Should We Find Weatherspoons Replacement In The Draft?

JulioisCoolio

Eh, maybe. We need an actual solution at SLB since Bartu won't cut it so I think getting an OLB high is inevitable. As for that player replacing Spoon... we'll see how the season pans out for him.

Why won't Bartu cut it? I've just come around over the last few weeks to letting our two UDFA LBs have another season starting to see what they can do with an elite DL in front of them and an elite secondary behind them. It's not like Worrilow misses tackles and it isn't his fault our DL was manhandled on every snap so that RBs had running lanes galore and he had to guess where the RB would be going --- sake for Bartu.

From a measurables standpoint -- Worrilow is Luke Kuechly Jr (1 inch and 5 lbs shorter/lighter) and Bartu is Vontaze Burfict Jr (same measurements). I wrote a thread on their athleticism and it's surprising that Worrilow is actually more athletic then Kuechly at basically the same build (same 40 to the hundredth, better 3 cone and shuttle) and same with Bartu vs Burfict.

NY Giants won 2 Super Bowls with elite DL, good secondary, OK to bad LBs. Seattle just win with elite secondary, very good DL, and one good LB and the other 2 OK at best. Our defense should he able to win one with an elite DL and elite secondary and good LBs. If Bartu and Worrilow don't continue to improve their games this season then we can look to upgrade, but why throw away two UDFA gems just because they were UDFA? Seattle continues to start late round and UDFA players because they are good and it allows them to spend $ elsewhere. Having two good starting LBs being UDFAs who make less than $1 mil each would allow us to go sign FS Jairus Byrd, DE Greg Hardy or Michael Johnson, DT BJ Raji, and trade up for & pay DE Jadaveon Clowney.

Edited by The Dirty Bird

Smith will probably be resigned by the Ravens. They want him back and he wants to be back.

Cards also said if they can't agree on a contract with Dansby they will tag him.

Please show me a link that says the Cards said they will tag Dansby. I highly doubt that is true since they used a high draft pick last year on ILB Kevin Minter (LSU) who I am sure is ready to take over with Daryl Washington as his running mate now that his suspensions are over.

I'd be interested in a Daryl Washington trade if Dansby does re-sign there long term --- tho I don't know what we have that they'd want: 3-4 OLB Kroy Biermann could make a lot of sense for them as well as DeCoud as insurance for Tyrann and to replace coverage liability Yeremiah Bell at the other safety spot.

FS DeCoud & OLB Biermann for ILB D-Wash? I could certainly get in board, tho I think DeCoud may be part of our trade package to the Rams who need a veteran free safety to play alongside talented but burnable SS TJ McDonald (USC).

Spoon & D-Wash in our nickel D would be too nice, and we could keep D-Wash and let Spoon walk eventually as DWash is the more complete player and sans injury issues (knock on wood).

Why won't Bartu cut it? I've just come around over the last few weeks to letting our two UDFA LBs have another season starting to see what they can do with an elite DL in front of them and an elite secondary behind them. It's not like Worrilow misses tackles and it isn't his fault our DL was manhandled on every snap so that RBs had running lanes galore and he had to guess where the RB would be going --- sake for Bartu.

From a measurables standpoint -- Worrilow is Luke Kuechly Jr (1 inch and 5 lbs shorter/lighter) and Bartu is Vontaze Burfict Jr (same measurements). I wrote a thread on their athleticism and it's surprising that Worrilow is actually more athletic then Kuechly at basically the same build (same 40 to the hundredth, better 3 cone and shuttle) and same with Bartu vs Burfict.

NY Giants won 2 Super Bowls with elite DL, good secondary, OK to bad LBs. Seattle just win with elite secondary, very good DL, and one good LB and the other 2 OK at best. Our defense should he able to win one with an elite DL and elite secondary and good LBs. If Bartu and Worrilow don't continue to improve their games this season then we can look to upgrade, but why throw away two UDFA gems just because they were UDFA? Seattle continues to start late round and UDFA players because they are good and it allows them to spend $ elsewhere. Having two good starting LBs being UDFAs who make less than $1 mil each would allow us to go sign FS Jairus Byrd, DE Greg Hardy or Michael Johnson, DT BJ Raji, and trade up for & pay DE Jadaveon Clowney.

You gotta be kidding me. You seriously think they can sign one of those trios?? Jairus Byrd is looking at about 10 mil a year, MJ about 8, and Hardy at least 10. Raji will get about 6-7 mil a year. This is free agency. Teams will be bidding against one another, hence the cost for each free agent will boom. The falcons have what 20-25 mil in cap space, but how many positions need to be filled? 20-25 mil is nothing compared to other teams, but oh yeah, the Falcons will easily sign 2 of the top 5 free agents and 3 out of the top 15! Get out of your fantasy land dude.

