Padawan Knight

Marvel Cinematic Universe

2,890 posts in this topic

I don't know anything about Captain Marvel.

That trailer didn't get me excited to watch the movie.

I hope the next one is better.

I was a Captain Marvel fan back in the '70s, well before Carol Danvers. My brother got me caught up when he was wearing the green and white uni and I followed him through the red blue and gold uniform. I'm intrigued by this because she's potentially the most powerful Marvel hero and if they're going to introduce her, then they have to introduce villains on a cosmic scale that are even mightier than Thanos... Like Galactus, the Beyonder or Eternity. Otherwise they have the Superman problem that DC always has had where no threat is interesting when the strongest guy in the universe is the good guy.

Like I said, I stopped reading well before the female Captain Marvel, but this movie looks really good to me. Way more interesting than "Venom".

sdogg likes this

1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

I was a Captain Marvel fan back in the '70s, well before Carol Danvers. My brother got me caught up when he was wearing the green and white uni and I followed him through the red blue and gold uniform. I'm intrigued by this because she's potentially the most powerful Marvel hero and if they're going to introduce her, then they have to introduce villains on a cosmic scale that are even mightier than Thanos... Like Galactus, the Beyonder or Eternity. Otherwise they have the Superman problem that DC always has had where no threat is interesting when the strongest guy in the universe is the good guy.

Like I said, I stopped reading well before the female Captain Marvel, but this movie looks really good to me. Way more interesting than "Venom".

They already flirted with Dormammu. Of course, Dr. Strange convinced him to leave Earth alone by tricking him with the time stone... but who knows. Dormammu is a stupidly powerful being. It’s gonna be fun to see how they work Captain Marvel and the quantum realm into defeating Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet. There are some theories about the soul stone as well but I avoid reading that stuff cuz I really want to experience the movies with a blank slate.

They have said that MCU will transition to a bigger scale, beyond Earth, with phase 4 and beyond. Bringing in the Fantastic Four umbrella to MCU would open up a ton of potential there. They really need to bring in Adam Warlock for the Thanos storyline.

I used to love Jim Starlin books. He did a story about Warlock when he was captured and put on trial by a cruel and grotesquely unfair alien judge. The trial had no point other than to punish him and find him guilty. Eventually, he escaped and he sucked the judge into the soul stone. Later, he experienced something difficult and pulled himself into the soul stone and while in it, he realized that the judge, to be as unfair and hateful as he was, wasn't actually evil. He was only behaving the way that he always had and in his eyes, he was right. Warlock almost had a nervous breakdown for using the soul stone to punish someone that he later realized had no choice in his actions. It was almost too deep for a comic.

Carter likes this

I might give comic book movies a chance after all. . . 

The last one I saw was the first X-Men movie that came in the early 2000s. I don't know the difference between Marvel or DC. . . didn't get into comic books as a youth

17 hours ago, Halcon-1 said:

The last one I saw was the first X-Men movie that came in the early 2000s. I don't know the difference between Marvel or DC. . . didn't get into comic books as a youth

You poor soul lol

6 hours ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

You poor soul lol

Yea I know lol. . . .which is what sparked me into getting into this stuff. I wish I had been more interested as a kid, but I think my disinterest was more not being introduced or exposed to this stuff than simply being disinterested. 

DawnOfThemBirds likes this

48 minutes ago, Halcon-1 said:

Yea I know lol. . . .which is what sparked me into getting into this stuff. I wish I had been more interested as a kid, but I think my disinterest was more not being introduced or exposed to this stuff than simply being disinterested. 

Start with Iron Man, make your way through the MCU through Infinity War.  There are a few you could skip if you wanted, but try to watch most (it's a major commitment, but worth the payoff).

Halcon-1 likes this

Just now, Mike Yanagita said:

Start with Iron Man, make your way through the MCU through Infinity War.  There are a few you could skip if you wanted, but try to watch most (it's a major commitment, but worth the payoff).

