Padawan Knight

Marvel Cinematic Universe

2,973 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Nereek said:

Shazam was the original captain marvel dating back to 1930's when he wasn't part of dc comics yet. 

Does this upset you?

1 hour ago, Nereek said:

Yup, therefore Marvel's captain America is a weaker knockoff.

You are registering ridiculously high on the uptight nerd scale, friend. :lol: 

i'm basically with carter - i'm a big superhero movie fan, and my ranking of the mcu films is more of a "which one did i like the most" rather than "best to worst".

the only movie i really didn't care for was thor 2.

Carter and sdogg like this

Just now, achilles return said:

i'm basically with carter - i'm a big superhero movie fan, and my ranking of the mcu films is more of a "which one did i like the most" rather than "best to worst".

the only movie i really didn't care for was thor 2.

I get that for Thor 2... I enjoyed it, but I'm glad they went the direction they did with Ragnarok.

2 hours ago, Carter said:

You are registering ridiculously high on the uptight nerd scale, friend. :lol: 

Just teaching you some comic history.  :lol:

2 hours ago, achilles return said:

dc's shazam and marvel's captain marvel are basically nothing alike, so i don't get the competition. 

DC vs Marvel, there's always going to be competition. 

22 hours ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Yep, and the whole legal process over the name "Captain Marvel" was weird because the judge awarded Marvel the name despite DC owning the character that used the name first.

DawnOfThemBirds likes this

1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

Interesting.

Still don't understand why DC wanted the Caption Marvel character but was unsure whether they wanted the Captain Marvel name, especially when that was the character's name when it was at the height of that superhero's popularity.

8 hours ago, Grrrillapmpn Inc.® said:

Going into endgame completely blind. No previews, no articles...nothing. 

Never done it like this before, definitely makes the wait more bearable. 

True story. I was in Rochester New York on a business trip in 1999 when I found out the fourth and final day of our training would be only a morning session. Called the wife and told her that I was thinking about going to see "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace" on Thursday, a day after it was released. She demanded that I wait until I got home, even though she dislikes going to the movies in general and doesn't care about Star Wars at all. I remember kicking myself in the hotel room for opening my big mouth, but I decided I'd wait.

The next day, I left class with a big ol' smile on my face even though I was told that I couldn't fly out a day early without a $100+ upcharge. Went to Damons for lunch and when I left the restaurant I saw it was next to an 18 theater multiplex. And 10 of the cinemas were showing my movie. Logically, I knew that I could watch it and tell her that I wasn't interested when I returned home and she'd be none the wiser. But that would make me a liar. So, I went back to the hotel and read half of the copy of Walter Mosley's "A Little Yellow Dog", which I had bought at a second hand bookstore while there. Bored out of my mind.

The next week, I wanted to see the movie on Friday night. Avoided all spoilers and convo at work and on TV. Friday came and as per usual, she dragged *** ("Movies never start on time.") and we got there well after the opening scroll. I got our money back and b*tched like a little baby all weekend.

The next week, I demanded we leave early but we left almost when the movie started and I saw the last line of the scroll. Not happy, I let her convince me to go see "Wild Wild West" instead. Now, I was even more aggrieved. "Wild Wild West"? GTFOOH. I b*tched like a little baby all weekend.

On Thursday of the following week, I asked one of my employees, Mat, why he was smiling. "I took my little girl Paige to see 'Phantom Menace' again last night. Her jaw dropped when Qui Gon Jin got killed the same way it did the first time we saw it."

I pushed him and gave him a few choice swear words.

"Oh! I forgot you didn't see it. I'm sorry!"

Right then, another of my employees, Will, drove his forklift up and asked what was going on.

"I told Jay about somebody getting killed in 'Star Wars' and forgot he hadn't seen it yet," says Mat.

"Yeah, i was mad when Darth Maul got cut in half, too," said Will. "He was my favorite character."

If Phantom Menace had been a good movie, I could have been okay with it. I missed a chance to see it before anybody. And in exchange, I wasted two trips and paid to see "Wild Wild West", which I was never interested in and mad to have paid to see. And then, I saw a spoiled, overwritten-poorly-acted-Jar Jar Binks-starring-trash-heap of a childhood dream killing waste of celluloid. All because of my big mouth.

sdogg and Porkins like this

7 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Disney rehires James Gunn for Guardians of the Galaxy 3 after firing him over old tweets

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/15/18267551/james-gunn-direct-guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-disney-marvel

6 hours ago, Carter said:

I am so happy Disney rehired James Gunn.

Me too. I'm also shocked that reasonable minds won the day. I'm still pissed that I never saw Edgar Wright's version of "Antman". James Gunn is absolutely the star of GOTG.

By the way: This leads me to believe that "Brightburn" must be screening really really well.

Carter likes this

1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

Me too. I'm also shocked that reasonable minds won the day. I'm still pissed that I never saw Edgar Wright's version of "Antman". James Gunn is absolutely the star of GOTG.

By the way: This leads me to believe that "Brightburn" must be screening really really well.

I didn't even think it was a possibility tbh but I'm glad they did it. An apology on Disney's part would be great too but I'm satisfied with just having the director back.  As much as I like the avenger stories,   Guardians 1 is my favorite in the universe. 

2 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

The success (and frankly the awesomeness) of Antman is kinda cool for me. I had a friend growing up that was totally into Antman and I thought it was the strangest thing for the longest time because I had never even heard of this character before I met this kid. Dude was borderline obsessed, he absolutely loved the character. To the point where he had ant farms and **** like that and said if he could be anything in the world it would be an ant lol. He knew all kinds of facts about ants. It was weird. But we got along and he was really good at Street Fighter so we hung out. :lol: 

We moved and I never got to hang out with the dude again, eventually forgot all about him... until they announced Antman would be coming to MCU. Then I was like whaaaaaaat.... that’s that mother ****** that that mother ****** was all crazy about....

Anyway... always thought that was funny. 

Totally agree about Gunn and Guardians. His fingerprints and personality are all over it. That first one was the most unexpectedly awesome movie I’ve ever seen. I had zero expectations going in. I didn’t know **** about Guardians. I remember being in awe when that movie was over too. The only sad thing is Gunn absolutely handled that whole situation about as well as one could and he will always be hounded about it. And why? Because he criticized Trump and hypocritical snowflake alt right ***** ***** like Cernovich just can’t handle it.

sdogg, JayOzOne, falconsd56 and 2 others like this

On 3/10/2019 at 8:25 PM, Statick said:

Saw the Captain Marvel movie last night.

Excellent. Shed a tear for the Stan Lee tribute at the beginning.

Same here.... When "Thank You Stan" popped up.... Someone was cutting some onions near me or something.

Carter likes this