6'7", 350Lb Massive Pocket Collapsing Nt - Daniel Mccullers- Bhhtd!

gazoo

How often does that happen? Rarely. HeIl ask Reynolds. Being that tall, your center of gravity can only change so much. There is a reason there aren't many players on either lines that are 6'7 and his weight. And it's not a matter of there not being many that exist. It's because of the stress it places on the body to consistently stay low. 6'7 320 could develop. I don't see it happening at 6'7 350.

you've moved the goalposts- you asked for a current player that was 6'7", and I gave you one who was 6'7" and another who's 6'6" so they do exist and they can be effective.

now, your argument is that they can't consistently get leverage because of their size, to which I'd reply that Henderson did it for at a high level for a really long time.

So, tell me, if he measures out at 6'5.5" at the combine, does he suddenly become more valuable?

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Despite his inexperience, McCullers' size and ability to disrupt things from the middle often made him the focus of an opponent's blocking scheme. Has been double-teamed on most snaps and has even seen triple-team blocks often. Despite the attention, McCullers' size and strength make him tough to move in the running game. He plays with better leverage than one might expect given his frame, holding up well inside and sliding off blockers to handle two-gap responsibilities when playing the 3-4 nose guard. He was equally impressive against the run when Tennessee switched to a four-man front in 2012"

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2027385/daniel-mccullers

Questions?

That's a great objective writeup on him.

There is no question he played well at times which is what you look for in a developing player. He is raw and played 2 years in JUCO, so there's also going to be games he struggled. This is the sign of a player who has potential....flashes good play but plays inconsistently. He played well against some of the better teams though....this needs to be noted.

These are the kinds of guys you look for in the middle rounds, its not a matter of can he play like Vince Wilfork his rookie season, its a question of does he have the talent and athletic ability to play NT for the Atlanta Falcons good enough to tie up two blockers, collapse the pocket and let others make the plays if he gets coached up?

you've moved the goalposts- you asked for a current player that was 6'7", and I gave you one who was 6'7" and another who's 6'6" so they do exist and they can be effective.

now, your argument is that they can't consistently get leverage because of their size, to which I'd reply that Henderson did it for at a high level for a really long time.

So, tell me, if he measures out at 6'5.5" at the combine, does he suddenly become more valuable?

Marcus Stroud played an effective DT right next to Henderson at 6'6".

Okay? His "Weaknesses" are pass rushing, which i don't think anybody is saying he needs to be good at. People are saying he doesn't demand double teams, has bad leverage, and that we don't run a 3-4. That says he Does demand double teams, he plays with good leverage, and he played well in a 4-3 as well.

So once again, questions?

yeah, he definitely takes up doubles. I think he has potential as a pass rusher. he needs to get better hand usage though.

Not moving them at all. I replied straight to your post. You named one 6'7 player in all of NFL history that you know of top. There are numerous 6'6-6'7 DTs that didn't work because of the very reason me and Julio don't like McCullers. Same as sub-6'0 QBs. For every Flutie, Brees and Wilson, there are 1000 Troy Smiths.

If he measures 6'2 at the Combine I still won't like him. I don't like his tape, same as I didn't like Kwame Geathers, a similar player who this place wanted solely because of his size. His height is one of the reasons.

yeah, he definitely takes up doubles. I think he has potential as a pass rusher. he needs to get better hand usage though.

Eating blockers is really all he needs to do for us. If he can get double teams on a consistent basis that will free up our DE's and LB's to rush the passer or run free against the RB.

Nobody's saying he's without flaws, he's a raw, inexperienced DT that has a lot of learning to do. I just think he has the tools to be able to learn a lot and get very good for us as a rotational space eater.

Eating blockers is really all he needs to do for us. If he can get double teams on a consistent basis that will free up our DE's and LB's to rush the passer or run free against the RB.

Nobody's saying he's without flaws, he's a raw, inexperienced DT that has a lot of learning to do. I just think he has the tools to be able to learn a lot and get very good for us as a rotational space eater.

One thing you'll notice on those videos I linked in original post, McCullers can flat out move....he chased down the sprinting QB from behind after a 30 yard run cross/down field.....It was an amazing play for a 350lb DT to make. When I see an extraordinary play like that made by any player I take notice.

