Scott Pioli Joins Falcons Staff!

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow ! 1st Nolan and now Pioli ? On the surface they seem to be one thing.

But looking at it a little deeper, perhaps they could be plan B fall backs unsure.png just in case. rolleyes.gif

Smooth move nonetheless !

Apparently Arthur Blank's leaving nothing to chance with so much on the line here. I hope this all works out.

Seattle leap frogged over us and that's got to hurt him privately.

Pioli was terrible in KC but I think him and TD might work.

I agree with the first part, at least.

I don't know. I'm trying to figure out why everyone is flipping out as if Pioli is going to become the real power in the front office because of this.

Thank you!!!! Pioli's track record isn't exactly great, outside of New England. Dude was awful in KC. I understand the excitement because it's a big name hire and bringing in someone new, but let's temper our expectations a bit. This guy isn't the second coming.

He drafted Brandon Albert (1st), Brandon Flowers (2nd), Jamaal Charles (3rd), Brandon Carr (5th) in one year followed by a few more notable players.

Those were all Herm Edwards and Carl Peterson guys, not Scott Pioli. Glenn Dorsey was also a Herm and Carl guy.

Eric Berry (1st), Dontari Poe (1st), Dexter McCullester (2nd too high but solid player), Javier Arenas (3rd), Jon Asamoah (3rd, that guy everyone wants right, KC connection?), Justin Houston (3rd), Ryan Succop (7th).

Berry, Houston and Poe were good picks by Pioli. The rest were average at best. He also traded Tony Gonzalez for a 2nd round pick that turned into Javier Arenas, an average returner and below average DB, and the Chiefs have been looking for a TE ever since.

He traded a 2nd round pick for Matt Cassel, at the time a good idea to take a shot on the guy, but then he NEVER tried to find a replacement when Cassel wasn't working out. He lived and died with Matt Cassel as the ship went down.

He was a tyrant to the media that covered the team, unless it's Peter King. Peter King is the only media guy Pioli will speak to because King won't challenge him on anything. He tortured his staff because of a candy wrapper in the stair well. His first head coach, Todd Haley, couldn't stand him and while that may just be the coach being a psychopath, it's Pioli that hired the guy in the first place. The situation was so toxic that only Romeo Crennel would take the head coaching job, and that resulted in a a disastrous 2-14 season. You all saw what happened when Andy Reid walked into town with most of the same roster and turned it into 11-5.

The fans gathered their own money to pay to fly banners over the stadium telling the owner to fire Pioli and get rid of Cassel. That group sold t-shirts to fans as an open revolt against the management of the team.

Be afraid of Pioli, especially if he ends up being GM someday.

TL;DR A majority of the best players on the roster were brought in by the previous GM, his coaching hires were a disaster, the media hated him and the fans openly revolted against Pioli. Be careful with your enthusiasm.

Edited by richard cheese in kc

Preceding Pioli, exiting KC Chiefs GM - Carl Peterson loaded up in the 2008 NFL Draft even while not hitting on Glenn Dorsey.

2008 KC Chiefs Draft:

1-005) Glenn Dorsey, DT-LSU (now at SF and prospering as a NT in 3-4 - was 3-4 DE in KC)

1-015) Branden Albert, LT-Virginia (UFA, very good LT)

2-035) Brandon Flowers, CB-Virginia Tech (good corner)

3-073) Jamal Charles, RB-Texas (great RB - all-pro superstar)

5-140) Brandon Carr, CB-Grand Valley State (now with Dallas, pro-bowl corner)

Pioli's drafts were just OK......not great or close to great from 2009-2012: 2012 - KANSAS CITY CHIEFS RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 11 Dontari Poe NT Memphis 2 44 Jeff Allen T Illinois 3 74 Donald Stephenson T Oklahoma 4 107 Devon Wylie WR Fresno State 5 146 DeQuan Menzie CB Alabama 6 182 Cyrus Gray RB Texas A&M 7 218 Jerome Long DT San Diego State 7 238 Junior Hemingway WR Michigan 2011 - KANSAS CITY CHIEFS RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 26 Jonathan Baldwin WR Pittsburgh 2 55 Rodney Hudson C Florida State 3 70 Justin Houston LB Georgia 3 86 Allen Bailey DE Miami (Fla.) 4 118 Jalil Brown DB Colorado 5 135 Ricky Stanzi QB Iowa 5 140 Gabe Miller LB Oregon State 6 199 Jerrell Powe NT Mississippi 7 223 Shane Bannon FB Yale 2010 - KANSAS CITY CHIEFS RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 5 Eric Berry SS Tennessee 2 36 Dexter McCluster WR Mississippi 2 50 Javier Arenas DB Alabama 3 68 Jon Asamoah G Illinois 3 93 Tony Moeaki TE Iowa 4 142 Cameron Sheffield LB Troy 5 136 Kendrick Lewis FS Mississippi 2009 - KANSAS CITY CHIEFS RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 3 Tyson Jackson DE Louisiana State 3 67 Alex Magee DT Purdue 4 102 Donald Washington DB Ohio State 5 139 Colin Brown T Missouri 6 175 Quinten Lawrence WR McNeese State 7 212 Javarris Williams RB Tennessee State 7 237 Jake O'Connell TE Miami (Ohio) 7 256 Ryan Succop K South Carolina

Very Solid Hire.....

