Ian Rappaport Says Falcons

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The key is that none of it is guaranteed. He is basically operating on a year by year contract, which is unheard of in the NFL these days. I fully expect him to be cut in three hours but I understand why teams are calling. If I ran a potential contender, I'd pay a 7th round pick to lock up Revis' rights for 2014 for a $5.6 million cap hit. His reputation matches his his metrics. He really is the best corner in football.

But if you do that you push or more in dead money down the line. That's not healthy.

But if you do that you push or more in dead money down the line. That's not healthy.

The idea would be that with the cap expanding dramatically over the next three years, that is less of a concern. I fully understand why some people would dislike the idea. I do not expect the Falcons to be a serious contender for him. New England makes more sense than everybody else in the NFL combined. Still, I would be happy bordering on ecstatic if we did. Trufant and Alford would learn from the absolute best. And we would have secondary protection in case of injuries. We just signed two guys to eliminate the run. Revis and Trufant would negate the pass. It's a tantalizing prospect.

You need 3 good corners in this league so it makes sense in that regard. But yeah its focused on something that isn't a NEED, though it would upgrade the talent immensely.

That's how I'm looking at this situation. I highly doubt Revis gets the top dollar he is looking for from any team, but I'm sure there are different things that can be done to sweeten the pot for him.

Any GM worth his salt calls to inquire about "star" players, every offseason, every time.

This is how the NFL front offices work.

It's doing, "their due diligence," or "homework," as it were.

We are not getting Darelle Revis.

+1

Of course they're looking into it, they should be fired if they aren't. But we're not going to shell out what another team more desperate for secondary help will.

I remember thinking the same thing last night when I saw "6 playoff teams interested in Ware". I'd imagine all 32 teams are interested in him for the right deal, but the ones with serious interest and ability to make the move is much smaller, just like it is for Revis.

Not saying it's impossible, but his market probably isn't going to be soft enough for us to be serious players here. If I were flushed with cash like the Raiders, then I'd be calling TB right now to deal a 7th to keep him off the market where he probably won't choose a cellar-dweller like them.