Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1989Fan

'89Fan Mock Offseason. Who, When & Why. Pull Up A Chair.

28 posts in this topic

Falcons Needs to begin offseason: DT, RG, OLB, DE, OT

Falcons Free Agents (re-sign):

Corey Peters, DT – has been good and progressing when on the field. Injuries have to be a hair worrisome. I would try and get him on a modest 2-3 year deal, so if he stays healthy he can still enter the market at a decent age for a long term deal. I am a believer that Peters can be even better if he can stay healthy, and has the size and strength we want inside.

Deal - 3 years, 15m, 5m guaranteed.

Jonathan Babinueax, DT – I personally would say bring back only one our DT's, and would prefer Peters over Babs. But TD has made it sound like Babineaux is the next player in line after White the team wants to get a new deal done for. At his age, a 3 year deal seems likely, making him expendable after year 1. Bringing Babs helps the rotation, and doesn't rush Peters back, letting him get 100%.

Deal – 3 years, 16m, 5m guaranteed

* We cannot go into UFA period with only 1 crap DT on the roster, since there is no guarantee we get who we want in free agency *

Joe Hawley, C – I think Hawley may have the upper hand at C, and wonder if they are leaning towards Konz being a better option at OG. In a perfect world, Hawley balls out at C and Konz can improve enough to unseat Blalock and cut a bloated salary. We shouldn't have to bid hard for his services.

Deal – 3 years, 8m, 2m guaranteed

Mike Johnson, RT/G – Johnson is a guy who has starter potential, but cannot be relied on at this point. Give him a year to try and earn a spot, and go from there. I still feel he could win the RG spot if healthy and thrown in the mix. I could see Johnson as a guy brought back after the draft.

Deal – 1 year, 1.5m, 0m guaranteed.

Robert McClain, CB – After a strong 2012, McClain started slowly in 2013. He did look better in the final quarter of the season. It may have been enough to keep his price in range for a NB. It would give the Falcons 3 good, young CB's to use moving forward.

Deal – 4 years, 14m, 5m guaranteed

Edit: I was wrong. McClain is a RFA, so i fully expect him to get a 2nd round tender vs a fair contract from TD. I believe it is around 2mm for the tender.

Drew Davis, WR - ERFA signing for WR5 and ST stud.

Chase Coffman, TE – A guy that I would keep on speed dial, but not sign prior to UFA and draft is settled.

Falcons Needs after player re-signings: DT, RG, OLB, DE, OT

Cuts:

Asante Samuel, CB – lost his starting job to 3 younger CBs, his days are over.

Savings - +5.25m

Stephen Nicholas, OLB – he is a good LB, and may make it to camps, but his savings could be valuable

Savings - +2m

Garrett Reynolds, OG – after losing his starting job yet again, I think we finally move on just to free up a roster spot. It is too bad; if they would have kept him at RT as a rookie he may have had a shot.

Savings - +1.3m

Jason Snelling, RB – I like Snelling, but the team made it clear they felt they could replace his play after his troubles. I think he is gone to free up cash and bring young legs to the rotation.

Savings - +1.75m

Potential late cuts:

Thomas DeCoud, FS – I would keep him until camps, unless we sign a top tier free agent safety to replace him

Matt Bryant, K – potential cap casualty. ATL had a good kicker in camps last season, cutting Bryant could save us $2.4m approx.

**Tony Gonzales, TE – at this point I would convince him to retire if he wasn't 100% sure to save the $7m

Falcons Needs after cuts/ retirement: DT, RG, OLB, DE, OT, TE, S, RB

Free Agent signings (pre-draft):

I am assuming Greg Hardy, Alex Mack, John Asamoah, Linval Joseph, Jared Valdheer, Jimmy Graham are retained by their current teams.

Randy Starks, DT, MIA – this guy is at the top of my 'realistic' UFA wish list. At 30, he still plays at a very high level, is a Nolan guy, and his intensity and attitude could do wonders for the line. He could easily make the rest of the line better. Due to his age, he would come at a good value as well. I would be very surprised if we didn't push for Starks with Nolan and Cox in the mix.

Deal – 4 years, 28m, 12m guaranteed

Michael Oher, OG/T, BAL – first, hear me out. I am on board with all who say Oher sucks as a tackle. Call me crazy, but a move inside may be perfect for him. He has trouble with outside rushers in space, and as a result also commits a lot of false starts. Move him inside to negate that, and let him use his bullish strength to stand up DT's. I have visions of Leonard Davis going from bust to All-Pro when he moved to OG for the Cowboys.