He helped build that defense in Kansas City and he's an excellent evaulator of talent (Defense)

Helped build the defense?

Tyson Jackson, Dontari Poe, Justin Houston and Eric Berry. Those are the defensive players he brought in. Jackson is mediocre. Poe didn't take the leap he did until he was in a different defense. Berry was the #5 overall pick. Houston is his one shining grace. Every other starter on that defense was brought in by Carl Peterson or John Dorsey.

When you lose so many quality personnel guys over the past few years, plus have a crucial offseason, this is a no-brainer.

His perspective from the outside looking in will be valuable. Also, how many KC players did he draft? Was Asamoah one? Brandon Albert?

+1

You nailed the key point. Our talent evaluators have been pirated right and left. They have basically said they "missed the call" when evaluating the OL talent to keep. This is all about talent evaluation. The only real blemish on Pioli is his infatuation with Cassell. Once the Cheifs addressed that, the rest of the talent (especially the defensive front) was solid.

I really like this move.

Tyson Jackson, Dontari Poe, Justin Houston and Eric Berry. Those are the defensive players he brought in. Jackson is mediocre. Poe didn't take the leap he did until he was in a different defense. Berry was the #5 overall pick. Houston is his one shining grace. Every other starter on that defense was brought in by Carl Peterson or John Dorsey.

Poe was a rookie last year. Who's to say it was the scheme and not just Poe developing and getting used to the NFL??

I am a huge Chiefs fan and I can tell you right now that Pioli is a terrible person. The only reason he is working in Atlanta is because Dimitrov owed him for showing him the ropes in New England.

Don't you think it's strange Pioli couldn't get an interview for one of the open GM positions? There is a reason for this. The dude is a psychopathic control freak. He ran the Chiefs into the ground. He eavesdropped on phone calls and ruined careers. Not just the players and coaches but the regular employees too. The fans took matters into their own hands and didn't stop until he was fired. Just google "Save our Chiefs."

YOU DO NOT WANT HIS GUY. HE IS BAD NEWS.

You have no idea the depths this guy has sunk to. I honestly can't believe what I am reading here.

Edited by BlackBob

mccluster, asomoah, moeaki, lewis, succop, allen, stephenson, hudson were all serviceable players/starters as well. not every pick is going to blossom in to a star. 4 of those guys started a lot of games for the oline that everyone on this board is drooling over.

I am a huge Chiefs fan and I can tell you right now that Pioli is a terrible person. The only reason he is working in Atlanta is because Dimitrov owed him for showing him the ropes in New England.

Don't you think it's strange Pioli couldn't get an interview for one of the open GM positions? There is a reason for this. The dude is a psychopathic control freak. He ran the Chiefs into the ground. He eavesdropped on phone calls and ruined careers. Not just the players and coaches but the regular employees too. The fans took matters into their own hands and didn't stop until he was fired. Just google "Save our Chiefs."

YOU DO NOT WANT HIS GUY. HE IS BAD NEWS.

You have no idea the depths this guy has sunk to. I honestly can't believe what I am reading here.

The Chiefs were already in the ground when he got there. Specifically, who's career did he destroy?

Read this Coolio.

http://www.kansascit...rnover-off.html

Also this isn't going to help you get Brandon Albert in free agency if some of you wanted him. He hates the guy. LOL

I hate the guy so much for what he did to the Chiefs that I took time out to come over and tell you. I'm not going to get too far into it because it isn't fun to re-hash but do some homework before you rown him. He is one messed up guy and he doesn't deserve another chance at being a GM.

Edited by BlackBob

Read this Coolio.

http://www.kansascit...rnover-off.html

Also this isn't going to help you get Brandon Albert in free agency if some of you wanted him. He hates the guy. LOL

I hate the guy so much for what he did to the Chiefs that I took time out to come over and tell you. I'm not going to get too far into it because it isn't fun to re-hash but do some homework before you rown him. He is one messed up guy and he doesn't deserve another chance at being a GM.

but why is he so messed up?