Matching Remaining Needs With Free Agency, Draft

egoprime II

As it stands, our needs (as I see it) are as follows:

Starting TE, Starting FS, Starting OT, pass rusher, potential starting RB, backups at CB, DT espeically, everywhere else in general.

Finding starting OT and FS in free agency, well that ship has sailed. Even RBs are too expensive right now. All the good Pass Rushers are signed already, the ones left have thier warts and are expensive to boot.

We already have four veteran DTs signed plus Robertson and Goodwin. We can use a backup there, preferably a draft pick to develop.

The only starting position I can see us filling thru FA, is TE. There are a few out there, of all shapes, sizes, abilities, age ranges....both long and short term fixes. We could use the experience a FA TE offers, as well as one cheap but experienced CB to add some experience to our CB corps. Signing two of these types players would probably just about use up our available cap money (my estimate, around 13 million) while leaving enough to sign our draftees.

So it looks to me like we need to draft some combination of OT, FS, Pass Rusher and RB early on. Then find backups\developmental types at D line, DB, even O line and WR IF posible.

Draft might look like this:

1 OT Robinson (or Mack then Morgan Moses or Tiny Richardson in the 2nd)

2 LB Jeremiah Attaochu (or Scott Crichton or any number of pass rushing OLB\DE)

3 SS Terrance Brooks (or Ed Reynolds, Jimmie Ward)

4 RB Charles Sims (or Lache Seastrunk, tons of backs)

5 DT Daniel McCullers Tennessee (6'8" 350)

5 FS/CB/KR/ST Marqueston Huff Wyoming (5'11" 198)

6 DL Brent Urban Virginia (6'6" 298) If FB Copeland is here.....

7 WR Jeff Janis Saginaw Valley (6'1" 220)

7 LB Shaquil Barrett Colorado State (6'2" 250)

7 TE Gator Haskins Marshall (6'1" 244)

We have room on our roster for all these giuys. Add in a vet at TE and maybe CB, and we are good to go.

Just to be very honest, what is there not to like? You covered everything. In this draft, its hard to not at least seem good. There are a lot of good players. I will list all of the ones you have, I also had on my mock, or my list.

Daniel McCullers

Marqueston Huff

Intrigues by Jeff Janis. Out of +1's though.

Just to be very honest, what is there not to like? You covered everything. In this draft, its hard to not at least seem good. There are a lot of good players. I will list all of the ones you have, I also had on my mock, or my list.

Daniel McCullers

Marqueston Huff

Intrigues by Jeff Janis. Out of +1's though.

First off thanks for the props smile.png

Yeah you tutned me on to Huff. I think of him as overall DB depth, both S and CB.

Our coaches worked wtih Janis in the Senior Bowl, along with Attaochu, McCullers, Sims and a guard, I think his name was Halapio. Reportedly we liked all of them. FACT: Halapio is reportedly the only O lineman in Senior Bowl practices, who was effective blocking Aaron Donald.

I believe I read where you like Crockett Gilmore? I am gonna have to read up on him....but in this scenario, I see us signing a vet TE to offset Toilolo's inexperience. Who is better, Toilolo or Gilmore?

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. smile.png

Edited by egoprime II

First off thanks for the props smile.png

Yeah you tutned me on to Huff. I think of him as overall DB depth, both S and CB.

Our coaches worked wtih Janis in the Senior Bowl, along with Attaochu, McCullers, Sims and a guard, I think his name was Halapio. Reportedly we liked all of them. FACT: Halapio is reportedly the only O lineman in Senior Bowl practices, who was effective blocking Aaron Donald.

I believe I read where you like Crockett Gilmore? I am gonna have to read up on him....but in this scenario, I see us signing a vet TE to offset Toilolo's inexperience. Who is better, Toilolo or Gilmore?

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. smile.png

I'm just glad to see the board going back to the way it was when I came here. Means a lot you actually read my posts. I mean that. Huff is a beast man. Pryor is better IMO, but Huff is all around. Alford type player. I would not be surprised if Alford were moved to FS and we drafted another fast CB.