Let's face it, if he wants 6-7 mil a year, he's simply not worth it. He does not make impact plays. He misses too many tackles and last but not least, he's never on the field.

We must stop overpaying injury prone current players.

My proposed solution?

#37 ATL selects OLB Kyle Van Noy

Strengths: Quick, instinctive linebacker with excellent reaction skills. Athletic enough in coverage, showing balance and change of direction. Locates the ball quickly and provides good effort in pursuit. Impressed at the Senior Bowl with his fluidity and instincts in coverage by closing quickly to bat away multiple passes during practices.

Shows excellent play recognition, taking on blockers with the correct shoulder (allowing him to slide off would-be blockers and into ballcarriers easily) and is equally effective slipping into coverage or sliding past offensive linemen on his way toward a tackle behind the line of scrimmage.

Surprised many coaches and teammates by returning for senior season, then battled through late-season injury to stay on the field and serve as the defense's leader.

Who do those strengths remind you of? Paul Worrilow. Paul has great instincts and in time will develop even better play recognition. Let's get these guys next to each other.

Kyle van Noy is more of a 3-4 rush LB while weatherspoon in a 3-4 is a ILB and a OLB in a 4-3

Ryan Shazier from Ohio state is who I'd take he's a playmaker in the pass game and run game and is improving as a rusher but like Bartu is better suited inside (like spoon) for now

Please show me a link that says the Cards said they will tag Dansby. I highly doubt that is true since they used a high draft pick last year on ILB Kevin Minter (LSU) who I am sure is ready to take over with Daryl Washington as his running mate now that his suspensions are over.

I'd be interested in a Daryl Washington trade if Dansby does re-sign there long term --- tho I don't know what we have that they'd want: 3-4 OLB Kroy Biermann could make a lot of sense for them as well as DeCoud as insurance for Tyrann and to replace coverage liability Yeremiah Bell at the other safety spot.

FS DeCoud & OLB Biermann for ILB D-Wash? I could certainly get in board, tho I think DeCoud may be part of our trade package to the Rams who need a veteran free safety to play alongside talented but burnable SS TJ McDonald (USC).

Spoon & D-Wash in our nickel D would be too nice, and we could keep D-Wash and let Spoon walk eventually as DWash is the more complete player and sans injury issues (knock on wood).

Hmm I can't find it. The one I did find said they don't expect him to be tagged.

Free agent ILB Karlos Dansby expects to be back with the Cardinals in 2014.

"I definitely expect to be an Arizona Cardinal next year," Dansby said. "We don’t have long here (before free agency) so we’ll get to talking and try and hammer something out." Dansby, 32, is coming off an All-Pro-caliber season and is looking to cash in but said he'd be willing to take less money to return to the desert. He's our No. 2 overall free-agent inside 'backer, behind Donald Butler.

Source: azcardinals.com Feb 11 - 1:50 PM

Also Washington isn't going anywhere. He one of if not the best LBers in the league. Just has to stop getting suspended.

before talking about replacing Spoon let's look at all the LBs right now

Bartu

Worrilow Dent

Spoon

they Need at least 1 more BEFORE replacing anyone

hopefully it would be an OLB that can play either side

rumors say Chase Thomas and Jamar Chaney have been resigned but there are conflicting rumors about where they are

before talking about replacing Spoon let's look at all the LBs right now

Bartu

Worrilow Dent

Spoon

they Need at least 1 more BEFORE replacing anyone

hopefully it would be an OLB that can play either side

rumors say Chase Thomas and Jamar Chaney have been resigned but there are conflicting rumors about where they are

I'm not talking about replacing him this season. I'm talking about getting his replacement NOW for next offseason. What could it hurt? Spoon will miss 8 games anyway.

I'm not talking about replacing him this season. I'm talking about getting his replacement NOW for next offseason. What could it hurt? Spoon will miss 8 games anyway.

NEEDS

2 Starting DTs Peters Babs FAs

2 Backup DTs Jerry FA Robertson/Replogle no experience

2 Backup CBs Franks McClain FAs Samuel cut

1 OLB NIc replacement

1 FS ???? upgrade DeCoud

many want 1 better DE

5 Startng O-linemen replace all 5 2013 starters

1 Starting TE replace Gonzo

they've got 7 maybe 8 picks + maybe 3 FAs

where do you fit an EXTRA OLB into that picture???:

NEEDS

2 Starting DTs

2 Backup DTs

2 Backup CBs

1 OLB

1 FS ????

many want 1 better DE

5 Startng O-linemen

1 Starting TE

they've got 7 maybe 8 picks + maybe 3 FAs

where do you fit an EXTRA OLB into that picture???:

Go ahead and remove 1 DT, at least 1 CB, 5 starting OL???? 2 AT THE MOST will be brought in. We will be resigning players like McClain, Babs maybe Peters so you can go ahead and ease up on those needs some.

