Chuck Smith 680 The Fan Interview

atljbo

http://www.680thefan..._row_audio.php#

7 things i took away from the interview

1. He thinks Jake Matthews is special and is probably the best player in this draft ... He said he watched film of Jake shut down some of the nations top pass rusher... He thinks Jake will be a probowler early in his career and one of those 10-15 year high level LTs

2. he thinks protecting what he believes (our) is a franchise is the key (MattRyan) ... If we want to come back up quickly

3. Aaron Donald can be a destroyer in the NFL in the right scheme.

4. He would beyound happy if we got a chance to Stephen Tuit in the 2nd round of the draft .. He thinks he can be special... Can rush and stop the run (a guy he is training)

5. He thinks developmental is key in the NFL.

6. He feels Osi and Kroy or 4-3 ends....Osi is a good pass rusher... He shouldnt be dropping back in coverage.

7 He believes its no one in this draft worthy enough to trade up... This is a deep draft at OLine and D-Line

Sidenote: I love how Chuck ride or die with the falcons man

I heard it yesterday. No. 7 stood out to me. Don't trade up, no one is worth it.

I heard Mayock yesterday leaving from work.... He said the falcons need to pray 3 QBs go in the first 5 so we can have our pick at PAss rusher or Tackle (he thinks we need to go passrusher in the first round then tackle in the 2nd round) ..... But he said regardless of the way the draft fall.... We will have a good player at a poistion of need at 6

I heard it yesterday. No. 7 stood out to me. Don't trade up, no one is worth it.

I agree. It honestly does not appear that anyone is SOOOOOO much better than anyone else that they would be worth giving away a bunch of pick... especially in a draft that seems deep in plenty of areas of need.

http://www.680thefan..._row_audio.php#

7 things i took away from the interview

1. He thinks Jake Matthews is special and is probably the best player in this draft ... He said he watched film of Jake shut down some of the nations top pass rusher... He thinks Jake will be a probowler early in his career and one of those 10-15 year high level LTs

2. he thinks protecting what he believes (our) is a franchise is the key (MattRyan) ... If we want to come back up quickly

3. Aaron Donald can be a destroyer in the NFL in the right scheme.

4. He would beyound happy if we got a chance to Stephen Tuit in the 2nd round of the draft .. He thinks he can be special... Can rush and stop the run (a guy he is training)

5. He thinks developmental is key in the NFL.

6. He feels Osi and Kroy or 4-3 ends....Osi is a good pass rusher... He shouldnt be dropping back in coverage.

7 He believes its no one in this draft worthy enough to trade up... This is a deep draft at OLine and D-Line

Sidenote: I love how Chuck ride or die with the falcons man

It doesn't matter how deep the draft is when our GM keeps drafting bums and getting out-drafted by other GMs. Just sayin.

It doesn't matter how deep the draft is when our GM keeps drafting bums and getting out-drafted by other GMs. Just sayin.

Name the last bum he's drafted in the first. Jerry was drafted for a position of need at the time and has since washed out. H

Name the last bum he's drafted in the first. Jerry was drafted for a position of need at the time and has since washed out. H

Yup and jerry btw was the number 2 rated DT that year behind Raji. It was actually a value move at a position of need at #24 (I think that's right)...and Jerry fit BVG's scheme well. He just got hurt

I agree. Especially about Matthews. See lots of people on here clamoring over Robinson but I want Matthews over Robinson.

I don't know why some people would be so upset if we picked up Matthews. He's a solid pick. Mack and Robinson are the only other solid picks at 6 that are realistic. And there's a good chance that at least one of them is gone by then too.

That wasn't foolish either there was a run on Ts and we had no one to protect matt. Yeah he could gabe taken Duane Brown, but he was a zbs guy and we had Mularkey as OC

The report of Baker coming out of college was pretty alarming. Short arms, not the most physical guy in the world. To me it just didn't warrant a trade up. Rather take your chance to develop another guy or wait until a vet LT got released in preseason.

I don't know why some people would be so upset if we picked up Matthews. He's a solid pick. Mack and Robinson are the only other solid picks at 6 that are realistic. And there's a good chance that at least one of them is gone by then too.

Agree. Robinson is unquestionably the greater physical specimen and possibly greater upside. In fact, given the choice I'd probably take Robinson. However, the Falcons desperately need someone to come in and protect Ryan's blind side and I would trust Matthews over Robinson--right now, until Robinson further develops at pass protection--in 2014. Even what some called the best LT prospect in a generation in Jake Long had to learn NFL pass protection...remember Abe running over him?

The report of Baker coming out of college was pretty alarming. Short arms, not the most physical guy in the world. To me it just didn't warrant a trade up. Rather take your chance to develop another guy or wait until a vet LT got released in preseason.

In 08 he was still graded put as a first round talent. And where he was picked and why he was picked was a good draft trade

Don't forget the injury history/concerns TD & Co. turned a blind eye too. unsure.png