Deal – 3 years, 14m, 4m guaranteed

*Willie Colon, RG, NYJ (or someone similar) is an additional option to consider for a traditional RG, at a similar price point.

James Anderson, OLB, CHI – I think we need to bring in competition at the SLB spot. Bartu is good, but I feel better with him being the backup plan for Spoon at the WLB spot. Anderson made the transition to CHI, and put together another good season with 102 tackles (85 solo) a career high 4 sacks, and 4 pd's. A solid 'b level' free agent, will come in to fight for a starting role.

Deal - 2 years, 9m, 2m guaranteed

Needs after phase 1 of UFA period: DE, OT, TE, S, RB

Trade: this trade would be made after we are unable to move up for Clowney at a reasonable price

ATL receives: Jabaal Sheard, DE

CLE receives: ATL round 4 and 6 picks

Word is CLE does not think Sheard fits the defense moving forward. He was a 3rd round pick, so it would be safe to assume the price would be lower than a round 3 grab. TD feels these picks are expendable due to potential round 4 and 7 comp picks.

Needs after trade : OT, TE, S, RB

NFL Draft:

First, my guess on picks 1-5 of the draft.

1. Houston – Bortles, QB, C. Florida
  2. Cleveland (from STL) – Manziel, QB, Texas A&M (trades #4 & #35 picks to STL for #2)
  3. Jacksonville – Clowney, DE, S. Carolina
  4. St. Louis – Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
  5. Oakland – Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
  6. St. Louis (from ATL) – Watkins, WR, Clemson

In trade:

ATL receives: round 1, pick 13 & round 2, pick 35 (via CLE) – 1,150 + 550 = 1,700 pts.

STL receives: round 1, pick 6 – 1,600 pts.

Round 1 (#13) – Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan – TD was complimentary of Lewan in interviews at the Senior Bowl. He fits the mold of a mauler with an attitude. He is a day 1 RT in a power-man scheme, and has the potential to replace Baker at LT if neither he nor Holmes works out long term. TD likes seniors, and generally does not us a top pick on an underclassman, just for all who will reply with Greg Robinson at 6.

Round 2 (#35) – Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville – rangy FS with size, can potentially make DeCoud a cap casualty at camps. Pryor could be an instant impact paired with our great, young CBs and (hopefully) improved pass rush.

Round 2 (#37) – Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington – provides a good 'move' TE to accompany Toilolo who the staff sees as a 'line' blocking TE.

Round 3 (#68) – DaQuan Jones, DT, Penn State – provides a big body to rotate with Starks and provide good run stuffing. He could rise above this pick eventually as he continues to impress. I want size with the ability to push the pocket into the QB. Future starter potential with Jones.

Round 4 (#99) – *traded to Cleveland for DE Jabaal Sheard*

Round 4 (comp.) – Devonta Freeman, RB, Florida St – gives us a change of pace back. Is one of the top rated C.o.P backs coming out, and fits in Koetter's scheme.

Round 5 (#135)– Zack Kerr, DT, Deleware – another big body to try and get girth and strength on the line. He and Jones give us two potential starters on the OL in future years.

Round 6 – *traded to Cleveland for DE Jabaal Sheard*

Round 7 – Prince Shembo, OLB, Notre Dame – a pass rushing OLB at ND, he could be a good ST performer, and have a role as a blitzing LB early.

Round 7 (comp.) – Bennett Jackson, CB, Notre Dame – provides NB depth and ST play to compete with UDFA's and returning PS players.

Depth chart (O & D) after first round of UFA and NFL Draft:

QB – Ryan, Davis, Renfree, Doedge

RB – Jackson, Rodgers, Freeman (4), Smith

FB – Ewing, DiMarco

WR – White, Jones, Douglas, Johnson, Cone/Davis

TE – Toilolo, Seferian-Jenkins (2), add UDFA or UFA

LT – Baker, Holmes

LG – Blalock, Gunn

OC – Konz, Hawley (I don't think TD is ready to call it quits on Konz)

RG – Oher (or Colon, Jerry), Johnson

RT – Lewan(1), Schraeder, Johnson

RE – Umenyiora, Massaquoi, Maponga (keep 5 DE's)

DT – Peters, Babinueax, Replogle (keep 4 or 5 DT's)

NT – Starks, Jones(3), Kerr (5)

LE – Sheard, Goodman, Biermann

WLB – Weatherspoon, Bartu

MLB – Worrilow, Dent

SLB – Anderson, Biermann, Shembo (7)

CB – Trufant, McClain

CB – Alford, Jackson (7), UFA or UDFA

FS – DeCoud, Pryor (2), Ishmael

SS – Moore, Motta

Remaining holes and tweaks can be taken care of through B and C level free agents, cap cuts and UDFA players.

