Way To Go Out On A Good Note Tony... /s

Tuggle'2

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The question I have is that no one has specifically answered is, Did this cost us a cap hit?

In other words, is our financial situation worse off under the cap because he was cut rather than retiring?

If so, I have to say that is VERY $h1tty on his part.

If not, then ok, he's keeping his options open. It may have been a little cheesy, but it really didn't hurt his current (now former) team any.

Now I know what Tony did, I am scratching my head. He shi t on us to the tune of 1.75mil. Was that out of spite or WTF? We gave gave his non blocking, non spring training ares 7 million last year.

He is looking like a prima donna, I hope he sticks his foot in his mouth on CBS

Tony was great a times for us and by the time he became a Falcon he had lost his speed, rarely blocked and benefited from Matt throwing check downs. Don't get me wrong, when you threw at Tony most of time he would come down with it. Very steady, but he too can be replaced without too much effort.

It is becoming painfully obvious that Tony isn't the class act and leader we all thought he was. I'm convinced he is a cancer and premadonna (reminds me of Tiki Barber with NYG) and he stunted the growth of Ryan.

Like the NYG after TB retired, I'm hoping the Falcons take off and win the SB this year.

It is becoming painfully obvious that Tony isn't the class act and leader we all thought he was. I'm convinced he is a cancer and premadonna (reminds me of Tiki Barber with NYG) and he stunted the growth of Ryan.

Like the NYG after TB retired, I'm hoping the Falcons take off and win the SB this year.

wow--just wow I agree he was a little bit of a glamour puss

It would have been a 1.75 million cap hit either way. That was half his signing bonus from last year, spread out over the two years of the deal. It was done that way to save us cap room last year. The Falcons don't get to throw away that cap hit just because he retires. Releasing Gonzalez didn't hurt the team at all.

Tony didn't want to completely close the door in case a superbowl caliber team came calling late in the season. It also allows him to retire as a Chief if that's what he wants to do.

I always thought Tony was a class act, so the question is Why did he go out like that?

• Sports Illustrated story
  • Hired with The NFL Today on CBS
  • Never files retirement paperwork (after accepting another job)

Now the Falcons brand looks tainted because they had to "release him"? I agree, he totally forced their hand. It would make zero sense to leave him on the roster to collect that bonus! LOL!

Can you say "bitter"?

It would have been a 1.75 million cap hit either way. That was half his signing bonus from last year, spread out over the two years of the deal. It was done that way to save us cap room last year. The Falcons don't get to throw away that cap hit just because he retires. Releasing Gonzalez didn't hurt the team at all.

Tony didn't want to completely close the door in case a superbowl caliber team came calling late in the season. It also allows him to retire as a Chief if that's what he wants to do.

I'm sorry, but can you provide a link stating it didn't cost the Falcons the $1.75 million, because that's what several of the media outlets (680, 790, etc.) are saying?

I'm sorry, but can you provide a link stating it didn't cost the Falcons the $1.75 million, because that's what several of the media outlets (680, 790, etc.) are saying?

I doubt there's any article that explicitly states that it "didn't" cost the Falcons $1.75 million. It should be obvious based on his contract. He had a 2 year contract with a $3.5 million signing bonus. That $3.5 million was evenly spread over the 2 years of the contract. A team doesn't get to write off the signing bonus cap hit if the player retires. If it worked that way, every player over 33 would probably get multi-year deals with all the guaranteed money conveyed through signing bonuses.

Edited by Mekias

I'm sure this has been suggested already, but I'll repeat it for whatever reason. This has nothing to do with the money, this has to do with Tony G wanting to be free to sign with whomever he wants if he decides to come back. If he retires, Falcons retain his rights through this year, if we cut him he's a free agent. Tony agreed to work for CBS, but I think he secretly wants to come back and coattail his way to the playoffs on a championship caliber team. Best to wait to week 10 to see who that is just to be sure.