2Nd Round No-Brainer.....next To Willy Mo......

Stoic

I think Bucannon will be the pick in the second, the fact that he played under Nolan in the senior bowl probably helps his case to be picked in the second. I love the kids game, and like many others he reminds me a TON of Eric Reid who I like a lot last year, he has good ball skills and is always looks to take the ball away (intereceptions, strips, big hits, etc..) I think he could man the FS spot for a long time, like many said he looked good playing FS at WSU. He definitely wouldn't be a reach in the second either, Mayock said he could slip into the first round, so how is grabbing him in the second a reach ?

I wouldn't mind the move at all, but if a guy like Morgan Mosses is on the board I think it would be a very tough decisision for the Falcons to make, Mosses is an excellent OT prospect as well. But anyways, I'd be fine with it, and I'd be fine with him starting on Defense as well.

We need a vet back there also I hate the idea of a Rook & Moore back there as primarily our starters.

Moore is no more than average in coverage.

The Rook at the next level unless he has very good instincts will struggle mightily in coverage also.

I really hope Champ Bailey is still on the FA watch list for us.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason I am inclined to draft a FS starting in the 2nd rd is because the rest is 'relatively' repaired. The only glaring hole is at FS right now. It could certainly be debated that we need more talent or better depth at various positions on the front 7. I would ask Which players in particular do you want to replace in the front 7? Our 3-4 DE/OLBs recently drafted (Goodman/Mass, Mop) will be given a chance to show their goods now that we finally have some big/strong guys up front. We wont replace them this year. Our 1st rd should be a OT or DE/OLB. Our new DL FAs will help a lot in limiting yardage on 1st/2nd down. I didnt say anything about an expensive safety. I think we should draft our favorite FS after the 1st pick. All the better if he is under the radar and can be had in the 3rd.

Who is our pass rush threat? Osi? 6 sacks against three lost QBs and only 1.5 the rest of the season? No pressure makes it tough for all FS. Until you get a pass rush, FS will continue to be a victims job. No way around that.

Why put a costly resource in a position to struggle?

This draft is too deep at DT and OT to be drafting a safety with what's basically a first round talent spot. I can see us going safety with our 3'rd, maybe trading back up into the late 2'nd for one, but #38 is too high of a pick in this draft for one.

I agree 100% & we also don't need another head hunter (we have Willy Mo for that plus Alford can be a very physical CB), we need someone who can cover & isn't afraid of contact.

With all that in mind, I REALLY hope we take a look at former NC State starting CB Dontae Johnson who is projected to be a FS in the NFL, and should be available somewhere in the late 3rd-early 5th range.

He is 6'2" 200lbs, so size is good for a FS

At the combine:

he ran a 4.45 40

10 yard split of 1.53

had a 38.5" vertical

6.82 3 cone drill

Positives

• Excellent size and frame, boasting the third-tallest measurement of defensive backs at the NFL Scouting Combine.
  • Ran an extremely impressive 4.45 40 time at the NFL combine, which would be impressive enough if he didn’t play at that speed, but Johnson was rarely beaten downfield due to speed issues. He plays as fast as he measures, which is very rare for his size.
  • Tracks the ball well when playing off-man coverage, as he reads the quarterbacks eyes, and is improving at locating the ball once the receiver starts reacting to an incoming pass.
  • Surprisingly smooth and fluid hips for a big player. Most guys with his size are stiff, limiting his burst after changing directions. Having clean movements raises his projected ceiling because he should be able to recover better than lesser athletes.
  • Post-snap technique is good, and he showed improvement in backpedal and footwork at the Senior Bowl in January. He stays low, with his shoulders and feet squared.
  • Good closing burst when the ball is arriving to the target. His mixture of quickness and length will make quarterbacks have to thread the needle on the sideline. Poorly placed balls can be intercepted.
  • Used his size well when he faced Vanderbilt star wide receiver Jordan Matthews in 2012 and also at the 2014 Senior Bowl. His length bothered the All-SEC receiver, and he was able to deflect multiple passes.
  • Physically strong player, as he could shed blocks well and had no problems tackling ball-carriers.
  • One of the best tacklers in the draft class, Johnson shows the ability to be a dependable, wrap-up tackler. His eagerness to finish the play is not common to see from a cornerback.
  • Spent time at both free safety and cornerback, and with the NFL putting a premium on size, he will likely play cornerback. He has a high ceiling due to general lack of on-field experience and the growth he’s shown in the last few months, mixed with his tremendous physical tools.
  • Played mostly in off-man and Cover 3 zone, and he has great press potential. His strength and initial punch flashed that he can improve over time.
  • Negatives
  • Play recognition is still underdeveloped, as he doesn’t react quickly to run plays. He is often well downfield on run plays, unable to make an impact within the first 10 yards.
  • Needs to clean up his footwork on comeback routes. He lost his balance too often because he will give up too much space between himself and the receiver and scrambles to get back to the receiver. He looked better at this at the combine, but can he do this in pads?
  • Struggled locating the ball while in man coverage at times, instead focusing and reacting to the receiver watching the ball. This will lead to penalties and missed turnover opportunities. As he becomes familiar and more comfortable at the position, he could improve here.
  • Change of direction is pretty good for a man his size, but it is not elite. He has to anticipate routes better and play the break in the route before it happens.
  • Matchup against Clemson star receiver Sammy Watkins exposed his acceleration and lateral quickness. Although Watkins is a rare athlete, Johnson clearly did not have the ability to mirror him and stay with him at all times.

