Schfeter Says "logical Spot For Champ Bailey Is Atl"

matty72780

he'd have to be dirt cheap - like $1mm a year cheap. think he would be nothing more than a asst. coach/player. he's done.

Really don't think he's done. He played hurt last year, more than was reported on. That gets you a "way to tough it out Champ, we need you" during the season, but then also a "you didn't perform up to our standards, so take a pay cut or bye".

Denver also had zero pass rush after losing Dumervil to Faxgate, and then Miller to injury. If we got Clowney and/or signed Michael Johnson and a stud rush DT like Melton or Raji....Champ could do well as a CB or FS for us. Really think he & Tru can start outside with Alford in the slot, and Byrd at FS. Or Champ could play FS, although he has zero experience there.

And yes, he'd be a great player/coach in the DB room, in practice, and on the field in games -- a QB for the secondary getting everyone lined up and ready is a great thing. Before, that guyw as Thomas friggin DeCoud.....

Edited by The Dirty Bird

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really don't think he's done. He played hurt last year, more than was reported on. That gets you a "way to tough it out Champ, we need you" during the season, but then also a "you didn't perform up to our standards, so take a pay cut or bye".

Denver also had zero pass rush after losing Dumervil to Faxgate, and then Miller to injury. If we got Clowney and/or signed Michael Johnson and a stud rush DT like Melton or Raji....Champ could do well as a CB or FS for us. Really think he & Tru can start outside with Alford in the slot, and Byrd at FS. Or Champ could play FS, although he has zero experience there.

And yes, he'd be a great player/coach in the DB room, in practice, and on the field in games -- a QB for the secondary getting everyone lined up and ready is a great thing. Before, that guyw as Thomas friggin DeCoud.....

I agree with the above Champ can't run with the big dawgs anymore but his experience would be invaluable in a secondary like ours.

I no for a fact I'd take Champ Bailey over any safety in this draft.

I agree with the above Champ can't run with the big dawgs anymore but his experience would be invaluable in a secondary like ours.

I no for a fact I'd take Champ Bailey over any safety in this draft.

Champ is still running a 4.4 so he can straight line run with guys. Maybe his cuts have declined a little but at safety he'd be great. At least for a year until we find a long term replacement for Decoud if he comes at a good price.

If we just gave him Franks spot for one year would it be a lateral move ? unsure.png

Sounds nice but still no, I don't want him on team period. And mainly from what I hear, ppl are asking for ATL Falcons to take him for the wrong reason. Let's try and get Byrd who has experience in the position and see what we can make out of Motta or Ishamel. But taking a guy on the tail end of his career and bringing on him b/c he played @ UGA doesn't suit me well. And if he gets on the field IMO he'll be like a rookie, what experience does he have @ the FS position?

Sounds nice but still no, I don't want him on team period. And mainly from what I hear, ppl are asking for ATL Falcons to take him for the wrong reason. Let's try and get Byrd who has experience in the position and see what we can make out of Motta or Ishamel. But taking a guy on the tail end of his career and bringing on him b/c he played @ UGA doesn't suit me well. And if he gets on the field IMO he'll be like a rookie, what experience does he have @ the FS position?

So signing a safety for 10 mill a year makes more sense ? unsure.png

Plenty of old corners moved to safety late in their careers and had success. Rod Woodson, Charles Woodson just to mention a few. Champ fits in the same mold as those guys. Many years in the league has taught them to play the safety position. And playing FS would be perfect because he can roam and make plays on the ball. He's already seen every formation in the NFL. He has vast knowledge of what's coming that can even help Moore and of course the young corners. I think he'd be a good stop gap until we find the FS of the future. Byrd wants to be the highest paid safety and tho I wouldn't mind having him it just doesn't make sense in dollars. Rod Woodson helped Baltimore win a SB. Made a lot of plays from the safety position.

