Marvel Cinematic Universe

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Director James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. I'm thinking Disney may be parting ways with him entirely.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/20/entertainment/james-gunn-exits-guardians-of-the-galaxy-3/index.html

That’s disappointing. He has been firing off on Twitter a lot about Trump lately and some folks went digging in his twitter feed. I was reading some of this as it was happening. I’m no fan of Trump but I always cringe a little when I see these celebrity types go off like that with politics.

Not that I disagree with people making their opinions known and discussing events and ideas... but when you have a huge pop culture following and put yourself out there like that... well, your past can come back and bite you in the ***.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Carter said:

Bought Infinity War. :slick:

I hope Venom is good. I was disappointed to learn that it isn’t part of MCU at all even with the Spiderman deal. Sony is apparently making movies for characters in the Spiderman branch... without Spidey being a part of it.

As long as we get a Carnage movie. They finally made Venom the proper size in this one, so we need an insane Carnage 

2 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

New venom trailer. They still need to clean up the CGI but the new scenes make it look much better than the first two previews did. Still kind of wish they went with more of a horror angle, though.

I don't care about the story, he looks freakin' awesome. I remember in the 90s when Marvel had the coolest villains

That said, I hated Tom Hardy's bane. Was ******* stupid.

Edited by ♘Sn4tteRBoxXeR♘
51 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

As long as we get a Carnage movie. They finally made Venom the proper size in this one, so we need an insane Carnage 

But playing on my remark about missing the chance to make "Venom" a horror movie, if they can't make a Carnage movie with a hard R rating, that's as bad as those early X-Men movies where Wolverine didn't cut anyone with his claws. You can't convince me that a Carnage/Venom movie would not sell tickets if made the right way for a mature audience.

31 minutes ago, ♘Sn4tteRBoxXeR♘ said:

I don't care about the story, he looks freakin' awesome. I remember in the 90s when Marvel had the coolest villains

That said, I hated Tom Hardy's bane. Was ******* stupid.

I liked his Bane until he went out like those clown-masked henchmen at the beginning of "The Dark Knight Rises". The movie went from being a 9.5 with 20 minutes remaining to being a 7 by the end. It's like Nolan wanted another 45 minutes but knew it already ran too long so he just wrapped it up.

33 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

But playing on my remark about missing the chance to make "Venom" a horror movie, if they can't make a Carnage movie with a hard R rating, that's as bad as those early X-Men movies where Wolverine didn't cut anyone with his claws. You can't convince me that a Carnage/Venom movie would not sell tickets if made the right way for a mature audience.

Just like Deadpool! Both movies are great and R rated!

35 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

I liked his Bane until he went out like those clown-masked henchmen at the beginning of "The Dark Knight Rises". The movie went from being a 9.5 with 20 minutes remaining to being a 7 by the end. It's like Nolan wanted another 45 minutes but knew it already ran too long so he just wrapped it up.

I guess I'm just used to Bane being a literal beast, not a criminal on PEDs

Sony’s next Marvel movie after Venom is Silver & Black, based on the characters Silver Sable and Black Cat. I think there is some crossover with that one, with Michael Mando’s character in Spiderman Homecoming getting his weaponized robotic tail from the villain of that movie to become Scorpion. Not sure how that works out obviously but Scorpion is expected to be a villain in one of the upcoming movies.

I guess Spiderman could be in the Sony flicks at some point, but there appears to be no plans for Venom to crossover. MCU phase 4 kicks off with the next Spiderman movie, which comes out like 2 months after Avengers 4. Captain Marvel, Avengers 4, then Spiderman: Far From Home all come out from March to May and then July 2019... so it’s going to be pretty heavy hitting for MCU within like a 4-5 month period of time.

Guardians of the Galaxy volume 3 might be delayed due to James Gunn being fired. That’s a whole other discussion though.

I definitely co-sign wanting an R-rated Venom and Carnage movie. That could be really fun to see if they do it right.

4 hours ago, Carter said:

Sony’s next Marvel movie after Venom is Silver & Black, based on the characters Silver Sable and Black Cat. I think there is some crossover with that one, with Michael Mando’s character in Spiderman Homecoming getting his weaponized robotic tail from the villain of that movie to become Scorpion. Not sure how that works out obviously but Scorpion is expected to be a villain in one of the upcoming movies.

