I Know This Goes Against Every Mock, But...

xskyx

I agree with the OP in that's it should at least be considered. Having a FS like Pryor teamed up with Moore would be great.

Those going on about ignoring the lines are forgetting TD's specialty seems to be picking up secondary players. He doesn't however appear as good at picking Line players. If wouldn't be a bad idea to let him finish off the secondary.

I agree with the OP in that's it should at least be considered. Having a FS like Pryor teamed up with Moore would be great.

Those going on about ignoring the lines are forgetting TD's specialty seems to be picking up secondary players. He doesn't however appear as good at picking Line players. If wouldn't be a bad idea to let him finish off the secondary.

Did you actually watch our front 7 last year? We were HIDEOUS. DeCoud is a weak link but we have other more glaring needs

I agree safety needs help....but secondaries are icing on the cake...the DL and LB's are the cake itself.

Seattle just proved this theory wrong by having the best secondary beer and a bunch if value free agents on the DLine and mid-round athletic type LBs. Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, Tony McDaniel were all signed last year to small deals. Red Bryant lose snaps to them, and Brandon Mebane is another value DT they re-signed the year prior who had a huge role for that D. They used a 1st in Bruce Irvin bust he was shaping up as a quick bust at DE and because they were able to sign a few DEs last year they moved him to OLB where he provides some pass rush occasionally --- a waste of a pick for them and they'd much rather have taken OG David DeCastro, WR Kendall Wright, WR Alshon Jeffery, CB Janoris Jenkins, LB Mychal Kendricks, WR Rueben Randle, or obviously OLB Lavonte David.

If ATL has an elite secondary via draft & FA (add FS Byrd & CB Talib to CBs Trufant, Alford (slot), SS Moore) and some cheap value DE/DTs like Michael Bennett, Henry Melton, Lamarr Houston, and Jabaal Sheard ---- Atlanras defense would be amazing. #6 could be used on a DE like Clowney, an OLB/DE like Mack or Barr, true LB like Mosley, or a monster 3tech like Jernigan (reach IMO) would only further boost the defense. Flip side if the D is loaded with FA talent, can take a special TE prospect like Eric Ebron, or take advantage of the draft pool and pair Julio Jones with Sammy Watkins and replace Tony Gonzalez with a base 3 WR offense of Julio & Roddy outside and Sammy Watkins in the slot.

The latter (Watkins at #6 if we fill out the D fully in FA) would certainly add a wow factor to Atlantas draft while both protecting the team against Julio's foot woes, Roddy's impending decline, and give Matt Ryan a long term elite WR duo to reach the elite QB mountain top and make sure we NEVER AGAIN have a WR the quality of Harry Douglas acting as our #1. I could really get behind the Watkins pick if we cleared a ton of cap room and signed FS Byrd, DT Raji, DE M-Johnson, DT/DE Houston and three OLinemen: C Mack, OT Stewart/Clabo/Oher, and OG a Colon/Asamoah.

Now hear me out.

Everyone (including myself) has mocked us taking either DT OT or DE in the first. Those are the obvious choices.

I see one more position that could use a major renovation.

Free Safety.

By fixing this position, we would have one **** of a secondary. We spent big on two young corners last year. We have a great SS in WillyMo. Why not complete the package by adding a great young FS in the first round?

We could trade back to 11 with a possible trade with TN. That would net us their 2nd rounder as well. We could use that #11 pick on Clinton-Dix from Alabama.

We could then use our two 2nd rounders to address the lines, and add any missing pieces in free agency.

Now go ahead and call me crazy.

I don't mind the dropping back to 11, but I think that's too high for Clinton-Dix. I'm not sold on him, so I wouldn't draft him in the top 15-20. If we dropped back to 11 & picked up a 2nd round pick, I'd look at Ed Reynolds out of Stanford. He's kind of an Anti-Decoud. He is a true centerfielder with a quick 1st step. Almost always takes good angles and will deliver a pop when making the tackle. Would be nice to see that from a FS again. We could get him early in the 2nd.

Everyone has us picking up Joseph and Johnson on defense, and Asamoah/Shwarz and a RT on offense zo there are the main holes fixed.

This draft is pretty deep so we can grab some nice rookies in the 2nd.

Kinda makes sense to pick Dix if you think about it

If they do that what did they do in the draft?

I think signing a RT might be the wrong Pos maybe a center. And maybe a NT then all the big holes will be filled.

Seattle just proved this theory wrong by having the best secondary beer and a bunch if value free agents on the DLine and mid-round athletic type LBs. Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, Tony McDaniel were all signed last year to small deals. Red Bryant lose snaps to them, and Brandon Mebane is another value DT they re-signed the year prior who had a huge role for that D. They used a 1st in Bruce Irvin bust he was shaping up as a quick bust at DE and because they were able to sign a few DEs last year they moved him to OLB where he provides some pass rush occasionally --- a waste of a pick for them and they'd much rather have taken OG David DeCastro, WR Kendall Wright, WR Alshon Jeffery, CB Janoris Jenkins, LB Mychal Kendricks, WR Rueben Randle, or obviously OLB Lavonte David.

If ATL has an elite secondary via draft & FA (add FS Byrd & CB Talib to CBs Trufant, Alford (slot), SS Moore) and some cheap value DE/DTs like Michael Bennett, Henry Melton, Lamarr Houston, and Jabaal Sheard ---- Atlanras defense would be amazing. #6 could be used on a DE like Clowney, an OLB/DE like Mack or Barr, true LB like Mosley, or a monster 3tech like Jernigan (reach IMO) would only further boost the defense. Flip side if the D is loaded with FA talent, can take a special TE prospect like Eric Ebron, or take advantage of the draft pool and pair Julio Jones with Sammy Watkins and replace Tony Gonzalez with a base 3 WR offense of Julio & Roddy outside and Sammy Watkins in the slot.

The latter (Watkins at #6 if we fill out the D fully in FA) would certainly add a wow factor to Atlantas draft while both protecting the team against Julio's foot woes, Roddy's impending decline, and give Matt Ryan a long term elite WR duo to reach the elite QB mountain top and make sure we NEVER AGAIN have a WR the quality of Harry Douglas acting as our #1. I could really get behind the Watkins pick if we cleared a ton of cap room and signed FS Byrd, DT Raji, DE M-Johnson, DT/DE Houston and three OLinemen: C Mack, OT Stewart/Clabo/Oher, and OG a Colon/Asamoah.

Well done you make a good argument, however there is a fundamental flaw in your reasoning. It's not so much the talent level of the Seattle secondary but more the scheme and the very physical nature of their style of play. Their corners are big and physical often disrupting routes which bought time for the D-line to get after qbs. Our corners are good in coverage but they cannot match seattle's physical style of play. Simply adding a FA even one of Byrd's caliber will not elevate them too that level. Our secondary is built to play off the pass rush not have the pass rush play off of them.

Also the other flaw with your theory is it would be an extremely hard sell to convince all those FA to take modest deals for a team coming off a 4-12 record. Especially with playoff teams like the niners, packers, and eagles who have similar if not more cap space than we do. I love both Watkins and Ebron but they are luxury picks I'd rather we stand pat in the draft take the best defender available at #6 unless a really good trade back to the middle of the first comes our way.