Padawan Knight

Marvel Cinematic Universe

2,709 posts in this topic

 

Falcon and Winter Soldier Limited TV Series in Development

A new television series teaming the Marvel Cinematic Universe's Falcon and the Winter Soldier is in development for Disney's streaming service, which is set to launch in 2019.

According to Variety, the limited series will be penned by Empire screenwriter Malcolm Spellman, becoming the first of Marvel's planned limited series on Disney's streaming platform to tap a writer. The Falcon and Winter Soldier series is now the third limited series reportedly in development for Disney Play, following earlier announcements of a Loki and Scarlet Witch solo series. Marvel and Disney declined to comment on the report.

While Tom Hiddleston and Elizabeth Olsen are expected to reprise their roles as Loki and Scarlet Witch in their respective series, it was not reported whether Anthony Mackie (Falcon) and Sebastian Stan (Bucky Barnes) will suit up again for the Falcon and Winter Soldier series. The limited series will be produced by Marvel Studios and Kevin Feige, unlike other Marvel television offerings.

Sebastian Stan has portrayed the role of James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes in six films to date within the Marvel Cinematic Universe, his first appearance occurring in 2011's Captain America: The First Avenger. Anthony Mackie has portrayed Sam Wilson in five films to date, debuting in 2014's Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Both actors are slated to appear in 2019's yet-titled fourth Avengers film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, biloxifalcon said:

 

Falcon and Winter Soldier Limited TV Series in Development

A new television series teaming the Marvel Cinematic Universe's Falcon and the Winter Soldier is in development for Disney's streaming service, which is set to launch in 2019.

According to Variety, the limited series will be penned by Empire screenwriter Malcolm Spellman, becoming the first of Marvel's planned limited series on Disney's streaming platform to tap a writer. The Falcon and Winter Soldier series is now the third limited series reportedly in development for Disney Play, following earlier announcements of a Loki and Scarlet Witch solo series. Marvel and Disney declined to comment on the report.

While Tom Hiddleston and Elizabeth Olsen are expected to reprise their roles as Loki and Scarlet Witch in their respective series, it was not reported whether Anthony Mackie (Falcon) and Sebastian Stan (Bucky Barnes) will suit up again for the Falcon and Winter Soldier series. The limited series will be produced by Marvel Studios and Kevin Feige, unlike other Marvel television offerings.

Sebastian Stan has portrayed the role of James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes in six films to date within the Marvel Cinematic Universe, his first appearance occurring in 2011's Captain America: The First Avenger. Anthony Mackie has portrayed Sam Wilson in five films to date, debuting in 2014's Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Both actors are slated to appear in 2019's yet-titled fourth Avengers film.

Marvel's TV shows are spotty as heck. "Agents of SHIELD" is interesting but a generally poorly produced show, IMO. Of course, "Inhumans" was a crap-fest. I think "Cloak & Dagger" has the chance to be exellent. Hopefully, these new shows are more the quality of the Netflix shows. I took a while to start watching "Daredevil" season 3 and so far, it's the best thing that Marvel has done. If they put $2 per episode in the Disney shows like they do "AOS" and did for "Inhumans", it's going to damage the MCEU brand greatly.

Interestingly, "The Gifted" and "Legion" are fantastic, so Fox is doing better with its TV shows than it is with the mutants on the big screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously, "Spiderman: Into The Spiderverse" looks like it's going to be the best Spiderman movie by far. And maybe the best cinematic superhero film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got around to finishing Iron Fist season 2. Not upset in the least it got canceled.

Would be nice to see some of these Defenders roles make some (quality) cameos in the future though. The tease from Misty that she didn’t like what she saw when she checked in on Luke and that Colleen or Danny might be the only ones who can get through to him was neat. The last few scenes of the finale were pretty poorly done though.

Gonna get started on Daredevil season 3 now. ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

Seriously, "Spiderman: Into The Spiderverse" looks like it's going to be the best Spiderman movie by far. And maybe the best cinematic superhero film.