Other guys you might like if you have the chance to check him out. Kenny Guitton, Ladarius Perkins, Chad Abram (FB/RB/Utility Back), Bennie Fowler, Kenny Bell, Jacob Pederson, Cornelius Lucas, Kevin Danser, Jeoffrey Pagan, Boseko Lokombo, Roosevelt Nix (ILB/DT/DE/OLB/FB), Gabe Ikard, Jabari Price, Jacques Washington, Hakeem Smith, Honorable Mention: Vinnie Sunseri 6th round.

All except Sunseri they are all UDFA. Thing is they all have one of these in common. All were 1-2 day picks except...

1) Lack of PT because they were a back-up due to much better talent, or the scheme did not call for the position.

2) Something mental, but no so much in a negative way. Just maybe a mental block in football. ie: Started playing late...etc.

3) Measureables...

There are always cap casualties after the draft. TD has gotten 2-3 of these super cheap guys pretty much every year. So all I am saying is that decent RTs might pop up along other players in need. I would like add as much depth no matter how the draft works out in as many positions as possible.

I'm just glad to see the board going back to the way it was when I came here. Means a lot you actually read my posts. I mean that. Huff is a beast man. Pryor is better IMO, but Huff is all around. Alford type player. I would not be surprised if Alford were moved to FS and we drafted another fast CB.

Other guys you might like if you have the chance to check him out. Kenny Guitton, Ladarius Perkins, Chad Abram (FB/RB/Utility Back), Bennie Fowler, Kenny Bell, Jacob Pederson, Cornelius Lucas, Kevin Danser, Jeoffrey Pagan, Boseko Lokombo, Roosevelt Nix (ILB/DT/DE/OLB/FB), Gabe Ikard, Jabari Price, Jacques Washington, Hakeem Smith, Honorable Mention: Vinnie Sunseri 6th round.

All except Sunseri they are all UDFA. Thing is they all have one of these in common. All were 1-2 day picks except...

1) Lack of PT because they were a back-up due to much better talent, or the scheme did not call for the position.

2) Something mental, but no so much in a negative way. Just maybe a mental block in football. ie: Started playing late...etc.

3) Measureables...

Oh yeah KOG, I read your posts, and g-dawg, FFS1970, Gritz, Draftnut57, several others.....I learn stuff from you guys. That plus my experience (been watching the Falcons since 1977) gets me by. :)

Funny you mention CBs...after some of these insane 40 times at the combine, I could actually see TD drafing a CB in the first.... I think Alford would be a terrific center fielder for us.

And I actually know some of those guys you mention, LB Lokombo was in your last mock, right? Pederson is a TE....A-Town turned me on to Nix, I mocked him as an UDFA on the practice squad a couple of times. Sunseri just might be a steal as a safety....

I think, coaches get too caught up in scheme fit players. At some point, you have to pay less attention to the athlete side, and pay more attention to the warrior side, the football player side. Lots of good players out there, if you are willing to make exceptions when it comes to measurables.

What do you think of Telvin Smith? I read up on Smith, seems to me he just might be the type of tweener LB-Safety that could play in our nickelback packages. That dude is FAST , 4.5 forty....can cover TEs, and play the run. Started out at MLB but stopped growing so the coaches moved him to OLB.

There are always cap casualties after the draft. TD has gotten 2-3 of these super cheap guys pretty much every year. So all I am saying is that decent RTs might pop up along other players in need. I would like add as much depth no matter how the draft works out in as many positions as possible.

Roger that.

One thing....at some point, we need to stop picking up other teams releases, and draft our own guys who come in from the start and grow with the Falcons. And its way past time, for TD to draft a butt kicking mauling de-cleating type for our O line. Those guys don't grow on trees, and the only way I see an RT getting released after the draft is if there is something not right with them, like maybe thier age.

If Robinson is there, we need to draft him.

Love it. But am not on the McCullers wagon.

