Bryan Cox: Falcons Will Make Opposing Quarterbacks Panic

OC

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/24/bryan-cox-falcons-will-make-opposing-quarterbacks-panic/

As an NFL linebacker, Bryan Cox hit quite a few quarterbacks. Now that he’s the Falcons’ defensive line coach, Cox says his players are going to hit quarterbacks — and to make them think about getting hit.

Cox told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that getting inside the opposing quarterback’s head is a big part of his defensive philosophy.

“If you can make the quarterback move his feet and get him off the spot, a lot of times that creates errant throws and that creates interceptions, turnovers and panic,” Cox said. “So, I would agree that sacks are not necessarily always the thing you strive for. I think the biggest thing is that you want to affect the quarterback. You want to make him know and understand and feel that you’re are around at all times.”

Cox, who spent the last two seasons as an assistant in Tampa Bay, is heading to an Atlanta team that was tied for 29th in the league in sacks last year. The Falcons didn’t make many quarterbacks panic last season. Cox’s job is to change that.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

“If you can make the quarterback move his feet and get him off the spot, a lot of times that creates errant throws" Cox said. “So, I would agree that sacks are not necessarily always the thing you strive for. I think the biggest thing is that you want to affect the quarterback.

I am very hopeful for this hire, but isn't this what Mike Smith always says and gets killed for?

I am very hopeful for this hire, but isn't this what Mike Smith always says and gets killed for?

Yeah, but only because people don't understand what Smith is saying. Smith wants constant pressure on a QB rather than an occasional sack. Couple of years ago, Cowboys played the Eagles and Ware got 4 sacks. Boys still got blown out cause, if Ware didn't get there, the QB had all day to throw.

Yeah, but only because people don't understand what Smith is saying. Smith wants constant pressure on a QB rather than an occasional sack. Couple of years ago, Cowboys played the Eagles and Ware got 4 sacks. Boys still got blown out cause, if Ware didn't get there, the QB had all day to throw.

Sacks are still overrated huh? SMH.

Keep taking that out of context

Yes they are. And, if the DE is ignoring his run responsibilities to get those sacks, esp. so.

Sacks are still overrated huh? SMH.

Yes, they are.

Example:

Would you rather have a sack or force the qb to scramble, forcing a bad throw and resulting in an INT?

Would you rather have a sack or force the qb out of the pocket where someone comes from behind and strips the ball resulting in a recovered fumble?

That's just 2 scenarios off the top of my head that are better results than a sack...

http://profootballta...terbacks-panic/

As an NFL linebacker, Bryan Cox hit quite a few quarterbacks. Now that he’s the Falcons’ defensive line coach, Cox says his players are going to hit quarterbacks — and to make them think about getting hit.

Cox told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that getting inside the opposing quarterback’s head is a big part of his defensive philosophy.

“If you can make the quarterback move his feet and get him off the spot, a lot of times that creates errant throws and that creates interceptions, turnovers and panic,” Cox said. “So, I would agree that sacks are not necessarily always the thing you strive for. I think the biggest thing is that you want to affect the quarterback. You want to make him know and understand and feel that you’re are around at all times.”

Cox, who spent the last two seasons as an assistant in Tampa Bay, is heading to an Atlanta team that was tied for 29th in the league in sacks last year. The Falcons didn’t make many quarterbacks panic last season. Cox’s job is to change that.

Tell them to get there hands up to swat at the ball, which is something you rarely see from our DL.

Yes, they are.

Example:

Would you rather have a sack or force the qb to scramble, forcing a bad throw and resulting in an INT?

Would you rather have a sack or force the qb out of the pocket where someone comes from behind and strips the ball resulting in a recovered fumble?

That's just 2 scenarios off the top of my head that are better results than a sack...

That doesn't mean they're overrated...a turnover has always been rated higher than a sack. Imagine comparing a DB with 20 INTs to a DE with 20 sacks...

As far as the topic of sacks v. pressure, you want both. If a QB back can elude pressure all day, it doesn't matter that you're pressuring him. You want him to avoid the pressure with errant throws...not flailing at him as he side steps your blind tackle for a 20 yard seam throw on 3rd and 18(sound familiar?). To get the errant throws, you have to hit him, or have a history of hitting QBs consistently. That's where the panic from pressure comes from. If you getting pressure and he's making highlight plays with his pocket presence, you're just gonna help his confidence.

That doesn't mean they're overrated...a turnover has always been rated higher than a sack. Imagine comparing a DB with 20 INTs to a DE with 20 sacks...

As far as the topic of sacks v. pressure, you want both. If a QB back can elude pressure all day, it doesn't matter that you're pressuring him. You want him to avoid the pressure with errant throws...not flailing at him as he side steps your blind tackle for a 20 yard seam throw on 3rd and 18(sound familiar?). To get the errant throws, you have to hit him, or have a history of hitting QBs consistently. That's where the panic from pressure comes from. If you getting pressure and he's making highlight plays with his pocket presence, you're just gonna help his confidence.

When I say overrated, I mean as being the end all be all. Yes, you want both and if you get constant pressure, you'll get both, I think that's more the point that Cox and others are making...