2-3 DT's

1 CB

1 OLB

1 FS

2 OL

1 TE

You're up to 9 players OR 3 FA's and our top 5 rounds of draft picks. I see room.

Go ahead and remove 1 DT, at least 1 CB, 5 starting OL???? 2 AT THE MOST will be brought in. We will be resigning players like McClain, Babs maybe Peters so you can go ahead and ease up on those needs some.

2-3 DT's

1 CB

1 OLB

1 FS

2 OL

1 TE

You're up to 9 players OR 3 FA's and our top 5 rounds of draft picks. I see room.

you're probably right about the re-signs and that is the sad thing----- not real desire to to step up to the next level now while the gate is open-- wait until next year again

Got Worrilow and Bartu as uDFA do that again???? joke

With PW, Bartu, Spoon, Biermann, and Dent at our linebacker spots, I say don't worry at all about linebacker this season. Build the defensive line up, and you should see linebacker play improve.

Depends on how the draft falls. Definitely build the DL, but we should be picking for value at positions of need. Therefore, if an unexpected OLB is there for our (say) 3rd pick, get him, if the best DTs that are available shouldn't be picked until the 4th.

Linebacker is one of the positions where you can find production later on in the draft. Players without the huge numbers can just work in a scheme, as can players who maybe don't have the measurables you want. Unless it's a pass rusher, I'd rather not take a linebacker in our first three picks.

LBs arent big money in free agency. There value is steady. No sense to draft a OLB in early rounds in a 4-3 scheme where the impact doesnt warrant that high of selection.

Panthers took 4-3 Lbs Luke Kuechly and all of a sudden they have a top 2 run D, and he helps cover tight ends and shut down the middle of the field in pass pro.

You saw how bad our D was with bad LB play --- I really don't get the 4-3 LBs have little impact argument. If they can't cover, you can't win (see: Keith Brooking, playoff game vs Arizona). And if they can't tackle, you also can't win (see: how DeCoud tries to tackle).

If you have elite inside LBs, you will have a very good D: Carolina, San Fran, Kansas City, Cleveland, all have at least one stud ILB making plays. look at Dallas with Sean Lee (good D). And without Sean Lee (worst defense ever).

Hmm I can't find it. The one I did find said they don't expect him to be tagged.

Also Washington isn't going anywhere. He one of if not the best LBers in the league. Just has to stop getting suspended.

With AZ using a high 2nd rd pick last year on talented ILB Kevin Minter --- highly doubt they franchise tag Karlos Dansby despite his amazing All-Pro year. Only sensible thing would be to trade Minter for a player or pick (I'd do Minter for Biermann straight easy) and then re-sign Karlos, but that's only if they are fully committed to winning this season with little regard to the future (Carson Palmer acquisition points in this direction).

I agree with you that Daryl Washington is one of the best true LBs in the game -- top 10 right now probably: Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman, Derrick Johnson, Luke Kuechly, Lavonte David, Sean Lee, Karlos Dansby are the clear top 7. Daryl Washington, Vontaze Burfict, D'Qwell Jackson, Von Miller (true LB?), Jerod Mayo, even Thomas Davis, DeMeco Ryan's (new Philly version), David Harris, Bobby Wagner and Spoon have a place in the convo -- along with next year youngsters DeMario Davis, Kiko Alonso, Wesley Woodyard, Mychal Kendricks, and rookie CJ Mosley will get in the convo.

But if trading Daryl Washington (when they have Minter & Dansby and were fine w/o him) means hey can get the #6 pick and a franchise QB (Teddy Bridgewater) it will be absolutely worth it for Arizona. Carson can play out his deal in AZ, or Teddy can pull a Russell Wilson and out play him in camp and steal the job. AZ's future with Teddy at QB, Andre Ellington at RB, Michael Floyd at WR, and Larry Fitz's remaining year is exciting.

You gotta be kidding me. You seriously think they can sign one of those trios?? Jairus Byrd is looking at about 10 mil a year, MJ about 8, and Hardy at least 10. Raji will get about 6-7 mil a year. This is free agency. Teams will be bidding against one another, hence the cost for each free agent will boom. The falcons have what 20-25 mil in cap space, but how many positions need to be filled? 20-25 mil is nothing compared to other teams, but oh yeah, the Falcons will easily sign 2 of the top 5 free agents and 3 out of the top 15!

