I Need Help Understanding

How is it that a large number of fans deem the fixing the OL more important than fixing the defense. Do they feel that just the additions of Jackson and Soliai are enough to fix a defense that have for years been unable to rush the passer, lacks a marquee player that is a true gamechanger, consistently allowed over 4 ypc, can't get off the field on 3rd down, can't tackle, and now has a huge hole at FS. I agree robinson, matthews, lewan are great prospects but they play at positions that players tend to struggle more than they succeed during their rookie years. If you're gonna have to wait for a player to develop wouldn't it make more sense to grab moses or Turner in the 2nd while at the same time grabbing a player like Mack or Barr in the first? I like all the players likely to be available at 6 but I can't say I'd be happy getting a tackle especially since a starter quality tackle can be had in rds 1-3

Our defense has been trashy for years. When Matt Ryan had a chance to throw he was able to get us to the NFC championship game in spite of a lousy defense. (All though we did get a lot of take aways). Theory is with a fixes Oline the offense would be dynamic enough to carry the defense again

Our defense has been trashy for years. When Matt Ryan had a chance to throw he was able to get us to the NFC championship game in spite of a lousy defense. (All though we did get a lot of take aways). Theory is with a fixes Oline the offense would be dynamic enough to carry the defense again

I agree with this to a point in my eyes they have fixed the defense with the players they have bought in.

I have mentioned this in many threads but its back to bread & butter for us STOP THE RUN & POUND THE ROCK.

Think about it for a minute we have added legit run stoppers to this defense.We get teams to that 3rd and 5-8 yardage that opens up Nolan's playbook of how to get to the opposing QB.People will say smoke & mirrors but be honest in 2012 I saw alot of really good QB's look like Rook's against the Nolan scheme.

And a better defense wouldn't have allowed the 49ers back in the game and ultimately lose it for us.

How many games has he missed due to getting hit? Matt is a tough s.o.b. A lot tougher than our defense has been.

There's no questioning Ryan's toughness but think about it you give this guy a line that can run & pass block effectively how much better Ryan could be.

There's no way on gods green earth we let our GUY get punished like he did last year its just not a smart business decision.

You can fix the defense through the rest of the picks. In my opinion, if you have a franchise QB and are in the top 10 with the opportunity to take a bonafide 10 year tackle prospect, you do it....

or you can get the one of the top edge rushers and one of the top FS and still get a starter quality tackle like Billy Turner in the 3rd vs a top tackle a second tier edge rusher and a project at FS

There's no questioning Ryan's toughness but think about it you give this guy a line that can run & pass block effectively how much better Ryan could be.

There's no way on gods green earth we let our GUY get punished like he did last year its just not a smart business decision.

And how effective would he be watching from the side lines because we still can't get to the QB on third and longs?

How Ryan made it out last season alive is beyond me. But we need O line help bad. I think a O line has to be built primarily through the draft with some FA help. A D could be bought and premier players hit FA all the time.

If this draft is as deep as they say I really see us getting players for next few years on both sides of the ball.

It's gonna be hard to mess this one up.

How is it that a large number of fans deem the fixing the OL more important than fixing the defense. Do they feel that just the additions of Jackson and Soliai are enough to fix a defense that have for years been unable to rush the passer, lacks a marquee player that is a true gamechanger, consistently allowed over 4 ypc, can't get off the field on 3rd down, can't tackle, and now has a huge hole at FS. I agree robinson, matthews, lewan are great prospects but they play at positions that players tend to struggle more than they succeed during their rookie years. If you're gonna have to wait for a player to develop wouldn't it make more sense to grab moses or Turner in the 2nd while at the same time grabbing a player like Mack or Barr in the first? I like all the players likely to be available at 6 but I can't say I'd be happy getting a tackle especially since a starter quality tackle can be had in rds 1-3

Or maybe we already have players on ol developing as we speak. Im not a know it all, but i agree we need defense bad and be able to run the ball and control the clock when we WANT to.

And how effective would he be watching from the side lines because we still can't get to the QB on third and longs?

So you don't think with the additions we have added they free up guys we already have or the Nolan scheme which confused alot of good QB's 2012 can work in 3rd and long?

Can't fix everything.

