Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JC Falcon

Can Wilson Holdout Next Year?

44 posts in this topic

So rookies cannot renegotiate their contracts until after their 3rd year, so RW has 1 more to go where he is massively underpaid.

Can a rookie or any player holdout on their contract with the new CBA to get past his 3rd year and then renegotiate? Why or why can't they?

He's already won the Super Bowl, and could end his career earning peanuts next year compared to what he is guaranteed to earn in his next contract, a loss worse than any college player.

Should his agent have him holdout or get a hangnail to IR next season?

Not saying RW would do this, or is greedy, but why shouldn't his agent suggest this? Oh and if he's holding out, that changes a playoff team the Falcons may face next year. TATF

I dont think hes massively underpaid. Yes he won the superbowl but how much of that was on him? He had 206 yards and 2 tds. Both those TDs came late in the 3rd and in the 4th (garbage time) when the hawks had that game well in hand and the broncos defense had already left the building. He didnt make any mistakes, but he def didnt play great.

I dont think hes massively underpaid. Yes he won the superbowl but how much of that was on him? He had 206 yards and 2 tds. Both those TDs came late in the 3rd and in the 4th (garbage time) when the hawks had that game well in hand and the broncos defense had already left the building. He didnt make any mistakes, but he def didnt play great.

He is only paid $526,000. In an open market he would get 7-10 million a year, so yes he is underpaid. That being said, he is still on his rookie contact and makes the slotted amount for his draft spot.

I see what your saying but to play a little devils advocate here Wilson had 380+ yards on us with like 70 yards rushing and they lost that one so it doesn't matter if the team doesn't play well.

But I'm not sure i'd be willing to give any of these young mobile QBs a 100 mil contract manly because Running is a big part of there game

Ryan had 4500 + yards and 26 TDs with a 67% completion that would be a huge year for any of these young guys like RG3 Wilson or Keap. Well it was a down year for Ryan I still think these young guys get to much credit.

Ryan can do that or better year in and year out i'm still trying to figure out how he did it with out Julio and Roddy(a healthy Roddy) for much of these past season oh and the 5 orange cones we had called OLmen.

Oh well its there problem not Atlanta but winning a Superbowl made there value go threw the roof remember Keap got there last year so that boosted his value to.

They'll be looking to get what ever Newton gets this off season. And I think Cam will get something Around 90-100 mil but you never know for some dumb reason the bears gave Cutler 120 mil so who knows

He is only paid $526,000. In an open market he would get 7-10 million a year, so yes he is underpaid. That being said, he is still on his rookie contact and makes the slotted amount for his draft spot.

Are you nuts he'd get a he11 of a lot more than 7-10 mil thats only starter money he's a top 10 guy I'd say it would start somewhere near 15 mil and go up from there.

Have to remember he's only what 24-25 future franchise type QBs are really hard to find so obviously teams will over pay to get him this is why a guy like Wilson will never hit Free agency.

He'll get paid and I'm sure said pay will include a corrective element. With the new CBA, a 2nd year holdout has zero leverage.

I though if they held out like Jimmy Graham and Greg Hardy could do they could end up facing huge fines and not be able to test free agency the next year if they held out the hole year(high unlikely)

Wilson is a double edged sword for the Hawks when it comes to $. He is cheap and plays well within the seahawks team, but a lot of the success that he has stems from his running game and defense. When it comes time for him to be paid, he may, however, get a little more credit than he deserves and get paid more than he might actually be entitled to because of his success. Luckily for the seahawks, they have already won a SB, so the bite of Wilson's future contract won't sting quite as bad... or the rest of the big contracts they will have to work out in the near future.

This is assuming that he stays in Seattle, though. There are other teams who may be willing to pay him more than the seahawks will or can.

Put it this way, when you look at most teams, the QB is the highest paid guy on the team. For Wilson, I dont think he should make in the top 5 highest players on that team.

I though if they held out like Jimmy Graham and Greg Hardy could do they could end up facing huge fines and not be able to test free agency the next year if they held out the hole year(high unlikely)

Graham and Hardy have 3 years of service, so a renegotiation is allowed. Wilson has only 2, thus forcing a new deal by holding out is impossible.

Graham and Hardy have 3 years of service, so a renegotiation is allowed. Wilson has only 2, thus forcing a new deal by holding out is impossible.

