Casting An Eye To The Draft - 3-4 Defensive Front 7 Players

g-dawg

Ok, obviously yesterday was a "win" for our fine-feathered friends in flowery branch (say that 5 times quickly). biggrin.png

There should be little doubt now that we are fully implementing the base 3-4 defense. Obviously we will run multiple looks (we do still have Babs/Peters after all) but we are emphasizing the 3-4.

I think still need the following:

• OLB/Passrusher - some of our D-Ends will now be tasked with playing this position (LEO, whatever). (think D. Ware/C. Matthews)
  • ILB - these guys have a little more responsibility in the passing game than a 4-3 MLB and you generally want them to be a little bigger as well (think P. Willis/N. Bowman)
  • NT - we have our starter in Soliai but he is 30 and might only see 2-3 years of that 5 year contract. Also he could get hurt and we don't have an adequate backup. (think P. Soliai/V. Wilfork)
  • 5 Technique DE - we have T. Jackson who is a decent run-stuffer at this position but no pass-rush. we have Babineaux who I really don't think he fits at this position and we have little else - we need a 6'5" 300+ pounder here (think JJ Watt/J. Smith)

While we are off to a good start, we need more of all of the above positions. I don't think we have a pure 3-4OLB on the entire roster right now. While Worrilow is a good 4-3 MLB and will do fine in a 3-4 - I think we need an upgrade there as well. Malliciah Goodman could grow into being a good 5 technique as he has the length but needs to get bigger/stronger.

With an eye on the above - here are players in 2014 NFL draft that we may or may not have been looking at before when we were more 4-3 Leo/Hybrid (whatever) and now that we are in a 3-4, these are players that will fit the 3-4:

OLB/Passrusher:

1. Jadeveon Clowney, S. Carolina - (top 10)
  2. Khalil Mack, Buffalo (top 10)
  3. Anthony Barr, UCLA (mid 1st)
  4. Dee Ford, Auburn (late 1st)
  5. Ryan Shazier, Ohio State (late 1st/early 2nd)
  6. Kyle Van Noy, BYU (mid 2nd/mid 3rd)
  7. Jeremiah Attochu, Georgia Tech (late 2nd/mid 3rd)
  8. Trent Murphy, Stanford (2nd)

130306135045-ryan-shazier-single-image-cut.jpg

Inside Linebacker:

1. C.J. Mosely, Alabama (mid-to-late/1st)
  2. Yawin Smallwood, Connecticut (3rd/4th)
  3. Shayne Skov, Stanford (4th)
  4. Chris Borland, Wisconsin (3rd/4th)
  5. Lamin Barrow, LSU (5th-6th)
  6. Max Bulloch, Michigan State (6th-UDFA)
  7. Andrew Jackson, Western Kentucky (6th-UDFA)
  8. DeDe Lattimore, South Florida (6th-UDFA)

460x.jpg

Nose Tackle:

1. Louis Nix (mid-to-late 1st)
  2. Daquan Jones (3rd)
  3. Justin Ellis (3rd/4th)
  4. DeAndre Coleman (5th-7th)
  5. Ryan Carrethers (6th-7th)
  6. Zach Kerr (6th-7th)

ncf_week11_05.jpg

5 Technique DE:

1. Ra'Shead Hageman, Minnesota (mid-to-late 1st)
  2. Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame (late 1st-early 3rd)
  3. Daniel McCullers, Tennessee (4th/5th)
  4. Josh Mauro, Stanford (5th/6th)
  5. Ed Stinson, Alabama (6th-UDFA)
  6. Jeffery Pagan, Alabama (6th-UDFA)
  7. Taylor Hart, Oregon (6th-UDFA)
  8. Zach Moore, Concordia (6th-UDFA)

520ba2348a7f9.image.jpg

Anybody catching your eye other than the ol' standbys that we would take early? I like the ones in "red"

Did I miss anybody?

I'd like to see Tuitt drafted. And I'm a fan of Kerr. What is a mystery to me is Travian Robertson. This kid coming out of college was one of those players OLinemen in the SEC said was the best they played against. And yet, he has been little more than a ghost. Was he a victim of scheme?

I like Ryan Shazier, Chris Borland, Daquan Jones & Stephon Tuitt.

I'll see your DaQuan Jones and raise you a Trevor Reilly, who could be a very nice mid-round OLB out of Utah. I'm not sold on Shazier, and that's coming from a Buckeye. I saw him get knocked out of games way too often during his career. He usually came back a series later, or at worst, the next week. But that doesn't bode well for NFL level contact.

I'll see your DaQuan Jones and raise you a Trevor Reilly, who could be a very nice mid-round OLB out of Utah. I'm not sold on Shazier, and that's coming from a Buckeye. I saw him get knocked out of games way too often during his career. He usually came back a series later, or at worst, the next week. But that doesn't bode well for NFL level contact.

