Marvel Cinematic Universe

I'm starving for something outside of Marvel Studios to be good. I'm souring real fast on their non-Netflix stuff. They're not making comic book movies anymore, they're making Disney movies with comic book characters in them and it's getting less and less interesting. The problem is is that I also hate all of the X-Men and Fantastic Four FOX properties too.

If everything could be the quality of The Winter Soldier and Daredevil I'd be a lot happier with the Marvel/Disney properties.

What was marvel thinking when they sold to Disney.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

saw Black panther yesterday. Outside of the winter soldier, kilmonger is the second villain marvel has perfected imo. Michael b Jordan played a **** good villain here

Posted Images

I love the Marvel studio stuff. The scope of the universe they are building is hands down one of the best cinematic draws we have right now (at least till they release Star Wars) and at a scope unprecedented I could only dream of as a kid.

meanwhile the Fox and Sony stuff are just okay at thier best of times, I often wish Disney had the rights to ALL of it, if nothing else so I can watch Wolverine w/ the Avengers.

Glad Disney doesn't have this one though. They're is just no way they could have made anything like this at least not without severly watering it down.

I love the Marvel studio stuff. The scope of the universe they are building is hands down one of the best cinematic draws we have right now (at least till they release Star Wars) and at a scope unprecedented I could only dream of as a kid.

meanwhile the Fox and Sony stuff are just okay at thier best of times, I often wish Disney had the rights to ALL of it, if nothing else so I can watch Wolverine w/ the Avengers.

Glad Disney doesn't have this one though. They're is just no way they could have made anything like this at least not without severly watering it down.

They have their ways. If they owned it, they could make it as gritty as they want and distribute it under Miramax. No one ever makes the association. Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill are both Disney movies.laugh.png

I love the universe they've created, I am just less impressed with their execution within it with each passing movie. I feel like I enjoy talking about the possibilities of this universe more so than I enjoy watching it. I'm excited for Phase 3 to start though, especially since Whedon is gone and the Russo brothers are running point on this thing now. Plus we're getting the introduction of some new characters that I'm pumped to see.

I'd like to see Marvel at least attempt to take some of their stuff a tad more seriously. I don't need every single hero in the MCU to be a witty quipster who always has the right funny thing to say. I'm fine with humor and I don't need blood or F-bombs, I just need something of a little more substance. That and for Marvel to stop treating their villains like such jokey pieces of ****.

Edited by The Shotfather

Read this morning that FOX is in negotiations with Marvel to obtain the live-action television rights to the X-Men because they want to create their own TV universe as well. Some people have been speculating that Marvel would be willing to allow FOX to have the rights in exchange for The Fantastic Four, which is just getting completely (and predictably) **** on in early reviews.

I'd do that **** in a heartbeat. Marvel not having rights to the characters that started it all for them is almost criminal.

Read this morning that FOX is in negotiations with Marvel to obtain the live-action television rights to the X-Men because they want to create their own TV universe as well. Some people have been speculating that Marvel would be willing to allow FOX to have the rights in exchange for The Fantastic Four, which is just getting completely (and predictably) **** on in early reviews.

I'd do that **** in a heartbeat. Marvel not having rights to the characters that started it all for them is almost criminal.

I figured the new F4 movie would suck, they changed the origins, that pisses fans off and not to mention F4 just makes a horrible movie to begin with.

Fantastic Four could be amazing, but it's obvious that FOX just does not understand the characters and has no idea what to ******* do with them. 3 times they've tried and 3 times they've failed miserably. FF would slide in perfectly to the MCU, not to mention the fact that Marvel would not just be getting the Fantastic Four, they'd also be getting Dr. Doom (Easily Marvel's best villain), Silver Surfer, Galactus, and the shape-shifting alien race known as the Skrull, who notoriously are at constant war with the Kree (the blue aliens seen in AOS and GOTG).

Fantastic Four could be amazing, but it's obvious that FOX just does not understand the characters and has no idea what to ******* do with them. 3 times they've tried and 3 times they've failed miserably. FF would slide in perfectly to the MCU, not to mention the fact that Marvel would not just be getting the Fantastic Four, they'd also be getting Dr. Doom (Easily Marvel's best villain), Silver Surfer, Galactus, and the shape-shifting alien race known as the Skrull, who notoriously are at constant war with the Kree (the blue aliens seen in AOS and GOTG).

Yep, completely forgot about the supporting cast of characters. **** man, Silver surfer could stand on his own in my opinion.