Nah I get that what I'm saying is I don't think theres any benfit of holding out anymore and in the long run could cost them a lot of money(fines) and they could turn around and be tagged at the same number the next year(I think with the new CBA if you take a guy back to back the number could allmost double)

Do not understand the love affair with this guy. He is a good but FAR from great quarterback. He made alot of mistakes against the Aints & 9ners but they still won the games because of that suffocating defense & Beast Mode. What he did was the same as what Dilfer & Johnson did when the Ravens & Bucs won SBs respectively. Joe Flacco did far more for the Ravens in helping them win last year than Wilson did.

T.Mays likes this

Wilson and Kapernick are going to cash in big time. I think it's hilarious because their fans don't quite grasp what signing a franchise QB to that second contract does to your roster. Guys like Avril and the DE from Tampa they signed will no longer be affordable. And that defense is not the same if you remove those 2 players..

I understand he cannot renegotiate his rookie deal until after the 2014 season. My question is would a holdout for the entire 2014 season count as the 3rd year under his contract, and make him eligible for renegotiation of is rookie deal for the 2015 season?

Whether he is a beneficiary or the creator of Seattle's success, he is going to get 10-15 times his current salary. Is it fair to require a guy to risk that much future income loss from a career ending injury next season? This is different from a college guy that still has to prove he can play in the NFL. Wilson has a ring and has proven he can play.

If he is not allowed to holdout for the season, does he come down with an IR injury?

It's an interesting scenario to me of implications of the rookie wage scale and people saying the way to build a team is draft a QB every 3 years. Guys and agents will figure out how to get rookies paid.

I understand he cannot renegotiate his rookie deal until after the 2014 season. My question is would a holdout for the entire 2014 season count as the 3rd year under his contract, and make him eligible for renegotiation of is rookie deal for the 2015 season?

Whether he is a beneficiary or the creator of Seattle's success, he is going to get 10-15 times his current salary. Is it fair to require a guy to risk that much future income loss from a career ending injury next season? This is different from a college guy that still has to prove he can play in the NFL. Wilson has a ring and has proven he can play.

If he is not allowed to holdout for the season, does he come down with an IR injury?

It's an interesting scenario to me of implications of the rookie wage scale and people saying the way to build a team is draft a QB every 3 years. Guys and agents will figure out how to get rookies paid.

We are really reaching here. Players can't and have no reason to hold out during an entire season to try and beat the system

HE IS UNDER PAID!!! It is just timing, a guy like Bradford or Safford can make 70 million and can't sniff at the SB but rake in cash but this kid helped his team to the SB and can't. What if he suffers serious injury next year (could happen in this injury prone NFL) and it will take away his negotiating power kinda like what may happen to Corey Peters. I think the Seahawks and the 49's should go ahead and pay those guys but probably won't since they don't have to. This new CBA is one to closely watch. Do you know that players like Truffant, Alford, Worrilow in two years just when they should hit their prime and the Falcons have put all that into them can go free agent???? What about if Truffant wants to go back out West? I don't know if the owners thought that one through. Really after next year we could snatch Wilson or Kap if AB wanted to fork over the cash. And Konz and Holmes we've had to go through their growing pains but what about if Tice gets them to turn on the light this year they still can go Free Agent. It is going to be very interesting.

Nah I get that what I'm saying is I don't think theres any benfit of holding out anymore and in the long run could cost them a lot of money(fines) and they could turn around and be tagged at the same number the next year(I think with the new CBA if you take a guy back to back the number could allmost double)

Under the new CBA, you can tag the first year at the avg of top 5 positional salaries or 120%, whichever is greater. The next tag comes at 120% of the previous season and the third at 144% of the previous season. That third season ends up being 173% of the original franchise tag.

No. He would get no credit for time served toward his contract. He would however rack up a ton of fines.

Giving up earning $600k next year to be sure you would get a $10-$20M per year contract with $5-$25M+ guaranteed money is not a reason?

Wilson has proven he can win a SB, is his season next year likely to significantly enhance his value v. a chance to blow it all? Back to back SBs are very rare.

It is possible for players to suffer a career ending injury under their rookie contract. Ask David Pollack and possibly Zeke Motta and Bradie Ewing.

Giving up earning $600k next year to be sure you would get a $10-$20M per year contract with $5-$25M+ guaranteed money is not a reason?

But that wouldn't work. He'd still be bound to the third year of the contract. All he'd do is lose a year of his life.