All of his positives are exactly what we need from a FS, and did not get out of Decoud. All the negatives are based on him playing CB. As a FS, most of these would be coachable or just non-issues.

Who is our pass rush threat? Osi? 6 sacks against three lost QBs and only 1.5 the rest of the season? No pressure makes it tough for all FS. Until you get a pass rush, FS will continue to be a victims job. No way around that.

Why put a costly resource in a position to struggle?

I believe the signings of Jackson & Soliai will help the pass rush immensely. The two of them will occupy 3-4 OL offering a ton of lanes for other players to get in the backfield. Also, the 1st pick could likely be a top shelf pass rusher. If it is OT instead then I might concede to go OLB in the 2nd. But the pressure will be coming a lot more this season and it is not because a massive talent upgrade was necessary. We need a starter at FS. Why bother getting rid of Decoud if not to upgrade?

I agree 100% & we also don't need another head hunter (we have Willy Mo for that plus Alford can be a very physical CB), we need someone who can cover & isn't afraid of contact.

With all that in mind, I REALLY hope we take a look at former NC State starting CB Dontae Johnson who is projected to be a FS in the NFL, and should be available somewhere in the late 3rd-early 5th range.

Bucannon may be perceived as only a head hunter, but he showed excellent coverage ability at the Senior Bowl. How about a great coverage safety that can also knock you out? Yes, please.

& cheers for the Dontae mention. He also looks like a good fit.

I believe the signings of Jackson & Soliai will help the pass rush immensely. The two of them will occupy 3-4 OL offering a ton of lanes for other players to get in the backfield. Also, the 1st pick could likely be a top shelf pass rusher. If it is OT instead then I might concede to go OLB in the 2nd. But the pressure will be coming a lot more this season and it is not because a massive talent upgrade was necessary. We need a starter at FS. Why bother getting rid of Decoud if not to upgrade?

There is a significant group of options between DeCoud and using the #37 picks at the position. It is overcompensating. You can continue to believe DeCoud going from decent to horrible in one season is all on him, or you can open your eyes and see the real reason, complete with subsequent limitations that would be placed on future players at FS.

Bucannon in the 2nd i could live with just prefer in the 3rd

Of course we'd all prefer him in the 3rd. But we cut DeCoud and didn't sign Byrd, Delmas, or any FS. Champ nor Woodson has the speed to really cover the field from centerfield at this point anyway and Champ Bailey is one of my all time favorite players.

If we pass on Bucannon because we think the value is better in the 3rd and a team like San Fran takes him late 2nd -- we don't get him, and here are also no quality free safeties left so we will have a MAJOR hole at free safety that we just can't cover up.

While taking an OT like Kouandjio or a TE like Seferian-Jenkins would be great in the 2nd, we can perform well on O without them. We really just need a receiving weapon to complement Toilolo (I love ASJ and would applaud the pick tho) like AC Moore or taking a chance on a ? Finally like a Lyerla in the 7th. Cyrus would be a sick RT who can take over left tackle, but we still have Baker and we have Johnson and Holmes at RT.

We have NO ONE at FS. And I promise you, Deone is worth our 2nd round pick as well. Aside from OLB it is our only defensive need. We have 3 starting CBs, 3 good ILBs, a ton of DLs, and a good SS.

Adding Clowney or Mack or even Barr in the 1st to go with Kroy at OLB and Deone to go with Moore at S --- could very well mean we have a great defense this year.

We can add an OT in the 3rd like JaWuan James who is an underrated left tackle. And it looks like OG Cyril Richardson will fall too. Seantrel could be available in the 4th or 5th.

Ideally I'd love to see 1) OLB Jadaveon Clowney 2) TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins 3) FS Deone Bucannon 4) WR Martavis Bryant 5) RB Ka'Deem Carey 6) OT Seantrel Henderson. But I wouldn't mind taking Deone one round earlier -- he may go before we even pick in Rd 2 -- and then focusing on a receiving TE later.

Edited by The Dirty Bird

Bucannon or Ward.

Bucannon is a lot like Willymo, neither is great in coverage but they both are instinctual guys that can hit, will make ints in zone using their eyes.

Two safeties like that put a lot of stress on our young corners but in terms of bringing in more attitude Bucannon does it and it continues to ramp up our efforts against the run.

I would be in favor of signing Champ to play FA in certain packages and drafting Bucannon. I like what he brings but the importance for Bucannon is knowing his job.