Here's a review of F4 by Rolling Stone:

By Peter Travers August 6, 2015

How bad is this reboot of Marvel's first superheroes? Worse than you can imagine

The latest reboot of the Fantastic Four — the cinematic equivalent of malware — is worse than worthless. It not only scrapes the bottom of the Marvel-movie barrel; it knocks out the floor and sucks audiences into a black hole of soul-crushing, coma-inducing dullness. And, guess what, it's an origin story. That's right.

A gifted young cast (Miles Teller, Kate Mara, Jamie Bell, Michael B. Jordan) has been hired to freshen the plot, like an old whore trying to pass as jailbait. No go.

Director Josh Trank (Chronicle), who wrote the soggy script with Simon Kinberg and Jeremy Slater, takes forever to get things going. Reed Richards (Teller, acting NAÏVE in capital letters) is a science prodigy recruited by Dr. Franklin Storm (Reg E. Cathey) to join his rogue think tank. Storm's adopted daughter Sue (Mara) is a willing participant. His car-crazy son, Johnny (Jordan), not so much.

Mara and Jordan are given nothing to act so you can only watch as they lose the will to try. Toby Kebbell as Victor Von Doom, Dr. Storm's embittered pupil, overcompensates by overdoing everything. But he's the bad guy. You can tell because he keeps giving **** to Reed's BFF, Ben Grimm (Bell).

Everyone pretends to be excited by Reed's invention, a teleporter which can transport a monkey into an alternate dimension. Since this movie has no dimension at all, everyone is envious of the monkey.

So, of course, they jump into the teleporter and gets transformed into — spoiler alert! — the Fantastic Four. Except nothing about this misbegotten, cynical attempt at franchise-rebuilding is fantastic.

That includes the crude, cheap-looking, unspecial effects that turn Reed into the stretchy Mr. Fantastic, Johnny into the Human Torch, Sue into the Invisible Woman and Ben into a pile of rocks called The Thing. Fantastic Four is a pile of something, too. You fill in the blank.

I found that critique funny as ****! laugh.png Seems like something The Shotfather would write!

PS: I am still probably going to see it!

That is certainly a review after my own heart. ******* brutal. I also heard that "It's clobberin' time" is a phrase uttered by Ben Grimm's abusive older brother before he slaps him in the face. Then during a conversation, Victor says something to the effect of "the whole world will end one day" to which Sue Storm responds, "Listen to Dr. Doom over there."

Ohhhh ******* kill me now. I can't wait to illegally hate watch this movie.

Also, Doom himself looks like 12 scoops of mint chocolate chip ice cream coated in chrome spray paint. Yeah, there's no way FOX tries to do this again. They'll give it back to Marvel.

Edited by The Shotfather

That is certainly a review after my own heart. ******* brutal. I also heard that "It's clobberin' time" is a phrase uttered by Ben Grimm's abusive older brother before he slaps him in the face. Then during a conversation, Victor says something to the effect of "the whole world will end one day" to which Sue Storm responds, "Listen to Dr. Doom over there."

Ohhhh ******* kill me now. I can't wait to illegally hate watch this movie.

Also, Doom himself looks like 12 scoops of mint chocolate chip ice cream coated in chrome spray paint. Yeah, there's no way FOX tries to do this again. They'll give it back to Marvel.

Just saw where the director blamed the studio, claimed his version from a year ago would have gotten good reviews, but it will never be seen. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/fantastic-four-director-josh-trank-813786?utm_source=facebook

I cannot understand why FF got rebooted. I guess for the same reason spider man keeps getting rebooted.

Well especially since Trank obviously didn't want to make a ******* Fantastic Four movie, he wanted to make a sci-fi thriller and the studio used the FF name as brand recognition so they could slap a Marvel logo on it and have people show up based purely on that.

I will never understand why people take a book or comic with source material that's loved by millions of people, and then waste time thinking up different ways to **** all over it. YOU ARE NOT A BETTER WRITER. I wish I could scream that in the face of every single jerkoff who feels the need to write an adaptation of something. Just do the ******* story that people love. We've read it, and now we want to see it brought to life, the hardest part of the job is already done for you, now you just need to cast people and put them in front of the camera.

I say again though this is why I prefer Disney. At thier absolute worst you get Thor 2 or Captain America 1 which is still better than just about everything else the other studios make.

The interesting thing about that is that this universe is so good that we would not be able to agree on what the biggest bombs were...I liked CA1 a lot. It was in the upper half for me. I agree on Thor 2 being near the bottom. The stand alone Hulk was probably at the bottom for me and it was still ok.