Senior Bowl Players Give Strong Endorsement Of Cox, Tice

Falcons defensive line coach Bryan Cox was taking the Senior Bowl linemen through some drills before the start of practice Wednesday in Mobile, Ala., and just off the sideline was Pittsburgh head coach Mike Tomlin, getting a close look at the prospects.

He couldn’t help but be distracted, however, as Cox reeled off one-liner after one-liner, making his players — and Tomlin — chuckle on several occasions.

In nearly the same breath, however, Cox would turn into a strong disciplinarian, working to correct mistakes with little sugar coating at all. That’s his coaching style, and it’s working.

PHOTOS: See Images from Day 3 at the Senior Bowl

“It’s a different coaching style,” Minnesota defensive tackle Ra’shede Hageman said Wednesday. “Just the fact that he’s played in the NFL and he knows what to look for, it’s really cool just to have a coach that has that experience, so you definitely want to lock in more because you want to learn so much more from a veteran that played in the league.

“He wants you to do good, so I feel like me and him have that love-hate relationship. Sometimes I do good, sometimes he yells at me because I’m not doing things right, but at the end of the day, me and him definitely want the best for me. That’s why he’s a good coach.”

Falcons players have yet to get this kind of perspective on Cox and new offensive line coach Mike Tice, but in just a few days in Mobile working with college’s top seniors, the two have earned a whole pile of respect from the players under them.

Tice, of course, brings the reputation of being a top position coach, as well as his experience as a head coach and coordinator. Those resume items have impressed the young players, but the knowledge they’ve been able to pass along has been valuable to them.

“I’ve been watching him for a long time and he’s a good coach,” Clemson offensive tackle Brandon Thomas said. “He’s a different guy than my past coaches and I expected that. It’s a great experience. He’s taught me a lot and I look forward to it the rest of the week.”

Thomas said that Tice got on him immediately about his splits — that is, the amount of space between him and the guard next to him — and it’s something that has stuck with Thomas all through practice. Thomas has also picked up tidbits about his stance and backside blocking from Tice, and he’s excited to apply those new skills to the game Saturday.

On the defensive side of things, Cox has also been imparting important knowledge to his players, but the biggest thing has been discipline. When his defensive linemen make a mistake, they get up-downs and plenty of them. They also get an earful, but at the end of the day, it’s all respect.

“I love him to death. He’s not just a great coach, he’s a great person,” Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald said. “He don’t take no slack. He don’t take no BS, and that’s the type of coach I like that’ll get on you if he sees any little slacking. He’ll get on you about it.”

Guest Negatorris

We need to draft Donald and Hageman. They already seem to be responding well to Cox, and they have been showing out during Senior Bowl practice while under him.

It sounds great, but part of me wonders if someone is just blowing smoke up our azz. We just hired these 2 new coaches, and the perfect puff piece for us right now would be an article about how much respect they are gaining from the players.

What journalist wrote this, and how does that journalist really know the level of respect that is building between players and coaches? Our journalists don't usually have any real "inside scoop." They usually ask softball questions and regurgitate obvious facts. Who's bringing this inside insight all of a sudden?

The college players want to be drafted as high as possible. They'll of course say this kind of stuff when prompted.

Tice and Cox might be great coaches or they might not. Time will tell. We thought we had great coaches before, and our lines were pathetic. I hate to be such a cynic, but I hate to be led down a garden path like a fool even more.

Is there anything real behind this article, or is someone just blowing smoke up our azz?

It sounds great, but part of me wonders if someone is just blowing smoke up our azz. We just hired these 2 new coaches, and the perfect puff piece for us right now would be an article about how much respect they are gaining from the players.

What journalist wrote this, and how does that journalist really know the level of respect that is building between players and coaches? Our journalists don't usually have any real "inside scoop." They usually ask softball questions and regurgitate obvious facts. Who's bringing this inside insight all of a sudden?

The college players want to be drafted as high as possible. They'll of course say this kind of stuff when prompted.

Tice and Cox might be great coaches or they might not. Time will tell. We thought we had great coaches before, and our lines were pathetic. I hate to be such a cynic, but I hate to be led down a garden path like a fool even more.

Is there anything real behind this article, or is someone just blowing smoke up our azz?

Jay Adams wrote this piece

so I guess its how much faith you put in his objectivity as a reporter

Jay Adams wrote this piece

so I guess its how much faith you put in his objectivity as a reporter

Well, Jay does a good job, but his job is not really to be objective ... it's to promote the Falcons. And he's doing a good job of it with this piece. But sadly, it strengthens the case that this is really just a puff piece.