Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vel

4-3 Under, The Leo And The Falcons Multiple Defense

287 posts in this topic

Yes you take him. Interior pressure is a premium and he's the best one in this draft. We need a top notch 3T. He's not as versatile, but if Nolan took over the Bengals, I doubt he'd not want Atkins.

Plus, there are a lot of big players available. If we add Joseph, Jackson and Houston, I doubt anyone would complain about adding Donald.

Lol I doubt he'd cut him. He said himself he flexes his system to fit players. But dies that mean with a fresh start he grabs an undersized, tailor made Tampa 2 DL with a first or second pick with gaping holes at NT and 5 tech size and 3 expired contracts? Possible but not probable IMO. I'd use the 3 signings and 2 or 3 draft picks to recreate Miami defense or San Fran if I were Nolan. But who knows?

Dumervil fit OLB perfectly. Had his biggest year there, he now plays in similar role for ravens

Dumervil is 5'11 250lbs. That isn't a perfect fit for an OLB in a 3-4.

3-4/5-2 whatever...semantics there. The Titans were a 3-4 for the first time in 2013. Hybrid with a 3-4 base.

Agree too much time on number of DL on field at anytime. If were looking at draft prospects and potential FAs look at body type and skill sets Nolan has liked at other stops. Find who compares to justin smith (Michael Johnson imo), randy Starks (Joseph , Hageman and maybe tuit) or abrayo franklin or Paul soliai( Cody or D. Jones or J. Ellis or Nix IMO )

Knight of God likes this

No he started off as a 3-4 DE then they moved him to NT but either way, he wants to be able to rush the QB more, so he won't want to come here and play NT, which was the point I was making.

and they moved him back to a DE in the 3-4. He is best suited for a DT in a 4-3

Many a just barely 6 ft guy with 250 lbs and speed have played standup rusher or off edge. That's not nearly as odd as a Tampa 2 DT clogging 2 gaps

No, but Dumervil fit perfectly. He is 5'11" 260lbs. Had 9.5 sacks in a very limited role and loved every minute of it. I would say it was a great fit for him.

MSalmon likes this

No, but Dumervil fit perfectly. He is 5'11" 260lbs. Had 9.5 sacks in a very limited role and loved every minute of it. I would say it was a great fit for him.

Such a great role he went to ravens in same capacity

Knight of God likes this

The player he is makes it work not the size. That is my point. I want someone that can play. I dont care if he is undersized at his position. That's what football is about. Whipping the man in front of you
Knight of God likes this

Many a just barely 6 ft guy with 250 lbs and speed have played standup rusher or off edge. That's not nearly as odd as a Tampa 2 DT clogging 2 gaps

What Tampa 2 DT are you speaking of

The player he is makes it work not the size. That is my point. I want someone that can play. I dont care if he is undersized at his position. That's what football is about. Whipping the man in front of you

Bro you are seriously reaching. Dumervil plays well in space--hence why he's great in 34 or hybrid.

Donald and geno are penetrators and best in Tampa 2 with single gap responsibility and big boy clogging other side..,alas warren sapp

I know you like Donald. I like him. Great player. But he may be scheme dependent. And while we could draft him, you've yet to give a compelling argument as to WHY we would draft him,

3-4/5-2 whatever...semantics there. The Titans were a 3-4 for the first time in 2013. Hybrid with a 3-4 base.

No.

Titans hired ex-Browns DC Ray Horton as defensive coordinator.

The deal will become official on Tuesday. Some contract issues still need to be worked out between Horton and the Browns, but the 53-year-old will be running the show on the defensive side of the ball in Tennessee next season. Horton and coach Ken Whisenhunt have worked together in Pittsburgh and Arizona in the past. The Titans will be making the switch to the 3-4 defense. On paper, Akeem Ayers seems likely to be one of the main beneficiaries. He has plus pass-rush skills and projects to play outside 'backer. Zach Brown could fill the Daryl Washington role at inside linebacker. However Horton decides to employ his players, we do know it's going to be an aggressive, attacking group.

Related: Browns

Source: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter Jan 18 - 10:13 AM

MSalmon and Knight of God like this

No.

Titans hired ex-Browns DC Ray Horton as defensive coordinator.