I don't need him to be great vs the pass but I need him to know his job, get to his spots and not make mental errors vs the pass, a lot like Willymo and them hit, bring that physicality.

"No brainer" would certainly describe spending #37 on a SS prospect lucky to crack the top 75, with the idea of making him a FS.

Dude no offense but he is a free safety, not a strong safety. You clearly haven't watched him play. The guys who spend their lives breaking down film and ranking draft prospects acknowledge that he is a free safety with great range, instincts, and is an excellent tackler -- best former tackling FS I've ever seen on tape which is impressive considering he comes flying into the frame with 4.35-ish speed.

Just because he is 6'1 with some size doesn't make him a strong safety. At all. Watch his film then join the Deone Bucannon conversation. I understand we have a big need at OT and TE, and there may be good OTs and TEs at our 2nd rounder, but there won't be good free safeties after our 2nd rounder and there will be good OTs and TEs.

McShay rightfully says this kid can rise into the end of the 1st round -- he is the biggest, strongest, fastest safety of the top 4 safeties and he generates the most turnovers via INTs. Word out of the Senior Bowl was that our coaches LOVED Bucannon -- big time. They watched fly around the back end breaking up passes masking CBs flaws by preventing deep completions, and watched him FLY up in run support and snuff out the run before it got into the second level. Kid is the real deal.

Don't let your view of our team needs cloud your assessment of Deone as a player. That is a mistake.

He would look great next to Willy Mo. He looks like a DB the 'Hawks would like.

http://www.nfl.com/c...nnon?id=2543769

http://www.nfl.com/v...-Deone-Bucannon

Weaknesses

Average speed -- struggles to recover from missteps and will not track anyone down from behind. Some tightness in his hips. Man-coverage limitations (struggles to match with slot receivers). Can be overaggressive and miss tackles. Does not always arrive under control in space. Misjudges angles

nah hoss I need my safeties making the tackle

Of course we'd all prefer him in the 3rd. But we cut DeCoud and didn't sign Byrd, Delmas, or any FS. Champ nor Woodson has the speed to really cover the field from centerfield at this point anyway and Champ Bailey is one of my all time favorite players.

If we pass on Bucannon because we think the value is better in the 3rd and a team like San Fran takes him late 2nd -- we don't get him, and here are also no quality free safeties left so we will have a MAJOR hole at free safety that we just can't cover up.

While taking an OT like Kouandjio or a TE like Seferian-Jenkins would be great in the 2nd, we can perform well on O without them. We really just need a receiving weapon to complement Toilolo (I love ASJ and would applaud the pick tho) like AC Moore or taking a chance on a ? Finally like a Lyerla in the 7th. Cyrus would be a sick RT who can take over left tackle, but we still have Baker and we have Johnson and Holmes at RT.

We have NO ONE at FS. And I promise you, Deone is worth our 2nd round pick as well. Aside from OLB it is our only defensive need. We have 3 starting CBs, 3 good ILBs, a ton of DLs, and a good SS.

Adding Clowney or Mack or even Barr in the 1st to go with Kroy at OLB and Deone to go with Moore at S --- could very well mean we have a great defense this year.

We can add an OT in the 3rd like JaWuan James who is an underrated left tackle. And it looks like OG Cyril Richardson will fall too. Seantrel could be available in the 4th or 5th.

Ideally I'd love to see 1) OLB Jadaveon Clowney 2) TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins 3) FS Deone Bucannon 4) WR Martavis Bryant 5) RB Ka'Deem Carey 6) OT Seantrel Henderson. But I wouldn't mind taking Deone one round earlier -- he may go before we even pick in Rd 2 -- and then focusing on a receiving TE later.

So in your conclusion you agree 3rd in hope 2nd to make sure we get him

There is a significant group of options between DeCoud and using the #37 picks at the position. It is overcompensating. You can continue to believe DeCoud going from decent to horrible in one season is all on him, or you can open your eyes and see the real reason, complete with subsequent limitations that would be placed on future players at FS.

Of all those options how many would you feel comfortable with starting this year? And who? Personally I only see a few near the top of the draft. Wait until the 3rd, 4th? Decoud was drafted in the 3rd, by the way. Why not aim higher this time around? Oh, yes, we have other priorities. Then what should we do about FS?

I think a lot of you guys are gonna be dissapointed on draft day in regards to FS.

Falcons are gonna get their TE by the 3rd round. I think our starting FS is still on another team

CJ Fierdowicccxxzzz could be a solid pickup in the 3 or 4.

1) MACK

2) S

3)TE/SlotWR/Return guy

Weaknesses

Average speed -- struggles to recover from missteps and will not track anyone down from behind. Some tightness in his hips. Man-coverage limitations (struggles to match with slot receivers). Can be overaggressive and miss tackles. Does not always arrive under control in space. Misjudges angles

nah hoss I need my safeties making the tackle

Dude never had less than 80 tackles in a season...hoss...