I guess Spiderman could be in the Sony flicks at some point, but there appears to be no plans for Venom to crossover. MCU phase 4 kicks off with the next Spiderman movie, which comes out like 2 months after Avengers 4. Captain Marvel, Avengers 4, then Spiderman: Far From Home all come out from March to May and then July 2019... so it’s going to be pretty heavy hitting for MCU within like a 4-5 month period of time.

Guardians of the Galaxy volume 3 might be delayed due to James Gunn being fired. That’s a whole other discussion though.

I definitely co-sign wanting an R-rated Venom and Carnage movie. That could be really fun to see if they do it right.

If I recall correctly, Disney was going to reboot Spidey for two or three films and then Sony would take the franchise back. "Far From Home" might be the last time we see him in the MCEU.

1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

If I recall correctly, Disney was going to reboot Spidey for two or three films and then Sony would take the franchise back. "Far From Home" might be the last time we see him in the MCEU.

I highly doubt that Spiderman only gets 2 solo films in the MCU. Can't see the the future of the MCU not revolving around him. Especially if both Ironman and Cap(Steve Rogers) are done soon.

2 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

1 hour ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

I highly doubt that Spiderman only gets 2 solo films in the MCU. Can't see the the future of the MCU not revolving around him. Especially if both Ironman and Cap(Steve Rogers) are done soon.

Well I just read up on it. It’s a complicated kind of deal but the Sony/Disney/Marvel Studios Spiderman deal for MCU was for 5 movies. Civil War, Homecoming, Infinity War, Avengers 4 and Far From Home are those 5 movies. Sony actually takes the box office for the Spiderman titled movies as they technically are paying the costs for Marvel Studios to make those particular films.

Anything after Far From Home will have to be negotiated with a new deal for Spidey to be in the MCU beyond that... but it gets interesting (and complicated) when you look at the fact that Sony is working on pushing out films separate from Marvel Studios for characters that exist specifically in the Spiderman lore. 

Scorpion is supposed to be in Silver & Black, as the genesis of where Michael Mando’s character in Homecoming actually becomes Scorpion. Donald Glover’s character in Homecoming is the uncle of a character who eventually becomes another Spiderman. He makes mention of his nephew in the movie, so it seems to be something lined up for the future. Sony seems to have a lot lined up for Spiderman which Marvel Studios has done a lot to help them set up.

It’s weird, but Sony owns the rights to Spiderman so it’s pretty much up to them. Hopefully they keep that partnership with Marvel Studios because I just don’t have any faith in Sony to run with the awesome reboot Marvel Studios pulled off... seems like a very mutually beneficial arrangement to me. But they very well could say thanks we’ll take it from here with Spidey and shoehorn Tom Holland’s Peter Parker into whatever they wanna do.

Far From Home officially is the start of MCU Phase 4 though, which is going to be a major change from everything MCU has been up to this point. Captain Marvel is expected to be one of the new franchise centerpieces moving forward. Kinda driving myself crazy with excitement and anticipation... :sadwave:

On 7/10/2018 at 0:26 AM, Carter said:

Yeah, even if it isn’t the longest wait between films (I don’t know if it is) the storyline has come to a point where everything changes now. Infinity War was the major point all the other films were leading up to and the cliffhanger we were left with is just insane. Now they will be introducing a new character to MCU that is more powerful than any MCU superhero they have introduced yet. 

I’m getting the impression Captain Marvel will be the MCU equivalent of Superman. It’s unclear if she is outright as powerful as Thanos in MCU or if she is comparable to Thor. Since they only use the comics as a springboard, it’s certainly possible. Especially if there are no clear plans to have Silver Surfer or Warlock be involved in defeating Thanos. It’s hard to imagine one character being a match for Thanos with the full gauntlet... but I guess we’ll see.

It’s a tall task to follow up Infinity War in a way that doesn’t undermine the gravity of that ending.

Her powers (in the comics) stem from the original Mar-vell and are Kree-based, which usually give Thanos ****, but we'll see how they'll play it.

