Marvel Cinematic Universe

Just now, Carter said:

I’ve seen a lot of people say they didn’t like it. I dunno maybe I’m in the minority, but I really enjoyed Iron Fist. Daredevil and The Punisher are definitely leaps and bounds better though. 

They handled the Danny Rand character wrong. He's a bad *** and confident but the character on TV seemed unsure of himself and kind of unlikable. I'll be honest: When they announced the Defenders, Iron Fist was the character I most wanted to see (and I've been a huge Daredevil fan since the early '70s and a Luke Cage fan since the mid-'70s. Now that I think about it, I was buying Iron Fist books in junior high (around 1975-77). 

I liked him more in "The Defenders" even though he was reckless and I liked him a lot more in "Luke Cage" season 2. Hopefully the showrunners keep him right about there for season 2.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I was reading that the reason it is pg-13 is because sony may be looking to do a MCU cross over.

Making a movie with an eye on potential receipts is seldom going to make the people who appreciate the property happy. Make the best movie you can. "Deadpool" was a hit because it hit the notes that the comic hit. For the most part, MCEU movies stay within the tone of the books and some are more mature than others. Disney getting its hands on a property like "Venom" is going to kill it as a franchise.

I know I keep bringing up the same point, but an R-rated Spidey vs Venom movie with horror elements would be the best comic book movie ever.

3 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

Making a movie with an eye on potential receipts is seldom going to make the people who appreciate the property happy. Make the best movie you can. "Deadpool" was a hit because it hit the notes that the comic hit. For the most part, MCEU movies stay within the tone of the books and some are more mature than others. Disney getting its hands on a property like "Venom" is going to kill it as a franchise.

I know I keep bringing up the same point, but an R-rated Spidey vs Venom movie with horror elements would be the best comic book movie ever.

omg I have heard people arguing against Rated R movies because "it cuts off a huge part of the audience" (they were specifically speaking about star wars), and I am like, they can make more than one movie... I loathe helicopter parenting or religious fundamentalists that keep kids away from PG-13/bad words/"Magic" etc. They ruin things for the rest of us.

10 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

Oh I agree....just pointing out that may be why the potential for  the rating.

it is silly to me because Feige has indicated that there is room for a R rated movie in the MCU..

I am going to give it a chance...and hope for the best.

On 8/9/2018 at 2:45 PM, JayOzOne said:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass on seeing "Venom" in the theaters. Studio is playing it safe by making it PG-13.

On 8/9/2018 at 11:01 PM, falconsd56 said:

I was reading that the reason it is pg-13 is because sony may be looking to do a MCU cross over.

On 8/9/2018 at 11:12 PM, JayOzOne said:

I honestly think that Venom could still work in the MCU despite having rated R solo films.

Many parents allow their kids or teenagers to watch rated R movies anyways as long as the R rating is strictly due to gore or extreme violence. No nudity or sexually suggestive language(which the MCU has made some sexual jokes in some their movies before).

There are ways to meet in the middle and give everyone what they want. Have his rated R solo films show the full extent of Venom's capabilities while using him in the MCU movies to establish his presence in the cinematic universe. This same type of model could be used for potential Blade, Punisher, Moon Knight, and Ghostrider solo movies or TV show/MCU crossovers.

18 hours ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

There are ways to meet in the middle and give everyone what they want. Have his rated R solo films show the full extent of Venom's capabilities while using him in the MCU movies to establish his presence in the cinematic universe. This same type of model could be used for potential Blade, Punisher, Moon Knight, and Ghostrider solo movies or TV show/MCU crossovers.

Marvel is experimenting with more adult themes in their Netflix series'. Audiences have mixed reviews.

28 minutes ago, Padawan Knight said:

Venom just doesn't appeal to me, and I'm not even a fan boy of the character.

I like the character a lot. I think he went through an overkill phase like Apocalypse, Urkel and Fonzie where it was all Venom, all the time. But at the core, it's a solid character. I just think Venom is a monster and the movie trailers appear to show him as a character to root for instead of be feared. I'm more interested in seeing "The New Mutants" than i am in watching "Venom" right now because approaching it as a horror film is fresh.