I'll look at Reilly tape... I am sorry to hear that about the speedy shazier... 4.38. I just keep thinking NOlan could do some amazing stuff with him including a 3 safety set type of thing...

Mccullers is a nose tackle.

at 6'6" - he is somewhat miscast as a NT in my opinion - think he would project better as a 5 technique in NFL with that length - its hard for someone that tall to play the nose - not impossible but harder - and yes, I know that Paul Soliai is 6'4" but he is one of the taller NT in the NFL.

Ok, obviously yesterday was a "win" for our fine-feathered friends in flowery branch (say that 5 times quickly). biggrin.png

There should be little doubt now that we are fully implementing the base 3-4 defense. Obviously we will run multiple looks (we do still have Babs/Peters after all) but we are emphasizing the 3-4.

I think still need the following:

• OLB/Passrusher - some of our D-Ends will now be tasked with playing this position (LEO, whatever). (think D. Ware/C. Matthews)
  • ILB - these guys have a little more responsibility in the passing game than a 4-3 MLB and you generally want them to be a little bigger as well (think P. Willis/N. Bowman)
  • NT - we have our starter in Soliai but he is 30 and might only see 2-3 years of that 5 year contract. Also he could get hurt and we don't have an adequate backup. (think P. Soliai/V. Wilfork)
  • 5 Technique DE - we have T. Jackson who is a decent run-stuffer at this position but no pass-rush. we have Babineaux who I really don't think he fits at this position and we have little else - we need a 6'5" 300+ pounder here (think JJ Watt/J. Smith)

While we are off to a good start, we need more of all of the above positions. I don't think we have a pure 3-4OLB on the entire roster right now. While Worrilow is a good 4-3 MLB and will do fine in a 3-4 - I think we need an upgrade there as well. Malliciah Goodman could grow into being a good 5 technique as he has the length but needs to get bigger/stronger.

With an eye on the above - here are players in 2014 NFL draft that we may or may not have been looking at before when we were more 4-3 Leo/Hybrid (whatever) and now that we are in a 3-4, these are players that will fit the 3-4:

OLB/Passrusher:

1. Jadeveon Clowney, S. Carolina - (top 10)
  2. Khalil Mack, Buffalo (top 10)
  3. Anthony Barr, UCLA (mid 1st)
  4. Dee Ford, Auburn (late 1st)
  5. Ryan Shazier, Ohio State (late 1st/early 2nd)
  6. Kyle Van Noy, BYU (mid 2nd/mid 3rd)
  7. Jeremiah Attochu, Georgia Tech (late 2nd/mid 3rd)
  8. Trent Murphy, Stanford (2nd)

130306135045-ryan-shazier-single-image-cut.jpg

Inside Linebacker:

1. C.J. Mosely, Alabama (mid-to-late/1st)
  2. Yawin Smallwood, Connecticut (3rd/4th)
  3. Shayne Skov, Stanford (4th)
  4. Chris Borland, Wisconsin (3rd/4th)
  5. Lamin Barrow, LSU (5th-6th)
  6. Max Bulloch, Michigan State (6th-UDFA)
  7. Andrew Jackson, Western Kentucky (6th-UDFA)
  8. DeDe Lattimore, South Florida (6th-UDFA)

460x.jpg

Nose Tackle:

1. Louis Nix (mid-to-late 1st)
  2. Daquan Jones (3rd)
  3. Justin Ellis (3rd/4th)
  4. DeAndre Coleman (5th-7th)
  5. Ryan Carrethers (6th-7th)
  6. Zach Kerr (6th-7th)

ncf_week11_05.jpg​

5 Technique DE:

1. Ra'Shead Hageman, Minnesota (mid-to-late 1st)
  2. Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame (late 1st-early 3rd)
  3. Daniel McCullers, Tennessee (4th/5th)
  4. Josh Mauro, Stanford (5th/6th)
  5. Ed Stinson, Alabama (6th-UDFA)
  6. Jeffery Pagan, Alabama (6th-UDFA)
  7. Taylor Hart, Oregon (6th-UDFA)
  8. Zach Moore, Concordia (6th-UDFA)

520ba2348a7f9.image.jpg

Anybody catching your eye other than the ol' standbys that we would take early? I like the ones in "red"

Did I miss anybody?

I don't think Shazier would be a good 3-4 OLB, but I think he would be a phenomenal 4-3 OLB.

After watching Carrethers, he's just big and fat. He doesn't seem to have much else going for him. I don't think he would command double teams in the NFL. He just doesn't seem like he can convert that mass to power.

I like Chris Borland as well. Smart, instinctive player who hits like a truck. If only he were 3 inches taller and .2 seconds faster.