Thanks man! Seriously, I appreciate it. This is going to be a new hobby of mine.

Just now, Halcon-1 said:

Thanks man! Seriously, I appreciate it. This is going to be a new hobby of mine.

They range from really great to mediocre to bad, but most are at least entertaining, and the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. 

On 9/19/2018 at 8:32 PM, Halcon-1 said:

You'll be able to tell the difference, besides the obvious Marvel or DC logo that pops up at the beginning of each one. Dc aint bad, it's just that so far Marvel is better.

sdogg likes this

This is what made Marvel films must-see (the post-credit scenes):

Pretty sure the only thing spoiled by watching this is the cherry on the cupcake feeling you get from sticking around in the theater to see it in the first place.

sdogg and lostone like this

3 hours ago, Halcon-1 said:

It’s definitely a rewarding experience to follow the full story. They have done a really amazing job with the MCU movies. Some are much better than others, but to carry on the continuity they have throughout 10 years worth of movies is just nuts. Blows the whole idea of sequels to pieces.

One of the coolest things to me is the fact that Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, even The Avengers altogether was like the B list (at best) of Marvel characters. Fantastic Four and X-Men have historically been the most popular Marvel properties, with Spider-Man the most popular individual character. The rights to make movies with all those characters (F4, X-Men, Spidey) were all sold off to other studios years ago, so when Marvel actually set to making these movies they couldn’t actually use their most popular characters.

I’m just hoping they can start to work in some of those other popular franchises eventually like they have with Spider-Man. Would be cool to eventually see Deadpool in MCU but he falls under the X-Men umbrella and that’s kind of another issue. My favorite characters all pretty much fall under the X-Men and Fantastic Four umbrellas. F4 would be a lot easier to work into MCU. They have purposely avoided any mention of mutants (X-Men) in MCU or even the Netflix shows that are loosely within the same universe.

Halcon-1 and Sn4tteRBoxXeR like this

2 hours ago, Carter said:

I’m just hoping they can start to work in some of those other popular franchises eventually like they have with Spider-Man. Would be cool to eventually see Deadpool in MCU but he falls under the X-Men umbrella and that’s kind of another issue. My favorite characters all pretty much fall under the X-Men and Fantastic Four umbrellas. F4 would be a lot easier to work into MCU. They have purposely avoided any mention of mutants (X-Men) in MCU or even the Netflix shows that are loosely within the same universe.

Scarlet Witch Could Be Retconned As A Mutant In The MCU After All

BY THOMAS BACON

The Marvel Studios Visual Dictionary raises the possibility that the MCU's version of Scarlet Witch could be a mutant after all. When Elizabeth Olsen's Scarlet Witch entered the MCU back in Avengers: Age of Ultron, it was with a radically different backstory. Wanda and Pietro Maximoff (Quicksilver) weren't the mutants as fans knew from the comics, rather two young Sokovians who gained their powers after being exposed to the cosmic energies of the Mind Stone.

There was a simple business reason behind the characters' rewritten history. While Marvel could use Wanda and Peter thanks to their strong links to the Avengers in the comics, they didn't have the rights to use the word "mutant" in the MCU, as the X-Men license belongs to 21st Century Fox.

Disney's proposed Fox merger now looks inevitable, and CEO Bob Iger has already confirmed that the X-Men and the Fantastic Four will be joining the MCU. If everything goes as planned, by the end of 2019 Marvel will have gained the right to use mutants in their shared cinematic universe. And a new canon book suggests Marvel may be preparing to retcon Scarlet Witch (and the late Quicksilver) as mutants after all.

