40 Times.....nfl Combine/pro Days

g-dawg

This happens every year - guys run bad times at the NFL combine but seem to always redeem themselves with a marked improvement in the 40 time at the following pro-days.

However, if you recall - the "initial times" at the combine are hand-held times and when the electronic times come out later in the day, they usually are about 1/10th of a second slower.

So, why should anybody really believe the pro-day times anyway when they are usually not electronically timed?

Obviously 40 times are not end-all/be-all and just one of the tools - but I'm just sayin'.

I rarely use Pro Day results unless there was no Combine.

BTW...its pure ignorance to think the 40 means nothing.

Not what I was insinuating.

It is, however, ignorant to let a 40 time be anything more than a tiebreaker when evaluating prospects. Picking a combine warrior is just asking for trouble (see Dion Jordan).

Not what I was insinuating.

It is, however, ignorant to let a 40 time be anything more than a tiebreaker when evaluating prospects. Picking a combine warrior is just asking for trouble (see Dion Jordan).

Its not a tie breaker man, nor should it be the reason. It tells part of the story like anything else. Not sure why its so polarizing TBH...

Just realized I used the word ignorant. I am sorry to anyone I offended. I actually meant Its a mistake to think so. Starting to hate the word ignorant in the way its commonly used and again my most humble apologies.

People whine about the combine…..

Pro Days are an even bigger joke lol. Lets see how a kid does translating to the toughest stage in the world by testing him in his most comfortable environment.

Stopping and starting is probably more important than flat out speed as long as its not to much difference.

Stopping and starting is probably more important than flat out speed as long as its not to much difference.

Thing is, its more than that. The 40 tells a story, just an incomplete one. The thing is, there are so many other things to gauge as well as speed, strength, quickness, and hops. But its all summed up in one word...power. The combine gauges power. Not skill, heart, complete athletic ability, or drive. Just how much powero ne has. All differenttypes of power, but power no matter how you put it.

I love the combine and pro days, but as KoG said, they're a step in the process.

There are a handful of players that physically transcend any system every year and many who mainly fit certain schemes. The combine and pro days help assess those players.

Let's just put it this way...

Thanks to the combine we had a "Bring in this guy for ILB (Aaron Donald)" thread spawn here.

I saw that. I don't get that mode of thinking man.

40 times at the combine or pro day are my least favourite way of measuring an athlete's talents. I think it tells the least about a player out of any of the drills or tests they put them through.

Add to that the fact Pro days are usually highly inaccurate to boot and i don't pay them any heed.

40 times at the combine or pro day are my least favourite way of measuring an athlete's talents. I think it tells the least about a player out of any of the drills or tests they put them through.

Add to that the fact Pro days are usually highly inaccurate to boot and i don't pay them any heed.

I respect that.

I love to see the 40x. Had the pleasure to go head to head with Rondel Menendez(4.24 NFL Combine) in the 40 in our high school gym...I got smoked and ran a 4.49 hand timed. Don't remember what he ran but like I said I got smoked.

40x is relevant for some positions, like KOG said its a necessary, but incomplete story...see my homeboy Menendez.

some pro days are electronic, but they are always a better measure of true speed in my opinion. Ultra early wake up times, massive pressure, tons of testing before hand makes the combine times a bit off to me.

But everyone is tested under the same conditions. Every year.

The purpose isn't to actually see how fast you are but how fast compared to others. Everyone testing under the exact same conditions is the only way to do it.

I like apples to apples. If a guy runs only at his pro day, technically, he is slower than what is advertised. Anthony Barr ran 4.66 at the combine. He then ran 4.4 at his pro day. His combine official time is a more accurate time and measure of his speed. They manually start the clock, but the clock is stopped electronically at the end of 40 yards. So technically, there is still some error in the electronic time (its not like an Olympic time)

The handheld unofficial time is going to be more in line with what you see at the pro day. Those times are both just a guy with a stop watch hitting the button at the start and someone hitting the button again at the end. Some pro-days may use electronic times, but I'm not sure its that common. The surface would be different and that has to be taken into account. This unofficial hand held time you see at pro days is the way it has always been done for years. When you hear about 4.1 by Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson and Joey Galloway, those were hand held times. They would have been slower if they were half electronic times like the combine does today.

So for historical purposes, Barr is a 4.4, but moving forward, the timing is going to be more accurate. 4.4 guys don't run 4.6 unless they are hurt. That's just home cooking. It really bothers me that a lot of these guys are chickin' bleep and are scared to compete.

One thing I've tried to instill in my kid is always be ready to compete. Don't back down, put all your cards on the table.

Edited by isproab