Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vel

4-3 Under, The Leo And The Falcons Multiple Defense

287 posts in this topic

Kids, this is a lesson in why pride gets you nowhere. FFS70 can easily just accept his knowledge is limited. Instead, he chooses to try and tear down others and show even more ignorance. We all are holding back on him out of respect, but it's wearing thin fast.

Kids, this is a lesson in why pride gets you nowhere. FFS70 can easily just accept his knowledge is limited. Instead, he chooses to try and tear down others and show even more ignorance. We all are holding back on him out of respect, but it's wearing thin fast.

Dis_gon_be_good.gif

Lol it's only going to be good if he keeps showing how little he knows and trying to tear others down for being knowledgeable instead of appreciating it, joining in or just soaking it in and learning. It's a sad thing. Pride.

blkbigdog35 likes this

Lol it's only going to be good if he keeps showing how little he knows and trying to tear others down for being knowledgeable instead of appreciating it, joining in or just soaking it in and learning. It's a sad thing. Pride.

I'm just happy to actually see SOME football threads. I logged in today and seen two threads with actual football discussion in them and had to do a double take to make sure I was in the right place.

vel and MSalmon like this

Folks Vel the expert posted this in his original post:

With the Elephant rusher in a two-point stance and the strongside linebacker usually near the line of scrimmage as another capable pass rushing option, these defenses look like a 5-2 or 3-4 front.

08fifthdown-eleph-blogSpan.jpg

It’s somewhat of a semantic argument because there will be four players in a two-point stance behind three down defensive linemen, but this front is more like a 4-3 than a 3-4 because of how the three linemen line up. The lineman to the inside of the Elephant rusher is aligned as a 3-technique, something that you won’t see in a base 3-4 set. This look is essentially a 4-3 Under with a standup defensive end.

Now maybe Vel can point out the four players in a two point stance and then explain why Jelly is in the 4T position instead of the 5T position that a 4-3 under calls for.

The confusion is this looks like a 3-4 or 5-2, like the article says, to the untrained eye. You have 3 DL with their hands in the dirt, normally bigger guys, and 2 players standing on the ends in pass rush stances. Where the distinction comes in is the personnel. Our 3 DT looks made since to be labeled a 3-4, except when looking at assignments. 3-4 defense have two 5-Tech ends and a NT. 4-3 Under has one 5T, a 1T and a 3T.

So Vel this wasn't a Google quote. This was straight out of your mouth in post #1. Now kindly show us the two players standing on the ends in pass rush situations in JulioAintCoolio's pic. Then show us the 5T (hint: Jelly is in a 4T position). You aint no expert son.

Folks Vel the expert posted this in his original post:

With the Elephant rusher in a two-point stance and the strongside linebacker usually near the line of scrimmage as another capable pass rushing option, these defenses look like a 5-2 or 3-4 front.

It’s somewhat of a semantic argument because there will be four players in a two-point stance behind three down defensive linemen, but this front is more like a 4-3 than a 3-4 because of how the three linemen line up. The lineman to the inside of the Elephant rusher is aligned as a 3-technique, something that you won’t see in a base 3-4 set. This look is essentially a 4-3 Under with a standup defensive end.

Now maybe Vel can point out the four players in a two point stance and then explain why Jelly is in the 4T position instead of the 5T position that a 4-3 under calls for.

Look, I'm not going to argue with you. Not claiming to be an expert. But you don't even know the differences in 4-3 alignments. Your reading comp skills are deteriorating as well. This may help.

Many clueless mofos. A 3-4 features four LBs. There are only three in those pics.

They will often confuse the LEO with a LB. Usually based on who the guy is and how he plays the position. EVEN if the guy has his hands in the dirt. Cameron Wake had his hands in the dirt about as much as he stood up and many thought he was a LB. Why? Because he is listed as one.

Are you gonna explain the pic or just keep taking shots? Splain bro. You can't.

I just want to talk football. Calm down on the aggression and trying to talk down and I'll gladly talk football with you too.
MSalmon likes this

Are you gonna explain the pic or just keep taking shots? Splain bro. You can't.

The defense that Pete Carroll now employs uses the basic tenets of the Monte Kiffin 4-3 Under defense and mixes in a variation originally pioneered by the legendary George Seifert in San Francisco. Seifert wanted to create mismatches against the opposing offensive line so he started using his weakside defensive end to rove around and rush the passer from a two-point stance (standing up position). This was the beginning of the "Elephant" position and one that Carroll uses today. We also see this position called the LEO, and in the Hawks' defense can rush standing up or in a three-point stance.

Notice standing up or three-point stance. You're arguing semantics.

The defense that Pete Carroll now employs uses the basic tenets of the Monte Kiffin 4-3 Under defense and mixes in a variation originally pioneered by the legendary George Seifert in San Francisco. Seifert wanted to create mismatches against the opposing offensive line so he started using his weakside defensive end to rove around and rush the passer from a two-point stance (standing up position). This was the beginning of the "Elephant" position and one that Carroll uses today. We also see this position called the LEO, and in the Hawks' defense can rush standing up or in a three-point stance.

Notice standing up or three-point stance. You're arguing semantics.

Wait a minute you are the guy who posted a pic of the ATL defense compared to the SEA when the ATL defense had an end lined up in a 4T position. Maybe you should be the one explaining why it's the same alignment.

Wait a minute you are the guy who posted a pic of the ATL defense compared to the SEA when the ATL defense had an end lined up in a 4T position. Maybe you should be the one explaining why it's the same alignment.

Then why don't you go ahead and tell us what alignment we are in in that picture hot shot?

FF70, what are asking bro? Maybe I can help a little.

He seems to think our 4-3 under alignment isn't a 4-3 under because Jelly is lined up in the 4 tech instead of the 5.

Just semantics. Maybe if we actually had a 5 tech DT they would be lined up in the 5 tech position.

He seems to think our 4-3 under alignment isn't a 4-3 under because Jelly is lined up in the 4 tech instead of the 5.

Just semantics. Maybe if we actually had a 5 tech DT they would be lined up in the 5 tech position.

This is actually a good example of something I was explaining a year ago about football.

If I am running a system with my OLB's on the LOS on either side of my DE's and with a DT in the middle, am I effectively running a 3-4, or a 5-2?

In both the over and the under, you have freedom to move your interior linemen about as you see fit. One can say both the over and under are utility schemes and made to be form fitting to your team strengths and weaknesses and in the hopes of exploiting a chink in the opposing offensive line. :)

vel likes this

Ever think that maybe Jerry is lined up wrong because he sucks and that's why he won't be resigned?

And also, this was a still. He could've moved over before the snap. If not, I still think the most likely thing is that he lined up incorrectly.

MSalmon likes this