SCARLET WITCH COULD BE A LATENT MUTANT

Marvel Studios has just published its first official Visual Dictionary. It's a brief walk-through of the last ten years' worth of Marvel movies, and one of the most interesting sections is dedicated to the Scarlet Witch. The Visual Dictionary devotes a paragraph to Scarlet Witch's powers, and it hints at a possible retcon:

"She may be called Scarlet Witch, but Wanda's powers aren't derived from the occult. Whether it altered her or merely unlocked something latent inside Wanda, the Infinity Stone on Loki's scepter bestowed incredible powers of the mind. Wanda's internal neuro-electric interface allows her to conjure blasts of red telekinetic energy. She can also use this energy to create barriers, levitate and move objects; to communicate and read thoughts by telepathy; and even to manipulate the minds of others."

Notice that careful and precise wording. The Visual Dictionary suggests that the Mind Stone may not have granted Wanda her phenomenal powers, but instead triggered something that was already latent within her. In the comics, mutants are individuals who possess a unique gene, referred to as the X-gene. The vast majority of people with the X-gene are said to be "latent" mutants, with the gene lying dormant unless triggered by an outside force. This brief description suggests that, once the Fox merger is complete and the rights to mutants have been regained, Marvel could retcon Wanda and her brother as latent mutants whose X-genes were activated by exposure to an Infinity Stone.

Narratively, the retcon makes perfect sense. While it wasn't hard to believe the Mind Stone could have given Scarlet Witch powers such as telepathy and telekinesis - derived from the mind - it had always seemed odd that her brother became a super-speedster. If this idea is correct, though, it suggests that all the Mind Stone really did was trigger latent X-genes, and they simply developed the powers that could always have potentially been theirs.

Legally, it's a little muddier. While Marvel will soon have the X-Men rights, Disney isn't allowed to make any changes to its plans involving Fox properties until everything is finalized. That means the X-Men likely won't appear in the MCU until 2021, but also that Marvel Studios can't start any prep just yet. However, this may be vague enough to not be linked, just with some major ramifications.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR MUTANTS AND THE MCU?

There's been intense speculation about just how Marvel could introduce mutants into the MCU. This may be the first hint that Marvel is settling on an approach; that there have always been potential mutants in the MCU, but their X-genes have simply lain dormant, awaiting some sort of trigger event. Interestingly, there is comic book precedent for this idea. The 2012 Avengers Vs. X-Men event, for example, saw a blast of Phoenix Fire traverse the planet, activating dormant X-genes across the globe.

If this is indeed the approach Marvel choose to take, then the studio will effectively retcon Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch as mutants after all. They backstories would be rewritten to make them the first mutants seen in the MCU - a taste of all that is yet to come should everything go as planned between Fox and Disney.

https://screenrant.com/scarlet-witch-mutant-retcon-xmen-mcu/

Marvel’s Kevin Feige Confirmed to Oversee Disney’s X-Men Films

14 hours agoby Sam Stonein Movie NewsComment

It officially sounds like the X-Men will indeed become part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

After months of speculation what role Marvel’s Merry Mutants would play in the MCU after plans of their acquisition by Disney went public late last year, Disney CEO Bob Iger has confirmed the X-Men will fall directly under the supervision of Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige.

“It only makes sense. I want to be careful here because of what’s been communicated to the Fox folks, but I think they know,” revealed Iger in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter when asked if the former Fox properties would be overseen by Feige’s Marvel Studios. “It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn’t be two Marvels.”

After months of negotiations, Disney approved a $71.3 billion deal acquiring most of Fox’s properties including the cinematic licensing for the X-Men and Fantastic Four. The complete acquisition is expected to be finalized by summer 2019.

“Kevin’s got a lot of ideas,” continued Iger when asked if the acquisition meant Deadpool would join the Avengers. “I’m not suggesting that’s one of them. But who knows?”

https://www.cbr.com/kevin-feige-oversee-disneys-x-men-films/

sdogg, Carter and biloxifalcon like this

12 hours ago, Carter said:

It’s definitely a rewarding experience to follow the full story. They have done a really amazing job with the MCU movies. Some are much better than others, but to carry on the continuity they have throughout 10 years worth of movies is just nuts. Blows the whole idea of sequels to pieces.

