Jairus Byrd/bj Raji

xSICKxWITHxITx

I think yiu absolutely wrong. What position burned our defense the most last year? TE! Who usually checks TE? Safeties! And a good amount of that was due to DeCoud and Moore, but more so DeCoud.

And to your other point, he is a part of the defensive overhaul. Not the entire process in one player.

When we get beat by a TE it's because he is being covered by a LB.

We know TD is a cheapskate on the FA market, which means we rarely bring in somebody at the top of the food chain. This year we have the money to bring in a couple of top-tier FA's and I would love to see us jettison DeCoud and pay the $5 or $6 million per season difference to have Byrd at FS. He's among the best there is at his position and would really make a huge difference in the ability of our defense to hold onto leads and also to help the defense get off the field on third down. Sometimes you have to pay the price to get a super-important player, like we had to do to draft JJ. I say let's go get him.

Look what the really good safeties do for a defense. Guys like Eric Berry, Kam Chancellor, Earl Thomas, Troy P., Mark Barron. They all are game-changers for their teams. We have DeCoud.

If we get Byrd and Houston then attack the draft with defense in mind we're set. Draft Mack and Tuitt/Hageman/Nix/Jernigan/Donald to make the transformation complete. Now that's a good defense.

I think BJ fell off due to scheme. He's not a 5-tech. Better fit as a DT in the 4-3.

I still wouldn't pay much for him though.

This is my stance too. He turned down about $8 mil a year to bet on himself, and looks like he ,ay have to settle for a 2 year decent deal and then re-hit the market ---- EXACTLY like Cliff Avril who turned down $10 mil a year from Detroit, Seattle got him cheap, and then he should have been Super Bowl MVP destroying Orlando Franklin and forcing all 3 Peyton INTs, as well as getting 2 sacks.

Raji can be that force for us as a 4-3 DT, breaking the pocket down vs the pass in a similar to Ngata style. He was asked to hold up OL like many 3-4 DE do to free up the linebackers. Horrible position for him but GB knows his talent and offered him $8 mil a year anyway. A down year and now he'll leave in FA. So perfect for what we need on the DL --- big pocket collapsing DTs who can rush the QB, stop the run, and also shift to a 3 man front. Hits all 3. Hope we steal him and Matt Ryan uses their BC connection to recruit him.

This is my stance too. He turned down about $8 mil a year to bet on himself, and looks like he ,ay have to settle for a 2 year decent deal and then re-hit the market ---- EXACTLY like Cliff Avril who turned down $10 mil a year from Detroit, Seattle got him cheap, and then he should have been Super Bowl MVP destroying Orlando Franklin and forcing all 3 Peyton INTs, as well as getting 2 sacks.

Raji can be that force for us as a 4-3 DT, breaking the pocket down vs the pass in a similar to Ngata style. He was asked to hold up OL like many 3-4 DE do to free up the linebackers. Horrible position for him but GB knows his talent and offered him $8 mil a year anyway. A down year and now he'll leave in FA. So perfect for what we need on the DL --- big pocket collapsing DTs who can rush the QB, stop the run, and also shift to a 3 man front. Hits all 3. Hope we steal him and Matt Ryan uses their BC connection to recruit him.

Good stuff...maybe Raji is one of the reasons Pack LBers are so active. Easy to be studs when your DT is eating up blocks. Love to see Spoon and Wor with a Raji type of NT keeping dudes off them...

Look what the really good safeties do for a defense. Guys like Eric Berry, Kam Chancellor, Earl Thomas, Troy P., Mark Barron. They all are game-changers for their teams. We have DeCoud.

If we get Byrd and Houston then attack the draft with defense in mind we're set. Draft Mack and Tuitt/Hageman/Nix/Jernigan/Donald to make the transformation complete. Now that's a good defense.

Too bad our oline will still suck..

. Guys like Eric Berry, Kam Chancellor, Earl Thomas, Troy P(when he was good).

What do they have in common? Very good dline.

Fix the lines first .

If we pay Byrd 9 mill I will lose all faith in TD.

All the Byrd detractors will be singing a different tune once they see the impact he has on whoever signs him. He is a difference maker. I watch everyone post about who they want with the number 6 pick, defenders like Clowney, Mack and Barr. Yet you don't wanna sign an all pro at a position of need on defense? Byrd will make a bigger impact than any defensive player we will draft.

Too bad our oline will still suck..

. Guys like Eric Berry, Kam Chancellor, Earl Thomas, Troy P(when he was good).

What do they have in common? Very good dline.

Fix the lines first .

If we pay Byrd 9 mill I will lose all faith in TD.

I don't think you're getting the picture. They contribute to how good the D Line is! They erase mistakes by Linebackers in coverage! And this guy is one of the very best in the league. Imagine his impact on a groyp of young CBs and LBs?? We need leaders on defense, he could be a great start.

For Byrd: They'll be asking for a king's ransom in that trade. Nope nope nope.

For Raji: I agree completely. He's a recognizable name but he's declined sharply over the past couple of seasons.

This.

The Falcons roster cannot afford to overspend on a FS, even if he is the "best." You can be sure TD and Smith know this.