Edited by TheFatboi

Plenty of old corners moved to safety late in their careers and had success. Rod Woodson, Charles Woodson just to mention a few. Champ fits in the same mold as those guys. Many years in the league has taught them to play the safety position. And playing FS would be perfect because he can roam and make plays on the ball. He's already seen every formation in the NFL. He has vast knowledge of what's coming that can even help Moore and of course the young corners. I think he'd be a good stop gap until we find the FS of the future. Byrd wants to be the highest paid safety and tho I wouldn't mind having him it just doesn't make sense in dollars. Rod Woodson helped Baltimore win a SB. Made a lot of plays from the safety position.

Would not mind trying him at FS, but other than that it would be a comfort just to have him on the bench if Tru or Alf went down. No guarantee McClain gets resigned, Champ could be the nickel or dime. For just one year would make sense. I mean look at what Asante gave us in 2012, I think we could squeeze one more decent year out of Champ as well. And folks here do not take into account that injury affected his play last year.

I would prefer he come on as a coach honestly and go all in for Jairus Byrd at FS. we go against B Marshall, AJ Green & Calvin Johnson this year

Champ still runs a 4.4. He still has straight line speed to keep up with those guys, which is great for a safety. He may have lost in his hips which is bad for a corner. Byrd would be nice but at his price we need to get the trenches right first and anything on the back end would look good. Including champ at fs. Byrd without a good dline will look like a better tackling Decoud. He's partially a beast because buffalo was a top 5 sack team. We're a bottom 5 sack team.

Would not mind trying him at FS, but other than that it would be a comfort just to have him on the bench if Tru or Alf went down. No guarantee McClain gets resigned, Champ could be the nickel or dime. For just one year would make sense. I mean look at what Asante gave us in 2012, I think we could squeeze one more decent year out of Champ as well. And folks here do not take into account that injury affected his play last year.

And this. He brings options with him as well. Somebody goes down he's still good enough to play corner. If he's a good price I say get him.

Champ still runs a 4.4. He still has straight line speed to keep up with those guys, which is great for a safety. He may have lost in his hips which is bad for a corner. Byrd would be nice but at his price we need to get the trenches right first and anything on the back end would look good. Including champ at fs. Byrd without a good dline will look like a better tackling Decoud. He's partially a beast because buffalo was a top 5 sack team. We're a bottom 5 sack team.

Why do people continually say this? Detroit has an amazing front 4. Does their secondary look good because of it? No, it's freakin awful.

Why do people continually say this? Detroit has an amazing front 4. Does their secondary look good because of it? No, it's freakin awful.

Simple. Detroit doesn't have a good secondary. I never thought they had a good secondary. They don't have the corners we have now and the only decent safety they had was Delmus. Plus when u throw as many pics as stafford forcing the ball to CJ you tire out your defense which leads to giving up plays. Byrd is good but he's also had the luxury of a dline that gets after the qb and forces quick throws and mistakes. THAT'S the difference a dline makes for a secondary. Detroits dline is ok to me. Nothing like buffalo's because they lost pressure from the outside without Avril and vanderbosh. Look at how good the safety from SF was with that dline and he just looked ok with Tampa. Bring constant pressure and and your backend plays better. H3ll Decoud and Moore played lights out when we brought constant pressure with Abe and Bierrman in '12 even without a ton if sacks.

Simple. Detroit doesn't have a good secondary. I never thought they had a good secondary. They don't have the corners we have now and the only decent safety they had was Delmus. Plus when u throw as many pics as stafford forcing the ball to CJ you tire out your defense which leads to giving up plays. Byrd is good but he's also had the luxury of a dline that gets after the qb and forces quick throws and mistakes. THAT'S the difference a dline makes for a secondary. Detroits dline is ok to me. Nothing like buffalo's because they lost pressure from the outside without Avril and vanderbosh. Look at how good the safety from SF was with that dline and he just looked ok with Tampa. Bring constant pressure and and your backend plays better. H3ll Decoud and Moore played lights out when we brought constant pressure with Abe and Bierrman in '12 even without a ton if sacks.