If he can move like that in the open field at that size, he's certainly got a shot at getting to the QB in short open space. Most prototypical NTs don't move well in space, that's why that play really stood out to me.

I agree with you if he ends up not being proficient at rushing the passer it's not an issue as long as he can do his main job of taking up two blockers and collapsing the pocket form time to time so others can make all the plays. However, if he can effectively pressure the QB from time to time as well it would be even better.

One thing you'll notice on those videos I linked in original post, McCullers can flat out move....he chased down the sprinting QB from behind after a 30 yard run cross/down field.....It was an amazing play for a 350lb DT to make. When I see an extraordinary play like that made by any player I take notice.

If he can move like that in the open field at that size, he's certainly got a shot at getting to the QB in short open space. Most prototypical NTs don't move well in space, that's why that play really stood out to me.

I agree with you if he ends up not being proficient at rushing the passer it's not an issue as long as he can do his main job of taking up two blockers and collapsing the pocket form time to time so others can make all the plays. However, if he can effectively pressure the QB from time to time as well it would be even better.

If you want size and movement then I'd suggest looking at Justin Ellis. He's shorter so he can get better leverage but he's still 345 lbs. I think he should lose 15 lbs so he can get better agility but he's huge, powerful, and has experience all across the line. He reminds me of Dontari Poe. A poor man's version, but still he's got a great future.

If you want size and movement then I'd suggest looking at Justin Ellis. He's shorter so he can get better leverage but he's still 345 lbs. I think he should lose 15 lbs so he can get better agility but he's huge, powerful, and has experience all across the line. He reminds me of Dontari Poe. A poor man's version, but still he's got a great future.

I like Ellis as well, especially since he is projected in the middle rounds. I strongly feel we will be a better team over the next few years of we draft a dominant OL or one of the stud LBs with our first pick and pick up a space eating NT in middle rounds that will help our young, talented LB corps.

Ellis doesn't wear the 345lbs anywhere near as well as McCullers does though, so I agree he should lose some of that weight.

I like Ellis as well, especially since he is projected in the middle rounds. I strongly feel we will be a better team over the next few years of we draft an OL or one of the stud LBs wit our first pick and pick up a NT in middle rounds.

Ellis doesn't wear the 345lbs anywhere near as well as McCullers does though, so I agree he should lose some of that weight.

Have you watched him? His strength is his agility despite that size. He's shockingly quick for a nearly 350 lb player.

Good post, BTW. I think our greatest need on defense is at NT.

Which is why Matt Ryan should be recruiting the heck out of his old Boston College teammate: BJ Raji.

Not only does Raji want out of GB, he wants into a 4-3 where he can get upfield and play on the other side of the LOS. While we would ask him to play some snaps a nose tackle when we flex to a 3-4, we run a 4-3 80% of the time and the "hybrid" aspect is just if the DE stands up off of the line of scrimmage (Biermann, or Michael Johnson/Brian Orakpo if we sign one) to play a Leo OLB/adze role. So he can still get upfield from the NT spot.

Perfect scheme fit for both team needing player and player desiring scheme, and perfect considering he'd instantly be a leader on D. GB uses him to hold up OL to free up pathetic LBs -- total waste of talent, similar to how Kansas City ruined Glenn Dorsey.

Whether it's with us, Chicago, or Dallas -- I'm excited to watch Raji realize his potential in a 4-3 attacking scheme. Just hope it's with us. Won't break the bank like Greg Hardy -- very possible Raji + Michael Johnson could be had for near the price of Hardy (in terms of 1st year cap hit). Major could out price himself from the market like Avril did last year & be forced to take a value 2 year deal so he can re-hit free agency still in his prime. I'd prefer we get a 6 year deal done for $6 mil in the first year and climbing (for both).

With FAs like DT Raji, DE/OLB M-Johnson, FS Jairus Byrd, (bringing back Babs + McClain cheaply), and drafting DE/OLB Clowney #1 and DT/DE Stephon Tuitt #2 (or Louis Nix III/Ra'Shede Hageman/Aaron Donald) ---- our defense can be very good in a hurry.

Have you watched him? His strength is his agility despite that size. He's shockingly quick for a nearly 350 lb player.