McCullers is one of those guys everyone disagrees on as to where he is as a player. But one fact is pretty much accepted, that the guy takes up two blockers a lot of the time, which is one of the things you want out of a 3-4 lineman.

Personally I would love to draft Nix, Hageman or Truitt. The fact is, our D line starters are pretty much set, what we are needing now are rotation types. The only way we can get those types players is to ignore other positions, which we should not do, unless one of these guys falls to us like say in the 3rd round.

Maybe Ellis, or Carrethers, or Zerr would be better players for right now. But McCullers has an upside that those guys do not have. The 4th round onward is where you take chances on those type players, IMHO.

So if Clowneu and Mack are both still on the board when we draft at #6, you take Mack?

Oh no, I 'm not falling for that one, heh....:P You won't see ME saying that....

The general consensus is, Clowney is gone at six. I don't think Clowney is even a consideration. No one is as sure about Mack, or Robinson, or Matthews.

And the only way I want us to pass on an OT in the first, is if our FO feels an almost as good OT will be there for us in the 2nd. But we must get a quality OT out of this draft.

As it stands, our needs (as I see it) are as follows:

Starting TE, Starting FS, Starting OT, pass rusher, potential starting RB, backups at CB, DT espeically, everywhere else in general.

Finding starting OT and FS in free agency, well that ship has sailed. Even RBs are too expensive right now. All the good Pass Rushers are signed already, the ones left have thier warts and are expensive to boot.

We already have four veteran DTs signed plus Robertson and Goodwin. We can use a backup there, preferably a draft pick to develop.

The only starting position I can see us filling thru FA, is TE. There are a few out there, of all shapes, sizes, abilities, age ranges....both long and short term fixes. We could use the experience a FA TE offers, as well as one cheap but experienced CB to add some experience to our CB corps. Signing two of these types players would probably just about use up our available cap money (my estimate, around 13 million) while leaving enough to sign our draftees.

So it looks to me like we need to draft some combination of OT, FS, Pass Rusher and RB early on. Then find backups\developmental types at D line, DB, even O line and WR IF posible.

Draft might look like this:

1 OT Robinson (or Mack then Morgan Moses or Tiny Richardson in the 2nd)

2 LB Jeremiah Attaochu (or Scott Crichton or any number of pass rushing OLB\DE)

3 SS Terrance Brooks (or Ed Reynolds, Jimmie Ward)

4 RB Charles Sims (or Lache Seastrunk, tons of backs)

5 DT Daniel McCullers Tennessee (6'8" 350)

5 FS/CB/KR/ST Marqueston Huff Wyoming (5'11" 198)

6 DL Brent Urban Virginia (6'6" 298) If FB Copeland is here.....

7 WR Jeff Janis Saginaw Valley (6'1" 220)

7 LB Shaquil Barrett Colorado State (6'2" 250)

7 TE Gator Haskins Marshall (6'1" 244)

We have room on our roster for all these giuys. Add in a vet at TE and maybe CB, and we are good to go.

Personally I love

I hope we dont trade up at all this draft and end up with a big draft class..we need all the depth and extra starters that we can get.

Last year, TD said we had no room for 11 rookies (we had that many picks) so he felt obliged to trade some away. We ended up with the eight drafted rookies (one on IR) plus four UDFAs.

Looking at our roster, we have room for all ten draft picks, I think. Some guys are going to get injured, its just a reality in the NFL. So I sure hope TD does not start trading picks away again....not in this draft, we can use them all.

Alford as safety? That's interesting. It'd be easier to get a speedy cb later, if that was the case. Alford is a tenacious little rascal for sure.

I still think champ would be a fine signing to work in some at safety

IF we moved Alford to safety....there are several CBs we could maybe get in the third, like Gaines or Jean-Baptiste. Jean-Baptiste intrigues me, but he is raw, not really ready to go yet. Plus he is from Nebraska.

Anyone know why the Falcons should maybe avoid Nebraska CBs?