One of the coolest things to me is the fact that Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, even The Avengers altogether was like the B list (at best) of Marvel characters. Fantastic Four and X-Men have historically been the most popular Marvel properties, with Spider-Man the most popular individual character. The rights to make movies with all those characters (F4, X-Men, Spidey) were all sold off to other studios years ago, so when Marvel actually set to making these movies they couldn’t actually use their most popular characters.

X-Men (definitely) and Fantastic Four (maybe) will probably play a big role in MCU Phases 4 and 5.  My guess is they'll start to work in some of those storylines in the next couple of years before really introducing them.  Also wouldn't be surprised (as this writer conjectured) to see something like an X-Men v. Avengers movie at some point in the future.  Civil War on a grander scale, basically, before they all have to team up to face a different cosmic threat.

sdogg, JayOzOne and Carter like this

18 hours ago, Carter said:

Thanks for the info! You all are turning me into a comic book geek!

Carter likes this

This is not news for the reason mentioned. The fact that she's a woman of color is less important in my opinion than the fact that this is the first female to direct a movie about non-female characters. Patty Jenkins did a great job on "Wonder Woman" and presumably, Anna Boden will do well with "Captain Marvel".

I give Marvel more props for hiring the best director for this film than for being aware of optics of having a female director for a female character and a black director for a Black character. Yeah, they already did it with Taika Watiti directing "Thor: Ragnarok", but let's get to where we have confidence that the best director will be hired regardless of character or diversity for sake of diversity.

With all of that said, I'm betting this is going to be another hit for Marvel Studios.

lostone, sdogg and Carter like this

5 hours ago, Mike Yanagita said:

X-Men (definitely) and Fantastic Four (maybe) will probably play a big role in MCU Phases 4 and 5.  My guess is they'll start to work in some of those storylines in the next couple of years before really introducing them.  Also wouldn't be surprised (as this writer conjectured) to see something like an X-Men v. Avengers movie at some point in the future.  Civil War on a grander scale, basically, before they all have to team up to face a different cosmic threat.

It's gonna be really interesting to see how they handle transitioning away from the original lineup of Avengers. Like it's awesome to think about X-Men vs Avengers eventually being a thing, but then I think about how Iron Man and Captain America (or at least RDJ and Chris Evans) will more than likely be exiting soon. It's just hard to imagine right now how MCU flows along without them.

I'm at hype level 500 for Captain Marvel though. Brie Larson is a great talent and I'm expecting that character will take up a lot of the slack from some others exiting MCU.

Jerry Lundegaard and sdogg like this

2 minutes ago, Carter said:

It's gonna be really interesting to see how they handle transitioning away from the original lineup of Avengers. Like it's awesome to think about X-Men vs Avengers eventually being a thing, but then I think about how Iron Man and Captain America (or at least RDJ and Chris Evans) will more than likely be exiting soon. It's just hard to imagine right now how MCU flows along without them.

I'm at hype level 500 for Captain Marvel though. Brie Larson is a great talent and I'm expecting that character will take up a lot of the slack from some others exiting MCU.

Same here.

Carter likes this

5 hours ago, Halcon-1 said:

Thanks for the info! You all are turning me into a comic book geek!

I'm not even a comic book geek really. I read some growing up and watched the X-Men cartoon religiously every Saturday morning, but I was never really a big comic book nerd. I had collected the trading cards they started coming out with in the 90s (also collected some baseball cards) until I came home from school one day and my dad had gotten rid of them all, telling me he did it for my own good because it was too much of a distraction. Man, talk about heartbroken and pissed! :lol: 

After that I gradually fell away from it. The internet wasn't a thing yet and my dad was against my interest in it so I couldn't do much to keep up with it. I've always been excited for and watched every single one of these big superhero movies that have come out over the years, although most of them were trash prior to MCU. I didn't pick back up the interest I have in it now until after the Captain America origin movie came out. Since then though I've been loving it all over again.