While I think we willbe active in FA, I think it will be calculated. The team wont press the ceiling of the cap, knowing it has to pay Julio and possibly Weatherspoon.

Feel free to like it or be critical, just give some insight so you don't look dumb and be respectful.

This is likely my only mock until after the free agent period and combines, if I do another. Thanks for reading!

Another thing I have been thinking, is I could see ATL bringing in someone like Clemons for a 1-2 year deal if SEA releases him. Not sure he is an upgrade over Osi, but I dont feel Osi has much to offer anymore. I could see him being passed by one of our 3 young DE's to be honest.

Good attempt but leaves much to desire. I'm willing to bet a months salary that we will sign at least one marquee FA. TD has to make a good impression on Blank and the fans and signing a bunch of mid tier guys is not gonna cut it. Hardy, johnson, Mack, Bryd one of these will be in a Falcons uniform next year. Would be very disappointed if we resigned both DTs. I'm a fan of both but the theme coming out of the branch is girth, toughness, and nastiness neither really have those qualities and Starks is similar in size to them. We don't have to give McClain a 4 year deal he is a RFA which means a 2nd Rd tender. Time to part ways with the oft injured Mike Johnson. It makes no sense for ST.Louis to trade back then trade up Watkins may be a reach at 2 but many draft sites have him as the #2 prospect. There's nothing I like about your draft outside of Jones which may be a round too early

I would be extremely displeased if we signed Oher on the sheer idea that he could potentially start inside, and not draft a TRUE guard in the 2nd round. Also, with the cuts, Atlanta could sign a Star Free Agent such as Hardy or Byrd. No sense in trading away picks for the Cleveland DE, or drafting a Safety in the 2nd when there are much more obvious needs in the trenches.

I like it a lot overall.

I think we might make a bigger splash than Oher on the OL. My concern with Oher inside is his height. He's what 6'5? Gotta play with leverage inside. I'd rather sign a proven guard for a bit more money.

I like Joseph over Starks but Starks would make a lot of sense given his history with Nolan.

I really like the James anderson signing. There's always a low/midtier fa signing that makes a big impact on some team. I like his potential to be able to do that.

I would be about Sheard if we got him for that price. He's easily better than anything we have. Paired with Osi that could make a nice pass rushing tandem for a year or two.

I'm iffy on Lewan as a LT in the NFL but as you said he'd be a day 1 RT mauler and we do have Baker....For the 3 games that's worth.

Pryor. Yes.

http://youtu.be/zDEEAUMJ0oo

Much as it pains me to admit King turned me onto Sefarian-Jenkins (we've actually been cool since our initial meeting lmao) I love this pick. Reminds me a little of Tony G.

Daquan Jones. We need another biggie to groom and he's as good a prospect as any in the 3rd.

Freeman i think can be a 3 down RB at the NFL level. His first step is very hot. Great explosiveness in his cuts and breaks. Finishes his runs. Always north/south. I like Seastrunk the most but wouldn't be upset at Freeman.

Like the Kerr pick. It's been going around the boards for good reason.

The last 2 picks i'm not gonna comment cause i dont know enough about the prospect.

The only thing that bugs me is the Oher deal. Just not convinced he can play inside

Thanks for the replies fellas. I completely understand the Oher concerns, and i share some of them. It is just one of those gut feeling things that i could see him being great at guard.

But my concerns there are the same reason I listed Colon and Jerry as other options at the position. I really think Colon could be the target by TD honestly.

In regards to big time free agents. I like Asamoah for RG but think KC keeps him, same w Mack in CLE. Seldom that these franchise type players hit UFA, remember that.

Would that OL be strong enough to get us to the SB?

If Baker can stay off the cart, yes i think it is.

In regards to Lewan, TD has sang some high praises of Lewan, and he fits the mold of a bruiser that he and Tice want on the line. Its time to stop recruiting at church functions!

Thanks for the heads up on Mcclain, i was wrong there. I had it in my mind he was a RFA last season and UFA this. Good catch

I typically do not rate mocks for who was acquired and how, as we all are basically from the same few names at obvious positions.

But I do give you an A freaking plus for realism and logic. Reasonable minds can differ about whether Peters should be brought back with his injury or what direction we should go with our first rounder. But your trades seem "possible", you contracts are decent ( although a bit rich for Peters IMO) and your picks are all fairly consistent with the projections we've been seeing ( although I'm not sure ASF will be around that long, he reasonably could be)

Good job, my msn

In regards to big time free agents. I like Asamoah for RG but think KC keeps him, same w Mack in CLE. Seldom that these franchise type players hit UFA, remember that.