Oh, this might be interesting. I'm a little peeved that Cloak & Dagger is already over for the season but maybe something better is on the way.

ABC & Marvel Discussing New TV Series
 BY COOPER HOOD – ON AUG 07, 2018 IN TV NEWS
ABC is discussing plans to expand their Marvel partnership by adding another TV series. When Marvel wanted to bring the Marvel Cinematic Universe to the small screen, ABC was the first place they went. The Disney-owned network picked up Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., began airing the series in 2013, and it's sixth season will debut next year. They also gave Hayley Atwell's Peggy Carter a series of her own, but that ended after two seasons, and Inhumans was canned after just one.

They have continued to develop other properties over the years, but nothing has gained momentum. The lack of real development was made clear by ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey earlier this year, when she said no new Marvel shows will move forward this year. While nothing has definitively changed, the two companies are discussing another series.

Related: Clark Gregg To Direct Agents of SHIELD Season 6 Premiere

Dungey confirmed ABC's intent to make additional Marvel content while speaking to Deadline during the Television Critics Association summer session. She couldn't say what exactly may be on the horizon, only that she's "excited" for what could come.

In terms of Marvel, we have some things that we are in discussions with them right now that we are in development.

There's a number of possible outcomes for this potential new Marvel ABC series. First of all, one of Marvel's already in development projects may finally be in a position to move forward. They've previously discussed an interest in doing a comedic show, so that concept could've been ironed out at this point - or even finally signal Damage Control getting made. There's also been talks of a Jessica Jones-esque series at ABC. Both of those hopeful projects have been circulating for roughly a year, so either may be in a position to move forward.

This could also be an opportunity for ABC to do something with several other shows that have been stuck in development. John Ridley has been attached to a Marvel TV series at ABC for a few years and there's never been any word on what it would be. They could even do Marvel a potential favor by picking up New Warriors, which has been without a home since leaving Freeform - despite all the buzz saying the pilot is exceptional. The cast previously campaigned to take Roseanne's spot following its cancellation, so maybe it worked.

However, the greater chance is that what Marvel and ABC are discussing is a brand new and unknown series. Marvel's catalogue of characters is vast and ABC may have finally found one or a group that meets their interests. With Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. repeatedly on the bubble, its only a matter of time before another Marvel series becomes the priority for them, especially one that can occupy a primetime fall to spring slot. If these talks progress well enough, hopefully fans will know more about this new potential Marvel series in the near future.

I still have not seen a single episode of Agents of SHIELD.

If they want to take Jessica Jones that’s fine with me. It’s easily the weakest of the Netflix series. Season 1 was decent. Season 2 was garbage. She could not have been more forced into the plot of The Defenders. 

9 hours ago, Carter said:

I still have not seen a single episode of Agents of SHIELD.

If they want to take Jessica Jones that’s fine with me. It’s easily the weakest of the Netflix series. Season 1 was decent. Season 2 was garbage. She could not have been more forced into the plot of The Defenders. 

"Iron Fist" was the absolute worst for me. What's the point of being Iron Fist if you aren't going to punch something? It was like watching a Wolverine movie where he popped out a claw from time to time to slice bread. Can't wait for the new season of Daredevil.

Wow. Sony's making a movie about Kraven the Hunter. How do I know they're going to mess this up? Kraven as a villain would be a heckuva movie but they're either going to make him a hero or anti-hero, watch. Just like Venom would be more interesting to me if it was a horror film. Marvel has some great villains who don't need to be portrayed out of type in order to make really good movies.

https://screenrant.com/kraven-hunter-movie-update-writer/

https://screenrant.com/kraven-movie-hunt-no-spider-man/

3 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

"Iron Fist" was the absolute worst for me. What's the point of being Iron Fist if you aren't going to punch something? It was like watching a Wolverine movie where he popped out a claw from time to time to slice bread. Can't wait for the new season of Daredevil.

I’ve seen a lot of people say they didn’t like it. I dunno maybe I’m in the minority, but I really enjoyed Iron Fist. Daredevil and The Punisher are definitely leaps and bounds better though.