That one is gonna be a Spider-Man comic nerd’s wet dream lol... it does look good though. I’ll probably take the kids to see it, I got them all into Marvel stuff now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2018 at 2:24 PM, JayOzOne said:

Marvel's TV shows are spotty as heck. "Agents of SHIELD" is interesting but a generally poorly produced show, IMO. Of course, "Inhumans" was a crap-fest. I think "Cloak & Dagger" has the chance to be exellent. Hopefully, these new shows are more the quality of the Netflix shows. I took a while to start watching "Daredevil" season 3 and so far, it's the best thing that Marvel has done. If they put $2 per episode in the Disney shows like they do "AOS" and did for "Inhumans", it's going to damage the MCEU brand greatly.

Interestingly, "The Gifted" and "Legion" are fantastic, so Fox is doing better with its TV shows than it is with the mutants on the big screen.

These new shows are on the Disney streaming service, so I'm thinking since Disney owns Marvel, and the involvement of Kevin Feige (production) that these shows should be way better. If they are not then they won't have that streaming revenue they are looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Carter said:

Daredevil is so much better than Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist... soooo much better. 

Season 3 was the best season of a Marvel show, period and I'm likely going to watch it again soon. The prison fight scene was the highlight for me; almost as good as the hallway fight from the first season. Season 1 was second best, IMO. With that said, Bushmaster, from "Luke Cage" season 2, is my favorite Marvel TV villain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

Season 3 was the best season of a Marvel show, period and I'm likely going to watch it again soon. The prison fight scene was the highlight for me; almost as good as the hallway fight from the first season. Season 1 was second best, IMO. With that said, Bushmaster, from "Luke Cage" season 2, is my favorite Marvel TV villain.

Yeah Daredevil season 3 has easily been one of the best seasons of any show I’ve ever seen. I wasn’t sure where they would take it after the events of The Defenders but they knocked this one waaaay out of the park. I still have a few more episodes left but it has been outstanding so far.

That whole prison sequence was crazy. I was so tense just watching it. The way they have made him beatable in season 3 but he manages to keep going is pretty awesome. 

JayOzOne likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

 

He also had a cameo in the 1st Deadpool movie. It was during the stripclub scene.

 

I don't think he made an appearance in Deadpool 2.

Yeah, he was the DJ in the strip club, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. I had a feeling that was coming but it's still a shock. News about the upcoming Defenders shows is why I first got Netflix. Can't imagine Disney picking up an R-rated series on its platform, either.

RIP.

I'm wondering now if the Punisher season 2 is in the can or if they're done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Wow. I had a feeling that was coming but it's still a shock. News about the upcoming Defenders shows is why I first got Netflix. Can't imagine Disney picking up an R-rated series on its platform, either.

RIP.

I'm wondering now if the Punisher season 2 is in the can or if they're done.

Disney is forcing this. Pretty sure of it. I agree I can’t see Disney being ok with an R rating DD. If they produce their own series it’ll be PG-13 at best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disney has said Hulu, which they will own 60% of will be getting the more adult program, while Disney+ stays kid friendly. 

My theory is that Disney is going to go to Comcast and ATT and try to have Hulu be their base service while allowing them and others to have premium services on top.  ATT has already said their new streaming service is going to be 3 tiered. Maybe tier 1 is Hulu, tier 2 is HBO Now and tier 3 is an HBO+DC+Crunchyroll combo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stan Lee was my dude, all day and every day. I can't put into words how much I was impacted by seeing the Black Panther in the pages of the Avengers when I was a little boy. I thought I was in a small company until the Black Panther movie wound up being almost a religious experience for millions of others. Someone recently posted an editorial that Lee wrote in 1968 that is sadly as applicable today as it was back then. This makes me love and miss that guy even more.

lee-article.jpg

And then, I saw something else that was published in the fan pages about a year later that was just as bold.

DtLSEtcVYAADYaF.jpg

DtLSGQ2VAAE2f9d.jpg

RIP, Stan. Excelsior!

biloxifalcon and Carter like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

Stan Lee was my dude, all day and every day. I can't put into words how much I was impacted by seeing the Black Panther in the pages of the Avengers when I was a little boy. I thought I was in a small company until the Black Panther movie wound up being almost a religious experience for millions of others. Someone recently posted an editorial that Lee wrote in 1968 that is sadly as applicable today as it was back then. This makes me love and miss that guy even more.

lee-article.jpg

And then, I saw something else that was published in the fan pages about a year later that was just as bold.

DtLSEtcVYAADYaF.jpg

DtLSGQ2VAAE2f9d.jpg

RIP, Stan. Excelsior!

