Free Agents-First Impressions

tone357

I just watched a small amount of film on our newly acquired free agents. From what I saw, I hope they are better than I think. Here's my impressions:

#1- Tyson Jackson. He appears to be the best of the lot. Plays hard, does not give up ground, and hustles every play. IMHO, clearly the best pick up.

#2- Jon Asamoah. His footwork is his Achilles heel. The guy get's caught flat footed quite a bit from what I saw which makes him vulnerable. He's better at run blocking than pass blocking.

#3- Paul Soliai. This dude is slooooow!! He takes up a lot of space, but he want be making any plays that aren't run straight at him.

This season will be interesting.

I just watched a small amount of film on our newly acquired free agents. From what I saw, I hope they are better than I think. Here's my impressions:

#1- Tyson Jackson. He appears to be the best of the lot. Plays hard, does not give up ground, and hustles every play. IMHO, clearly the best pick up.

#2- Jon Asamoah. His footwork is his Achilles heel. The guy get's caught flat footed quite a bit from what I saw which makes him vulnerable. He's better at run blocking than pass blocking.

#3- Paul Soliai. This dude is slooooow!! He takes up a lot of space, but he want be making any plays that aren't run straight at him.

This season will be interesting.

NT's aren't usually known for their Speed, i wouldn't knock the guy for it. He makes a good few plays in the backfield, so he can do what he needs to.

Asamoah definitely is a better run blocker, but he's above average at pass blocking too. After GR he'll look like jesus himself blocking for Ryan though i can assure you.

These were just my first impressions. I had never heard of nor seen either of these players. What I listed were the things that jumped out from watching a few plays from each guy. I saw a couple of plays where Asamoah was caught flat footed, and another where he got juked and if the QB had not gotten rid of the ball....... Soliai's lack of speed, taking into account his massive size really stands out. Almost lumbering speed. I'm trusting in the staff at the Branch. I'm sure they watched more plays than I did.... I hope they did.

These were just my first impressions. I had never heard of nor seen either of these players. What I listed were the things that jumped out from watching a few plays from each guy. I saw a couple of plays where Asamoah was caught flat footed, and another where he got juked and if the QB had not gotten rid of the ball....... Soliai's lack of speed, taking into account his massive size really stands out. Almost lumbering speed. I'm trusting in the staff at the Branch. I'm sure they watched more plays than I did.... I hope they did.

I can tell. wink.png

Doesn't matter as much if Soliai is "slow." He's a mammoth of a man who eats up tons of space which is his position's roll in 3-4 defensive looks, and this frees (see another poster's "Paul Worrilow Has Been Freed" thread for more info) up the linebackers to make plays.