And the argument can be made that starting quality OLBs can be found in the 2-3 rounds...

that's exactly how I feel, but realistically I can't see draft us going OL at 6 simply because of we signed carimi which tice had to endorse, asamoah is pioli's guy & baker is not going no where no time soon. So I think if we stay at 6 Mack is the guy but I would rather trade down, get more picks & get Clinton-Dix because the fall off in talent after HaHa & Pryor at safety is steeper than the fall off at OL & OLB to me & I believe Massaquoi & Maponga should have a shot at OLB. The biggest needs in order to me is FS OT OLB if we trade down most likely we fill all 3 in the 1st 2 rounds

This team's identity is it's offense. We just paid our QB $100+ million and will soon be paying Julio a fortune. We're dead last at running the football. Roddy's career is coming to a close and it would be nice if Ryan actually had enough time to throw to him. With a crap O-line, all our great skill position players like Matt Ryan, Roddy White, Julio Jones, and Steven Jackson are just for show. By not fixing the O-line, we're basically paying all those guys for nothing.

In case you haven't noticed OP, the front office is working on both lines at the moment. But if one area has any more importance than the other than it's the offensive line. This team is about being dominant on offense and being okay on defense. Offensive line is more important to this team's success. After what we witnessed last year, I don't see how anyone could think keeping Matt upright isn't the number one priority. That, and helping to make sure we're not DEAD LAST at running the ball.

The only problem with stopping opposing offenses running game and getting them to third and long is that we were the worst team in the nfl on third down defense last year. The defense allowed opposing offenses to convert on 46% of their third downs. On offense somehow with all the line trouble we were able to convert our own third downs 43% of the time placing us 5th in the nfl.

It wasn't due to the injuries on defense either, we started the first half of the year allowing 43% third down conversions against our defense and ended with a horrid 48%. Of all the tackles OT's taken in the first round last year not one of them even had a positive pro football focus rating in their first season. Sam Baker was a full 20 points higher than the highest of that group before he got injured. I don't see how we can take an offensive tackle in the first when we he won't develop for the next few years and would be more of a liability in his first few seasons.

Or maybe we already have players on ol developing as we speak. Im not a know it all, but i agree we need defense bad and be able to run the ball and control the clock when we WANT to.

that's the mindset I'm in too. We have what 5-6 OT on the roster right now But only 1 proven pass rusher and he's an aging 4-3 DE.

The defense gave up the lead despite multiple touchdowns scored by our offense. If the defense is slightly better we don't need an insanely talented offense.

Our offensive line was very over rated as despite keeping Matt clean, we still had NO run game. And with that we almost made it to the SB. Lets get some young talent for our front 7. Lots of OTs available. Better than the available pass rushers.

This team's identity is it's offense. We just paid our QB $100+ million and will soon be paying Julio a fortune. We're dead last at running the football. Roddy's career is coming to a close and it would be nice if Ryan actually had enough time to throw to him. With a crap O-line, all our great skill position players like Matt Ryan, Roddy White, Julio Jones, and Steven Jackson are just for show. By not fixing the O-line, we're basically paying all those guys for nothing.

In case you haven't noticed OP, the front office is working on both lines at the moment. But if one area has any more importance than the other than it's the offensive line. This team is about being dominant on offense and being okay on defense. Offensive line is more important to this team's success. After what we witnessed last year, I don't see how anyone could think keeping Matt upright isn't the number one priority. That, and helping to make sure we're not DEAD LAST at running the ball.

Was the OL that much better in 2012 than in 2013 you know when Matt set career highs. We're we 10 yards away from the SB because our offense came up short or because the defense folded in the second half. For the record I witnessed an offense that despite having a terrible O line no running game and missing it's top 2 weapons for most of the year still out perform a defense that was only missing spoon and kroy.

Why not do both? No reason can't upgrade tackles and still add pieces to defense. Btw we have drafted several young defensive players in last two drafts--they should be even better in their second and third year. Seems every draft, folks jettison previously drafted players.

Why not do both? No reason can't upgrade tackles and still add pieces to defense. Btw we have drafted several young defensive players in last two drafts--they should be even better in their second and third year. Seems every draft, folks jettison previously drafted players.

I agree but wouldn't you agree that we have no impact/game changer on defense. Clowney Mack Barr all have the potential to be that kind of player. You can still get a quality starting tackle in the second or third but there's not gonna be a defensive player like them after the first.