Yes I do and I said very clearly that they can make more moves to get over $40 mil on cap space. Right now we about $25 mil under. Restructures for Matt Ryan (+9 mil), Roddy (+6 mil), Blalock (+5 mil) brings us to $45 million in cap space.

Further cuts to DeCoud, Osi, SJax (+3 mil each), Reynolds, Snelling (+1 mil each) brings total cap space to about $56 million.

Michael Johnson ($7.5 mil 1st year cap hit), Jairus Byrd ($8.5 mil 1st year cap hit), BJ Raji ($7.5 mil 1st year cap hit), Alex Mack ($6 mil 1st year cap hit) = $29.5 mil cap space used, with $26.5 million left to spend.

W/o the restructures, we can get all 3 defenders but are stuck with the combo of Konz or Hawley at Center.

Teams who are aggressively trying to improve --- like Seattle last year who went after good free agents and drove them to sign at team friendly deals (Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, Tony McDaniel) and traded for Percy Harvin --- don't just sit around and play with what they have. With the additions to the defense and Harvin who made an impact in the big game --- they won a Super Bowl. April terrorized Orlando Franklin and Peyton Manning all night getting a couple sacks and forcing several interceptions --- and Harvin had a return TD and chunks of yardage.

I firmly believe all 3 of those defensive FAs would have a HUGE positive impact on our D; and that Alex Mack would steady our entire line and prevent DTs from destroying our line up the middle like Gerald McCoy, Star Lotulelei, and Bunkley/Akiem Hicks in our own division.

With AZ using a high 2nd rd pick last year on talented ILB Kevin Minter --- highly doubt they franchise tag Karlos Dansby despite his amazing All-Pro year. Only sensible thing would be to trade Minter for a player or pick (I'd do Minter for Biermann straight easy) and then re-sign Karlos, but that's only if they are fully committed to winning this season with little regard to the future (Carson Palmer acquisition points in this direction).

I agree with you that Daryl Washington is one of the best true LBs in the game -- top 10 right now probably: Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman, Derrick Johnson, Luke Kuechly, Lavonte David, Sean Lee, Karlos Dansby are the clear top 7. Daryl Washington, Vontaze Burfict, D'Qwell Jackson, Von Miller (true LB?), Jerod Mayo, even Thomas Davis, DeMeco Ryan's (new Philly version), David Harris, Bobby Wagner and Spoon have a place in the convo -- along with next year youngsters DeMario Davis, Kiko Alonso, Wesley Woodyard, Mychal Kendricks, and rookie CJ Mosley will get in the convo.

But if trading Daryl Washington (when they have Minter & Dansby and were fine w/o him) means hey can get the #6 pick and a franchise QB (Teddy Bridgewater) it will be absolutely worth it for Arizona. Carson can play out his deal in AZ, or Teddy can pull a Russell Wilson and out play him in camp and steal the job. AZ's future with Teddy at QB, Andre Ellington at RB, Michael Floyd at WR, and Larry Fitz's remaining year is exciting.

Yes I do and I said very clearly that they can make more moves to get over $40 mil on cap space. Right now we about $25 mil under. Restructures for Matt Ryan (+9 mil), Roddy (+6 mil), Blalock (+5 mil) brings us to $45 million in cap space.

Further cuts to DeCoud, Osi, SJax (+3 mil each), Reynolds, Snelling (+1 mil each) brings total cap space to about $56 million.

Michael Johnson ($7.5 mil 1st year cap hit), Jairus Byrd ($8.5 mil 1st year cap hit), BJ Raji ($7.5 mil 1st year cap hit), Alex Mack ($6 mil 1st year cap hit) = $29.5 mil cap space used, with $26.5 million left to spend.

W/o the restructures, we can get all 3 defenders but are stuck with the combo of Konz or Hawley at Center.

Teams who are aggressively trying to improve --- like Seattle last year who went after good free agents and drove them to sign at team friendly deals (Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, Tony McDaniel) and traded for Percy Harvin --- don't just sit around and play with what they have. With the additions to the defense and Harvin who made an impact in the big game --- they won a Super Bowl. April terrorized Orlando Franklin and Peyton Manning all night getting a couple sacks and forcing several interceptions --- and Harvin had a return TD and chunks of yardage.

I firmly believe all 3 of those defensive FAs would have a HUGE positive impact on our D; and that Alex Mack would steady our entire line and prevent DTs from destroying our line up the middle like Gerald McCoy, Star Lotulelei, and Bunkley/Akiem Hicks in our own division.

Disgusting plan and would likely make us end up like the Cowboys.