I haven't seen any more of him than I have of McCullers. It is harder to tell what you got without watching each snap of several of their games and I've not done that with either.

Which is why Matt Ryan should be recruiting the heck out of his old Boston College teammate: BJ Raji.

With limited resources, I don't think that is the best move to spend a ton on a FA NT when we can draft a serviceable one in the middle rounds with upside potential.

In fact, I think it is brilliant TD drafted two starting CBs that he can pay chump change comparatively for a few years. Starting CB is typically a high pay position, since we drafted 2 last year we can use that cash we'd be paying a veteran elsewhere.

This is why I think we pick a starting caliber OT with out first pick. Starting OTs make huge bucks, but if we draft a high quality starter we play relative chump change for a few years and use extra cash to extend veterans like JJ. A FS is a need and it would make more sense to me to pay a plug in ready high quality FA FS.

Not moving them at all. I replied straight to your post. You named one 6'7 player in all of NFL history that you know of top. There are numerous 6'6-6'7 DTs that didn't work because of the very reason me and Julio don't like McCullers. Same as sub-6'0 QBs. For every Flutie, Brees and Wilson, there are 1000 Troy Smiths.

If he measures 6'2 at the Combine I still won't like him. I don't like his tape, same as I didn't like Kwame Geathers, a similar player who this place wanted solely because of his size. His height is one of the reasons.

Forgive me for not knowing the height of every DTackle that's ever played off the top of my head.

you asked for an example of a 6'7" DT, I gave you a 6'7" Dt, a 6'6" DT and 3 6'5" DTs. That's five from a list of the top 25 DTs. That completely disproves the idea that a tall DT can't be effective.

You'll note I said you may be right about McCullars, just not because of his height. Which is my entire point- those other 6'7" DTs didn't fail just because they were 6'7", they failed because they weren't talented enough, weren't dedicated enough,weren't quick enough...

and I'm saying he's better than just that. I'm saying at 21, he's still super raw. What he provides now is good. But he has potential to be a great interior rusher. Has Haloti Ngata potential.

"I gave you a 6'7" Dt, a 6'6" DT and 3 6'5" DTs. That's five from a list of the top 25 DTs. That completely disproves the idea that a tall DT can't be effective."

I agree that the notion that a 6'7" DT is too tall to be effective in the NFL has been disproved. There are indeed 6'6" and 6'7" DTs that have played at a high level in the NFL over the years and even currently.

On this thread you can see several recent examples:

John Henderson 6'7", very good DT for a decade (just retired in 2012)

Tony McDaniel 6'7", good long career, and good enough to win a Super Bowl with on a dominating defense

Jason Hatcher 6'6", starting DT for Cowboys

Kendell Lanford 6"6", 6 years starting DT

Albert Haynesworth 6'6", dominant DT for years (just retired in 2012)

Try telling the Super Bowl Champions that had a dominating defense with a 6'7" DT starting for them that a 6'7" DT is too tall to be effective.

and I'm saying he's better than just that. I'm saying at 21, he's still super raw. What he provides now is good. But he has potential to be a great interior rusher. Has Haloti Ngata potential.

Agreed, and i hope you're right. He definitely has all the odds to become great someday. Would be amazing to get a superstar and not even have to break the bank for him.

Agreed, and i hope you're right. He definitely has all the odds to become great someday. Would be amazing to get a superstar and not even have to break the bank for him.

If we can get a serviceable prototypical NT in McCullers in round 3 or 4 to take up two blockers and allow our other players, esp our young talented group of LBs to make the plays we will be a much better defense, esp with the two young CBs coming back improved.

If we draft McCullers and he becomes much more than simply a serviceable space eating NT, it will be an enormous score for a NT picked in round 3 or 4.

get out of here with that bs. He isn't anything like Ngata. Ngata proved in college he can play the run AND the pass. He has Casey Hampton potential. But not the best NT in the NFL potential

And getting a Casey Hampton in the 4th round is a bad thing?

no Casey Hampton is or was a solid player. McCullers learn to play with leverage he can have a Casey Hampton type of career. But Ngata is s difference maker. 5 time Pro Bowler AND 5 time All Pro. Hampton made the Pro Bowl 5 times too. I have always said if McCullers learn to play with leverage he would be a pretty good player. I just dont think he will ever learn how to do it