This is one of the 2 to 3 reasons I started, and kept reading comics over the years. They were about way more that just "cartoons".

PS - I'd love to see Marvel give the Silver Surfer his props in a movie, that dude was bad assed!   The Fox movies didn't do that character justice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marvel is now looking to make a Shang Chi movie. In the '70s, I was a bigger fan of Shang Chi than I was of Iron Fist. Let's see if they handle this right.

Quote

‘Shang-Chi’ Marvel’s First Asian Film Superhero Franchise; Dave Callaham Scripting, Search On For Director Of Asian Descent

by Mike Fleming Jr
 
December 3, 2018 9:30am
 
Shang-Chi

EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Studios is fast-tracking Shang-Chi to be its first superhero movie tentpole franchise with an Asian protagonist. The studio has set Chinese-American scribe Dave Callaham to write the screenplay, and Deadline hears Marvel is already looking at a number of Asian and Asian-American directors who want to do something as potentially monumental as was accomplished in Marvel’s first viable Best Picture candidate, Black Panther. That film tied into African and African American cultures and the sensibilities of its nearly all-black cast, with a black director in Ryan Coogler and writer in Joe Robert Cole. The goal here is to do a similar thing: introduce a new hero who blends Asian and Asian American themes, crafted by Asian and Asian American filmmakers.

After Marvel Studios’ unparalleled decade of success following Iron Man, many have wondered how Kevin Feige’s next iterations of superhero franchises will distinguish themselves. Clearly an important theme will be ethnic diversity and inclusion, in front of and behind the camera.

Callaham has strong credentials in the superhero and franchise-building realms and his own experiences as a Chinese-American will inform the Shang-Chi movie mythology, sources said. His recent work includes co-writing with Patty Jenkins and Geoff Johns the upcoming DC Warner Bros sequel Wonder Woman 1984, and he is writing Sony’s animated Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2. He also wrote initial drafts of Zombieland 2, which begins production in January, and created and produced Amazon’s recent action comedy series Jean-Claude Van Johnson, starring Jean- Claude Van Damme. Callaham also created the Expendablesfranchise as well as the story for the Legendary’s Godzillareboot.

He’s got two comedies at Netflix: Callaham wrote the Black List-ed dark comedy caper script Jackpot, which Will Gluck will direct; and he wrote and is producing with Channing Tatum, Phil Lord & Christopher Miller, and Archer’s Adam Reed and Matt Thompson, the animated comedy America: The Motion Picture. Thompson is directing.

Shang-Chi first appeared in Special Marvel Edition #15 in December 1973, hatched by Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin. The script will modernize the hero to avoid stereotypes that many comic characters of that era were saddled with. The comic launched around the time that Enter the Dragon became a global sensation and martial arts films raged. In the comics, Shang-Chi is the son of China-based globalist who raised and educated his progeny in his reclusive China compound, closed off to the outside world. The son trained in the martial arts and developed unsurpassed skills. He is eventually introduced to the outside world to do his father’s bidding, and then has to come to grips with the fact his revered father might not be the humanitarian he has claimed to be and is closer to what others call him: The Devil’s Doctor. He also might be centuries old. The deceit makes them bitter enemies.

Marvel Studios has worked with a stable of talented filmmakers from diverse backgrounds including Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, directing next year’s Captain Marvel with Brie Larson; Coogler, directing the Black Panther sequel; Taika Waititi, who directed Thor: Ragnarok; Chloé Zhao, who will direct The Eternals; and Cate Shortland, who will direct a stand-alone film for Marvel staple Black Widow starring Scarlett Johansson.

Callaham is represented by UTA, Kaplan Perrone Entertainment, and Gretchen Rush & Dan Fox at Hanson, Jacobson.

https://deadline.com/2018/12/shang-chi-marvel-studios-first-asian-film-superhero-dave-callaham-kevin-feige-black-panther-1202512660/

biloxifalcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

Marvel is now looking to make a Shang Chi movie. In the '70s, I was a bigger fan of Shang Chi than I was of Iron Fist. Let's see if they handle this right.

https://deadline.com/2018/12/shang-chi-marvel-studios-first-asian-film-superhero-dave-callaham-kevin-feige-black-panther-1202512660/

Completely forgot about Shang Chi!  This should be awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now