The deal will become official on Tuesday. Some contract issues still need to be worked out between Horton and the Browns, but the 53-year-old will be running the show on the defensive side of the ball in Tennessee next season. Horton and coach Ken Whisenhunt have worked together in Pittsburgh and Arizona in the past. The Titans will be making the switch to the 3-4 defense. On paper, Akeem Ayers seems likely to be one of the main beneficiaries. He has plus pass-rush skills and projects to play outside 'backer. Zach Brown could fill the Daryl Washington role at inside linebacker. However Horton decides to employ his players, we do know it's going to be an aggressive, attacking group.

Related: Browns

Source: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter Jan 18 - 10:13 AM

Okay, I misread it. the 3-4 was based on the recent coaching change. Thanks.

MSalmon likes this

Bro you are seriously reaching. Dumervil plays well in space--hence why he's great in 34 or hybrid.

Donald and geno are penetrators and best in Tampa 2 with single gap responsibility and big boy clogging other side..,alas warren sapp

I know you like Donald. I like him. Great player. But he may be scheme dependent. And while we could draft him, you've yet to give a compelling argument as to WHY we would draft him,

I think I said the player makes it work. The player I'm talking about is Elvis Dumervil. The player is good in space not his height or weight. We might or might not take Donald. Who knows

No matter what you say Elvis Dumervil is undersized as a OLB by NFL standards. And Mike Nolan started him as a OLB AND put him as a DE, with his hand on the ground, in passing situations. That tells me Nolan cares about results and not height and weight like some think he is

Knight of God likes this

I think I said the player makes it work. The player I'm talking about is Elvis Dumervil. The player is good in space not his height or weight. We might or might not take Donald. Who knows

Lol ok...like i said the kid is a great prospect. Nolan may say screw it I'm building around him. Who knows. We just got a lot of holes and we do need girth and longer 5 tech types. And Donald is also an odd draft position for us. He's not a #6 overall guy...but prolly a first round guy. I can't see Chicago and Dallas passing on him. So he might be a guy you have to trade down for (hard to do) or a guy you trade back into first round for (expensive)...with a buncha great DL prospects, it's hard imagining us moving back into first round for him...but like you said who knows

No matter what you say Elvis Dumervil is undersized as a OLB by NFL standards. And Mike Nolan started him as a OLB AND put him as a DE, with his hand on the ground, in passing situations. That tells me Nolan cares about results and not height and weight like some think he is

Lol Nolan also worked with BVG's left overs on defense, it says he's flexible not necessarily that these guys are his types. Btw Nolan only stayed one season in denver

Lol Nolan also worked with BVG's left overs on defense, it says he's flexible not necessarily that these guys are his types. Btw Nolan only stayed one season in denver

He is flexible. He can run a 3-4 or 4-3. That's what I like about him
Knight of God likes this

Lol ok...like i said the kid is a great prospect. Nolan may say screw it I'm building around him. Who knows. We just got a lot of holes and we do need girth and longer 5 tech types. And Donald is also an odd draft position for us. He's not a #6 overall guy...but prolly a first round guy. I can't see Chicago and Dallas passing on him. So he might be a guy you have to trade down for (hard to do) or a guy you trade back into first round for (expensive)...with a buncha great DL prospects, it's hard imagining us moving back into first round for him...but like you said who knows

I wouldn't take Donald until the 2nd

I wouldn't take Donald until the 2nd

Not sure he'll be there. If I'm Chicago I snap him up. He's perfect fit and FT starter day one. Ditto with Dallas under kiffen. Rams are possibility at 13 as well

ESPN Chicago's Mike C. Wright could "definitely" envision the Bears using the No. 14 pick in May's draft on Florida State DT Timmy Jernigan.

Mel Kiper and Todd McShay's most recent mock drafts have Chicago selecting Jernigan, and Wright agrees with their logic. Defensive line was a huge weakness for the 2013 Bears, as they were relentlessly gashed by opposing run games and got no interior penetration after losing Henry Melton for the year. Jernigan goes 6-foot-2, 292 and would play "three technique" in Chicago.

Related: Bears

Source: ESPN Chicago Feb 9 - 6:00 PM

Not sure he'll be there. If I'm Chicago I snap him up. He's perfect fit and FT starter day one. Ditto with Dallas under kiffen. Rams are possibility at 13 as well

Rams already drafted a 3 tech high.