Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JC Falcon

Can Wilson Holdout Next Year?

44 posts in this topic

As a matter of fact, I was just reading the CBA, and it is especially harsh on these young fellas. It doesn't play AT ALL.

If a player with less than 3 accrued seasons fails to report to his team at least 30 days prior to the first regular season game, he loses the entire accrued season.

Wow. No playing with the young fellas in this CBA.

JC Falcon likes this

Isn't there a new fine for holding out anyway? Like $30k per day?

There is no fine in the CBA. If you don't show up at least 30 days prior, you lose the entire year of playing credit though.

With that term, they don't need any fines in there.

No. He would get no credit for time served toward his contract. He would however rack up a ton of fines.

Ok that sounds like a definitive answer that a season long holdout would not count as 3rd year under contract and not make him eligible to renegotiate his rookie deal. Can you refer to a source for this?

I don't know any CBA gurus or agents, but some of you might was why I wanted to know why this was impossible as opposed to just unlikely.

Ok that sounds like a definitive answer that a season long holdout would not count as 3rd year under contract and not make him eligible to renegotiate his rookie deal. Can you refer to a source for this?

I don't know any CBA gurus or agents, but some of you might was why I wanted to know why this was impossible as opposed to just unlikely.

Sure, the relevant clauses are at the top of page 28 and top of page 34.

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/General/2011_Final_CBA.pdf

JC Falcon likes this

In my opinion, no QB deserves a 100 million dollar contract.

It ends up making the team suffer in other areas every single time.

I'm not sure how this became a thing, media hype maybe?

Regardless, majority of the QBs that have gotten these contracts teams suffered AFTER they got paid.

As a matter of fact, I was just reading the CBA, and it is especially harsh on these young fellas. It doesn't play AT ALL.

If a player with less than 3 accrued seasons fails to report to his team at least 30 days prior to the first regular season game, he loses the entire accrued season.

Wow. No playing with the young fellas in this CBA.

Thank you Peyton for knowledge not just speculation. That provision is there to prevent exactly this situation. No report - no season credit = ineligible to renegotiate rookie contract.

I assumes there was some reason like this, but assuming and knowing are not the same.

In my opinion, no QB deserves a 100 million dollar contract.

It ends up making the team suffer in other areas every single time.

I'm not sure how this became a thing, media hype maybe?

Regardless, majority of the QBs that have gotten these contracts teams suffered AFTER they got paid.

The size of the contract is not the problem. It is the size + length that makes it a problem. Vick got a 100million dollar contract with us, but it was over 10 years. Now Qbs are getting 20per year contracts.

I think in the future teams we become more stingy or expect the QB to produce with less. Russell has shown that he can produce with less. The seahawks can pay him, while giving him "scrubs" like Baldwin, Tate, Kearse, etc as his targets. Their Oline was as bad as our in pass protection.

The problem for us is that we have been building this high power offense, so paying Matt Ryan 20 million makes it difficult to field a good enough defense while paying for all the other pieces( Julio, Roddy, TG, Baker, Blalock, etc).

Def sucks for the young guys. That's why I tell people take all the money you can when you can. No hometown discounts or anything. Business is business and it's strictly financial.

Def sucks for the young guys. That's why I tell people take all the money you can when you can. No hometown discounts or anything. Business is business and it's strictly financial.

The system is so much better now though. It was getting to the point that nobody wanted those top draft picks at all because they were having to make an unproven player one of the game's highest paid.

Yes, at least this Russell has proven he deserves serious money. How much is a debate for his agent, but he's proven he's not Jamarcus Russell.

I understand he cannot renegotiate his rookie deal until after the 2014 season. My question is would a holdout for the entire 2014 season count as the 3rd year under his contract, and make him eligible for renegotiation of is rookie deal for the 2015 season?

Whether he is a beneficiary or the creator of Seattle's success, he is going to get 10-15 times his current salary. Is it fair to require a guy to risk that much future income loss from a career ending injury next season? This is different from a college guy that still has to prove he can play in the NFL. Wilson has a ring and has proven he can play.

If he is not allowed to holdout for the season, does he come down with an IR injury?

It's an interesting scenario to me of implications of the rookie wage scale and people saying the way to build a team is draft a QB every 3 years. Guys and agents will figure out how to get rookies paid.

No. I believe you need to have 6 games to accrue a season in the NFL, injuries excepted of course.

No. I believe you need to have 6 games to accrue a season in the NFL, injuries excepted of course.

In the new CBA, if you don't show up 30 days prior to the first game, they can take away your whole season of credit.

What is there to prevent Paul Allen from paying him a large sum of money under the table ?

My guess would be turning him into a giant tax cheat would not be good for him.

They have to sign Sherman and Thomas this offseason which will cost them a lot. Probably Wilson the offseason after. He doesnt strike me as a greedy player so I dont think he will hold out, like you said, he is stuck under new CBA rules anyway.