Our Young Cornerback Position

It kills me how negative folks are on here.

Me too. I can't believe people are still doubting Trufant had a **** good year for a corner period. Alford was a victim of pick routes and triple moves and I'm sure that he'll improve with a pass rush and offseason workouts with Darrell Green and Ryan Clark. I'll always believe the front office did him a disservice by not starting him the whole year. Water under the bridge though. McClain will get back to his 2012 form. Nickel corner is hard as **** to play and when the QB has forever it gets 10x's harder.

Eta: not worried about Alford's height. He locked down Colston, VJax, Fitz,

Crabtree & Boldin (in the first half, got him on pick routes in the second half) I'll have to watch a few more games but he did well for a rookie. He can't play nickel though. His eyes will get him in trouble.

Edited by Rise_Up_504

Do we go into next season with Trufant and Alford or do we bring in a proven vet ? I know we have McClain and Frank's but i'd sure feel a lot better with a veteran added to the unit.

Why not Marcus Trufant?It makes perfect since!You would have the 2 Trufant bros an he wouldnt kill the CAP then we could have this CB rotation...

D.Trufant,Alford,M.Trufant,McClain,Mabin

Trufant all but shut down pretty much everybody except Larry Fitz, and even those catches were mostly in the slot where Tru is weakest.

Anyone doubting Tru at this point needs to check their fan card and make sure it reads "Falcons" because he was our best defensive player last year and one of the best at his position in the entire league, and that's while playing behind the worst D-Line in the entire NFL.

Alford i could see the critique, he got burned a lot last year even though overall he did do very well.

I entertained the thought of letting McClain walk and signing a star CB like Aqib Talib which would allow Talib to erase opposing #1 WRs, Trufant to continue developing into a shutdown #1 CB while covering #2 CBs, and Alford can use his truly elite speed and athleticism to lock down the slot --- we play a base nickel defense so it calls for 3 CBs anyway.

Plus with the slightly more limited role (not in vs the run), Alford can remain our primary punt returner which fills two needs with one signing. If we bring back McClain, Alford will be a full time starter and we probably need a different return man.

No question our defense is better if we have Talib (or DRC or Verner or Vontae) outside with Trufant speedy 5'10 Alford manning the slot and occasionally blitzing. But if we can use that money instead of getting DE Greg Hardy or DT BJ Raji, then bringing back McClain for pennies and getting the DL is probably the way to go.

Expensive (elite) secondary is more the Seattle model and then signing a bunch if very good value free agent DLs (Jabaal Sheard could be our Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett can be himself, Henry Melton can settle for a 1 year deal with us to establish his marker value etc.)

The stack the DLines and be young in the secondary is the NY Giants D model which won 2 rings --- but if the DLine isn't playing LIGHTS OUT --- the defense can fall apart and the youngsters in the secondary can get picked on.

I would love if we managed to convince Aqib Talib to come play against Tampa twice a year and bring FS a jairus Byrd with him from the AFC East. We would have a secondary IMO that is better than the LOB because in my opinion Byrd > Earl, Talib and Sherman are both erasers at CB and Talib was a favorite for DPOY until he got hurt, Trufant > Maxwell, and Willy Mo is right now < Kam by a little but when Willy Mo is hot he is one of the best playmaking SS in the game; this is also forgetting about Robert Alford who could be the best slot CB in the NFL with his speed and athleticism and ability to blitz and get to the QB too ---- I'm worried about 5'10 Alford in the outside going against guys like 6'4 Colston and 6'5 VJax or 6'2 M-Will and that's just our division.

Free Agents: CB Aqib Talib, FS Jairus Byrd, DE Michael Johnson, DT BJ Raji would be all we need on D (plus DE Jadaveon Clowney in the 1st and DT Stephon Tuitt in the 2nd) to enter Top 5 D status ---- and we can free up the money with more cuts (DeCoud, SJax, Osi) and restructures (Blalock, Matt Ryan, Roddy).

Let's do it Dimitroff.

Plus with the slightly more limited role (not in vs the run), Alford can remain our primary punt returner which fills two needs with one signing. If we bring back McClain, Alford will be a full time starter and we probably need a different return man.

Except McClain is our punt returner, not Alford. Did a fairly decent job of it too really, considering how useless we are at blocking for him.

I entertained the thought of letting McClain walk and signing a star CB like Aqib Talib which would allow Talib to erase opposing #1 WRs, Trufant to continue developing into a shutdown #1 CB while covering #2 CBs, and Alford can use his truly elite speed and athleticism to lock down the slot --- we play a base nickel defense so it calls for 3 CBs anyway.

No question our defense is better if we have Talib (or DRC or Verner or Vontae) outside with Trufant speedy 5'10 Alford manning the slot and occasionally blitzing. But if we can use that money instead of getting DE Greg Hardy or DT BJ Raji, then bringing back McClain for pennies and getting the DL is probably the way to go.

Expensive (elite) secondary is more the Seattle model and then signing a bunch if very good value free agent DLs (Jabaal Sheard could be our Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett can be himself, Henry Melton can settle for a 1 year deal with us to establish his marker value etc.)

The stack the DLines and be young in the secondary is the NY Giants D model which won 2 rings --- but if the DLine isn't playing LIGHTS OUT --- the defense can fall apart and the youngsters in the secondary can get picked on.

I would love if we managed to convince Aqib Talib to come play against Tampa twice a year and bring FS a jairus Byrd with him from the AFC East. We would have a secondary IMO that is better than the LOB because in my opinion Byrd > Earl, Talib and Sherman are both erasers at CB and Talib was a favorite for DPOY until he got hurt, Trufant > Maxwell, and Willy Mo is right now < Kam by a little but when Willy Mo is hot he is one of the best playmaking SS in the game; this is also forgetting about Robert Alford who could be the best slot CB in the NFL with his speed and athleticism and ability to blitz and get to the QB too ---- I'm worried about 5'10 Alford in the outside going against guys like 6'4 Colston and 6'5 VJax or 6'2 M-Will and that's just our division.

Free Agents: CB Aqib Talib, FS Jairus Byrd, DE Michael Johnson, DT BJ Raji would be all we need on D (plus DE Jadaveon Clowney in the 1st and DT Stephon Tuitt in the 2nd) to enter Top 5 D status ---- and we can free up the money with more cuts (DeCoud, SJax, Osi) and restructures (Blalock, Matt Ryan, Roddy).

Let's do it Dimitroff.

i hear ya but IMO it'll never happen. this FO will not turn around and spend BIG on a CB after having drafted 2 CBs with its' top 2 picks last draft. they'll re-sign McClain (IMO) and move Tru to LCB (or he'll shadow the #1 WR) with Alford as the other starting CB. to me, the CB issue will take care of itself, with the players that were in place last year, AS LONG AS the DLine is addressed.