Asamoah is not a franchise type player. He got benched this year for Geoff Schwartz, remember that.

Asamoah is not a franchise type player. He got benched this year for Geoff Schwartz, remember that.

Good info, for some reason i thought that was an injury thing. KC will keep the RG they want out of those two, and i am not sure we go after the leftovers. Good info. I will never claim to know it all, lol.

Good info, for some reason i thought that was an injury thing. KC will keep the RG they want out of those two, and i am not sure we go after the leftovers. Good info. I will never claim to know it all, lol.

I was just messing with you bud. Yeah he had to come out of the game for some reason and the stuck Schwartz in who played even better so they just left him. Both are FAs so KC will likely resign their starter and let Asamoah test the market.

Yea Asamoah should be available for the reason Jigsaw said. He got injured then Schwartz took over. One of them will definitely be available.

John Jerry has consistently graded out as one of the worst Gs in all of football and struggles to stay in shape.

Also, this TD has never used a top pick on underclassmen nonsense is just that.

2008 was a senior

2009 was a senior

2010 was a senior

2011 was Julio Jones - a junior

2012 was Peter Konz - a junior

2013 was Trufant, a senior.

so 2/6 were juniors. where 4 were seniors.

safe to say it doesn't matter if the guy is an underclassman.

Quite seriously is no one concerned with Lewan's off field stuff

I'm not concerned because I know he's not going to be on the board when they research it.

TD on Taylor Lewan:

Taylor Lewan (6-8, 315), offensive tackle, Michigan: "He’s a tough, tough dude with a lot of upside. He’s a very technique-sound guy as well. Has the ability to play both sides."

The staff wants someone nasty for the line, and I dont like the value at 6 for us if the draft goes down that way 1-5. Lewan just seems like the kind of guy the staff has said they want on the line.

Fifth-Year Senior (2013) ... First-Team All-American by Sporting News ... Second-Team All-American by Walter Camp, Associated Press, CBSSports.com and SI.com ... Big Ten Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year ... All-Big Ten first team (coaches and media) ... semifinalist for Rotary Lombardi Award ... Sporting News All-Big Ten Team ... Athlon Sports All-Big Ten Team ... Hugh R. Rader Memorial Award (given to U-M's top offensive lineman) ... First-Team Preseason All-American by ESPN.com, CBSSports.com, SI.com and Sporting News ... started all 13 games at left tackle.

Scar:

Looking at the round 1 picks, you are right. I dont know why I thought Jones was a senior. He was a special talent though. So, 5 of 6 round 1 picks were seniors. I feel it is safe to say unless it is to get Clowney, there isnt a Julio Jones type of undersclassman talent in this draft.

TD's first round picks:

Seniors: Ryan, Baker, Jerry, Weatherspoon, Trufant

Juniors: Jones

My iPad once again dropped the web browser as I was about to post a comprehensive reply. *************.

Jabaal Sheard is a free agent. If we want him we will sign him the trade makes no sense.

JAX won't pass on Teddy, their owners said on Friday they will be taking a QB. Would be amazing for us if a Browns trade up for Manziel, JAX take Teddy or Bortles or Carr, then Browns trade down from #4 to our pick at #6 so we can jump Oakland for Clowney. What can we offer St Louis? FS Thomas DeCoud or if we aren't going to pay Spoon and love Bartu & Worrilow -- we can use Spoon maybe. I would be willing to give our 2015 #1 pick if the Rams included TE Jared Cook who by seasons end was losing snaps to Lance Kendricks.

I'd be pissed if we used our FA money on bringing back stinky Peters. Bringing back Babs makes sense but only on a small deal. If he won't take it he can go elsewhere and we sign 2 new DTs -- an expensive one in his prime like BJ Raji or Lamarr Houston or Henry Melton, and a cheaper get who will be an effective starter like Randy Starks or Michael Bennett or Arthur Jones.

Konz will never play OG again. He was pathetic there. Center or -- more likely -- bust. #SignAlexMack

TD on Taylor Lewan:

Taylor Lewan (6-8, 315), offensive tackle, Michigan: "He’s a tough, tough dude with a lot of upside. He’s a very technique-sound guy as well. Has the ability to play both sides."

The staff wants someone nasty for the line, and I dont like the value at 6 for us if the draft goes down that way 1-5. Lewan just seems like the kind of guy the staff has said they want on the line.

