Serious Free Agency And Draft

caver50

I'm not here to discuss any particular player, but I'm here to say that the first time in a long time, I believe that the Falcons are serious about their selections and all in for this draft and FA period. Because of this, I'm more excited than usual. The draft is so deep and I feel this

will really be a benefit for the players we need and besides FA isn't over yet. Can't wait for tomorrow.

The one problem with a large free agency pool and a deep draft class is that everybody gets better by the same amount --you have to have a very good eye to pick those players that have a little something extra if you plan to leapfrog over the other teams this year.

I think the Falcons brass have always been serious about FA and the draft, I just don't know if they had a clear direction. Now, I believe they know who they want to be on offense and defense.

They want tough, gritty lines and a physical defense. They want to run the ball between the tackles and they want guys who can get after the QB on defense. They used to run the ball nonstop when Turner first got here, then evolved into this finesse style of offense that had no true identity that we know today.

On defense, they wanted to play small but fast but always found themselves getting pushed around by the 4th quarter once their legs had given out. All of this was good enough to make it to the playoffs but no one believed we were serious contenders because everyone knew our achilles heel was a physical opponent. Now we have decided we want to be the physical opponent and I couldn't be more excited.

another point is that we fans do not have any idea just how much input the position coaches have on player selection. Just how big an influence will Tice have in oline players selected this year,,

How much did Pat Hill have last year. They drafted none --did Hill say "I'm good to go"

What if Tice says "don't draft HIM I can't coach him."

The one problem with a large free agency pool and a deep draft class is that everybody gets better by the same amount --you have to have a very good eye to pick those players that have a little something extra if you plan to leapfrog over the other teams this year.

We pretty much have already leapfrogged the majority of the teams before last year. The injury big hit us though and our O-line fell apart with letting young guys play who weren't ready. So if we improve are weak area and make it a strength like the rest of the team which we are close. We will be right back in the SB hunt.