On 8/17/2018 at 11:12 PM, JayOzOne said:

I like the character a lot. I think he went through an overkill phase like Apocalypse, Urkel and Fonzie where it was all Venom, all the time. But at the core, it's a solid character. I just think Venom is a monster and the movie trailers appear to show him as a character to root for instead of be feared. I'm more interested in seeing "The New Mutants" than i am in watching "Venom" right now because approaching it as a horror film is fresh.

I'm right there with you. I actually like the Venom character, but this movie looks terrible (to me). The New Mutants intrigues me, as well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2018 at 2:04 PM, JayOzOne said:

Hmmm... I'm more excited about "Captain Marvel" than "Venom". Her role in "Avengers 4" can either kill the MCEU or set it up to continue printing money for years.

She’s a great actor, I can’t wait to see it. I might be a bit disappointed if Thanos is outright killed off though. There is so much story that archs off of him.

Good question. Personally, I think they start their creative process with brainstorming what would be cool to see instead of by figuring out what would be a compelling plot and then logically taking the heroes on their journey. They have huge spectacle scenes but if you don't give a squat about the characters in them, they wind up being forgettable. I'll be perfectly honest: I recall very little about "Batman v Superman" or "The Justice League" and I'm not compelled to watch them again to get caught back up.

"Wonder Woman" was great in spite of being an origin story because it had human characters and an actual story to tell. Batfleck is not compelling in the least and Cavill is blase as Superman. They tried to make Aquaman too cool and the shift in his character between the guy who cared for the villagers at the beginning to being an underwater party boy left me scratching my head about what was going on. Loved the Flash because he reminded me of people that I know. And I guess that's the point. The biggest problem I had with "The Justice League" was the fact that I never once felt any concern for the heroes. How else was it going to end?

Marvel does a much better job of putting their characters in jeopardy and making you like the characters. DC seems to start their process by considering What would nerdy fan-boys like to see on screen? but Marvel seems to consider the fact that they have almost 60 years of iconic stories and don't need to try too hard to pique the interest of its long-time loyal readers. Heck, my big sister goes to see Marvel movies before I have a chance to and she never read a Marvel book in her life.

In a nutshell, DC is trying too hard to make a blockbuster; Marvel tries much harder to tell a story.

On 9/12/2018 at 2:32 PM, JayOzOne said:

Good question. Personally, I think they start their creative process with brainstorming what would be cool to see instead of by figuring out what would be a compelling plot and then logically taking the heroes on their journey. They have huge spectacle scenes but if you don't give a squat about the characters in them, they wind up being forgettable. I'll be perfectly honest: I recall very little about "Batman v Superman" or "The Justice League" and I'm not compelled to watch them again to get caught back up.

"Wonder Woman" was great in spite of being an origin story because it had human characters and an actual story to tell. Batfleck is not compelling in the least and Cavill is blase as Superman. They tried to make Aquaman too cool and the shift in his character between the guy who cared for the villagers at the beginning to being an underwater party boy left me scratching my head about what was going on. Loved the Flash because he reminded me of people that I know. And I guess that's the point. The biggest problem I had with "The Justice League" was the fact that I never once felt any concern for the heroes. How else was it going to end?

Marvel does a much better job of putting their characters in jeopardy and making you like the characters. DC seems to start their process by considering What would nerdy fan-boys like to see on screen? but Marvel seems to consider the fact that they have almost 60 years of iconic stories and don't need to try too hard to pique the interest of its long-time loyal readers. Heck, my big sister goes to see Marvel movies before I have a chance to and she never read a Marvel book in her life.

In a nutshell, DC is trying too hard to make a blockbuster; Marvel tries much harder to tell a story.

A+

What makes it even worse is that I find the source material from DC to be substantially more engaging. They have the blue-print right in front of them.

I'm just ready to see what FX does w/ Y The Last Man.

9 hours ago, RubberDucky said:

A+

What makes it even worse is that I find the source material from DC to be substantially more engaging. They have the blue-print right in front of them.

I'm just ready to see what FX does w/ Y The Last Man.

I didn't know they were adapting it. Thought it was last supposed to be a movie that wound up in development **** about 10 years ago. Glad to see someone trying to put it on screen. Also just saw the first "The GIfted" commercial today and I'm glad it made it back for the Fall. It's actually my favorite X-Man universe adaptation (besides "Logan", "First Class" and "Days of Futures Past").