And when they had Avril and Vanderbosh? Still trash. Still bottom of the league in pass defense. What about the Jets? Amazing front line. Top of the league in run defense. Had 40 sacks. Still bottom of the league pass defense because their secondary is terrible. A good front 4 doesn't automatically transform your secondary into good players.

Also, who did Byrd play with in 2009 when he had 9 INTs? They had 32 sacks that year, the same as the Falcons had last year.

And when they had Avril and Vanderbosh? Still trash. Still bottom of the league in pass defense. What about the Jets? Amazing front line. Top of the league in run defense. Had 40 sacks. Still bottom of the league pass defense because their secondary is terrible. A good front 4 doesn't automatically transform your secondary into good players.

Also, who did Byrd play with in 2009 when he had 9 INTs? They had 32 sacks that year, the same as the Falcons had last year.

It's about pressure. I never mentioned sacks only to say we didn't have a ton but we were a top 5 pressure team. As for the jets they were without revis. The rookie Milner got beat to sleep and between Geno and Sanchez they kept the defense in bad situations with turnovers. Again tiring them out and eventually giving up plays. It also depend on if you play with a lead or from behind. We gave up a lot of pass yards in '12 because we played with a lead most of the time and teams had to play catchup. Every team also has an Achilles heel. Either you're good at stopping the run(jets) or stopping the pass(Sea) and you play off your strength and force teams to go against there's.

They're trash with vanderbosh and avril again because stafford doesn't protect the ball. He puts his D in a lot of bad situations. And the guy from auburn was hurt too. Be that as it may Houston shoulda been in the pro bowl that year as a result of the pressure Avril, Suh and Vanderbosh brought.

Edited by TheFatboi

They're trash with vanderbosh and avril again because stafford doesn't protect the ball. He puts his D in a lot of bad situations. And the guy from auburn was hurt too.

Or maybe they're trash because the players in the secondary are bad? Sure, a GREAT DL like the line the 07 Giants had, could make a secondary better than it is, but an above average line isn't going to make a secondary look better than it is. We are FAR FAR away from having a line even resembling the 07 Giants line. We HAVE to have good players in the secondary.

Or maybe they're trash because the players in the secondary are bad? Sure, a GREAT DL like the line the 07 Giants had, could make a secondary better than it is, but an above average line isn't going to make a secondary look better than it is. We are FAR FAR away from having a line even resembling the 07 Giants line. We HAVE to have good players in the secondary.

Go back to were I said the lions secondary sucked. But even they made houston look like a pro bowler with good pressure. He shoulda been in the pro bowl that year. We had a good secondary with Asante, Dunta, Moore and Decoud but they were better than what they were because we brought constant pressure. Not a lot of sacks but mucho pressure. Last season. Lack of pressure less picks and terrible on 3rd down. Last if I'm not mistaken. I never said you don't need talent on the backend. What I said was without a dline that can bring pressure Byrd will look like a better tackling Decoud. Meaning balls will be completed because we're not forcing the qb to make errant throws but Bryd will make the tackle. He won't have a bunch of pics. Especially if good qb's can stand in the pocket and pick his targets. No corner or safety is that good and I implore you to find a team that sucked up front but the secondary was still good or great. All the greats were good up front. SF, Pitt, Dallas, Oak, KC, GB, Minny. Every SB winning team was good or great up front. Not saying they didn't have great secondaries but the dline def made them better.

Most ppl around here want 100 sacks. I'm more of the bring constant pressure and you'll get more turnovers. You can have a ton of sacks and still lose the game but pressure busts pipes. Derrick Thomas had 6 sacks in a game and still lost. I want us to be a 40-50 sack team that brings loads of pressure. Our whole secondary will be in the pro bowl with a season like that cause I guarantee they'll have picks galore. Even Decouds sorry @ss. We have the talent in the secondary now we need a dline to give them help. Even the Seahawks secondary would look like trash with our dline because they're really not a fast secondary but physical. If they couldn't get to the qb wr's will eventually get open. We're the reason they went dline heavy in FA because they couldn't get to Matt and they lost in the playoffs. Roddy burnt Sherman twice but Matt was late on one throw.