Fifth-Year Senior (2013) ... First-Team All-American by Sporting News ... Second-Team All-American by Walter Camp, Associated Press, CBSSports.com and SI.com ... Big Ten Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year ... All-Big Ten first team (coaches and media) ... semifinalist for Rotary Lombardi Award ... Sporting News All-Big Ten Team ... Athlon Sports All-Big Ten Team ... Hugh R. Rader Memorial Award (given to U-M's top offensive lineman) ... First-Team Preseason All-American by ESPN.com, CBSSports.com, SI.com and Sporting News ... started all 13 games at left tackle.

Scar:

Looking at the round 1 picks, you are right. I dont know why I thought Jones was a senior. He was a special talent though. So, 5 of 6 round 1 picks were seniors. I feel it is safe to say unless it is to get Clowney, there isnt a Julio Jones type of undersclassman talent in this draft.

TD's first round picks:

Seniors: Ryan, Baker, Jerry, Weatherspoon, Trufant

Juniors: Jones

and that's fine that he says that about Lewan. But he's still not worth a top 15 pick. ****, I don't think he's got the talent of a 3rd round pick right now. he showed 1st round talent as a junior though. And he's got multiple arrests that will come to light in the process for assault. He's likely completely off the Falcons board.

kane#7 likes this

My iPad once again dropped the web browser as I was about to post a comprehensive reply. *************.

Jabaal Sheard is a free agent. If we want him we will sign him the trade makes no sense.

JAX won't pass on Teddy, their owners said on Friday they will be taking a QB. Would be amazing for us if a Browns trade up for Manziel, JAX take Teddy or Bortles or Carr, then Browns trade down from #4 to our pick at #6 so we can jump Oakland for Clowney. What can we offer St Louis? FS Thomas DeCoud or if we aren't going to pay Spoon and love Bartu & Worrilow -- we can use Spoon maybe. I would be willing to give our 2015 #1 pick if the Rams included TE Jared Cook who by seasons end was losing snaps to Lance Kendricks.

I'd be pissed if we used our FA money on bringing back stinky Peters. Bringing back Babs makes sense but only on a small deal. If he won't take it he can go elsewhere and we sign 2 new DTs -- an expensive one in his prime like BJ Raji or Lamarr Houston or Henry Melton, and a cheaper get who will be an effective starter like Randy Starks or Michael Bennett or Arthur Jones.

Konz will never play OG again. He was pathetic there. Center or -- more likely -- bust. #SignAlexMack

Not sure where you got Sheard being a Free Agent.

http://espn.go.com/b...e/jabaal-sheard

Kahn (JAX) said they will take a QB,or two. He didnt say they will take one at #3. This is far from an amazing QB class. I have read scouts see Bridgewater as a guy who does alot of good, but nothing great that stands out. There is a chance they could take Teddy over Clowney out of desperation, but I doubt it. I really wish they would. If he fell to 4 I would be on the phone asap. (with STL in my scenerio)

I would rather have Peters than pay big bucks to Raji. That guy is way overrated around here, not sure why.

I dont think the team is not giving up on Konz....also i have him at center on my depth chart. so not sure of the point of this reply. Unless it is in regards to mesaying it would be nice if Hawley could become a starting center and konz bump off Blalock to save cap space?

Mack wants to stay in CLE and claims he will give them the chance to match any offer he gets.

I know you spent a ton of time on this. And I agree that we REALLY need to bolster the defense, especially in the middle. I've been screaming about the lack of high round picks on defense for years. Especially at DT.

But this plan is WAY too defense heavy. If you think TD is gonna risk Ryan taking the same punishment for another year that he did this year, you're nuts. AB would have his head on a platter.

If the defense can simply be tuned to stop the run, and we get an upgrade to Decoud, they will be a middle tier or better defense with Nolan at the helm. The first step to that is a couple very good DTs, at least ONE of which needs to be BIG, and another needs to be a younger gap penetrator like Babs. That alone will shore the defense. The young LBs an CBs will only get better.

But we are completely wasting the final years of Roddy's career (and already wasted TG's), and losing the PRIME years of Ryan and JJ's career because of this abomination we call an OL. It has to be addressed with veterans that can instantly start. The only veteran change you made to the OL is Oher, who would certainly be an improvement but doesn't have the nasty mentality we need to transform this group. They did a whole movie on it, remember? On the OL we need a skilled veteran leader with a mean streak first. We can't afford projects on the OLine. And anyone outside of the top 5 picks is a project by definition. Even very high OT picks can take 2-3 years to develop. Same with Centers.

This is how it should be addressed, in order of importance:

FA - C/OG, NT, OT, FS

Draft - DT, OG, DE, OT

1989Fan and me@MyHouse like this