. Maybe he let that frustration boil over in his body language those last couple of seasons, which you remember, while I mostly remember the good days.

This is why pitchers should rarely if ever "play through the pain".

Hanson's issue was that he wasn't efficient. He'd throw 100 pitches in 5 innings, be worn out, and give up a couple of long balls before getting yanked. I don't expect Greg Maddux level efficiency from anyone but you have to do better than averaging 20 pitches an inning.

That certainly was the case in 2012. The years before that, I disagree. He was often out of the game after 6 innings, but that's been the case with all of the Braves starting pitchers in the O'Ventbrel era.