Bpa Over Need

benxiong

As long as the BPA is not a QB, K, P, or LS it doesn't matter what position he plays. The 6th pick should be somebody who other teams "FEAR," because of his elite skill set.

People argue that the player taken must be need based, but rarely do BPA and need base co-exist. Remember when the Falcons lost Kerney to the FA and drafted on need base? Jamaal Anderson happened. Again in 09 when the Falcons lost both Rod Coleman and Grady Jackson. What happened? Peria Jerry! Losing OT Wayne Gandy forced the Falcons to go need base and that ended with the Falcons overdrafting Sam Baker. The verdict is still not conclusive on Baker but he is no where near as good as his draft status.

Drafting BPA is crucial, at least in the first round, if any franchise wants to be successful long term. Another top WR with the 6th pick? I could care less, hey the Falcons will have TWO Julio on the field at the same time. A LB? I don't see how this can be bad it worked for the Panthers. They drafted Kuechly even though their LB was a strong stable in their defense already. How did that turn our for them? Kuechly is an all-pro turned an already good LB core into an elite LB core.

The point is the #6 needs to be BPA over Need base. Here's another little history, with maybe only a little point. Portland Trailblazers skipped over Micheal Jordan because he wasn't need base. The team had too many good SG already and instead of going BPA went need base. The rest was history. I'll let you decipher the meaning. Good night and GO Falcons!

I agree with what your saying. But in our situation there is no way taking another receiver helps. But beck yea other than that we've almost gotta go bpa. The funny thing is we can be upgraded at almost every position so it will be filling a need as well.

I thought you had to have a hundred posts to start a thread?????? these type threads were supposedly the reason behind that? Not that I totally disagree with the BPA thoughtline, but some of your reasoning is a little off. JA was drafted by Petrino, that in and of itself should explain why it was such obvious FAIL.

we released Rod Coleman in Feb 2008, He never played a down in the TD/MS era, so Jerry wasn't drafted to replace him, Grady played their first year, and like a few other 'vets' on defense, wasn't retained afterwards. A lot of 'draft gurus' had us taking Jerry as both BPA at the time we drafted AND need based, so spin it like you want it. He was noted for having great burst and strong ability to push the middle. man, that knee injury.......we've never REALLY got to see what he could have been.

I'm done with this by saying, anyone who watched ANY game we played this year and thinks we should forget how badly both the lines played and draft sammy watkins because he's "BPA" should really just go find another team to attach themselves to

I thought you had to have a hundred posts to start a thread?????? these type threads were supposedly the reason behind that? Not that I totally disagree with the BPA thoughtline, but some of your reasoning is a little off. JA was drafted by Petrino, that in and of itself should explain why it was such obvious FAIL.

we released Rod Coleman in Feb 2008, He never played a down in the TD/MS era, so Jerry wasn't drafted to replace him, Grady played their first year, and like a few other 'vets' on defense, wasn't retained afterwards. A lot of 'draft gurus' had us taking Jerry as both BPA at the time we drafted AND need based, so spin it like you want it. He was noted for having great burst and strong ability to push the middle. man, that knee injury.......we've never REALLY got to see what he could have been.

I'm done with this by saying, anyone who watched ANY game we played this year and thinks we should forget how badly both the lines played and draft sammy watkins because he's "BPA" should really just go find another team to attach themselves to

It's Cats like you that love those not so manly threads about uniforms or whos fans are better. The board is like a really bad version of TMZ. The OP started a logical thread about Atlanta Falcons football. I love these type conversations. This is a great debatable subject. Thank you OP for this thread.

No I agree with the OP. A team that has the best available player mind set usually winds up with the better drafts. Needs based drating limits the focus on the board and ignores potential game changers. Noone is suggesting the Falcons not address wholes in the draft, but you also have to look at the entire board and decide if a player like Watkins would make a more impact on the team over a guys like Matthews or Robinson? Can guys like Matthews or Robinson be drafted in later rounds? Can a guy like Sammy Watkins be found in later rounds? Looking at the entire board just opens up a world of possibilities.

Whats so bad about this thread? The points made were valid, the reasoning sound. No way is it inappropriate, not at all.

Yeah Grady and Rod were gone, but McKay never replaced them. Except for Babs, we had scrubs on this team at the time. And because TD is obsessed with DBs, in 2009 we had a dire need for DTs, sure. It was close but as I recall it, Clay Matthews was top rated at the time.

Seems to me, Jerry lost a lot of that spark he had for playing. That happens....remember Bryan Scott?

As long as the BPA is not a QB, K, P, or LS it doesn't matter what position he plays. The 6th pick should be somebody who other teams "FEAR," because of his elite skill set.

People argue that the player taken must be need based, but rarely do BPA and need base co-exist. Remember when the Falcons lost Kerney to the FA and drafted on need base? Jamaal Anderson happened. Again in 09 when the Falcons lost both Rod Coleman and Grady Jackson. What happened? Peria Jerry! Losing OT Wayne Gandy forced the Falcons to go need base and that ended with the Falcons overdrafting Sam Baker. The verdict is still not conclusive on Baker but he is no where near as good as his draft status.

Drafting BPA is crucial, at least in the first round, if any franchise wants to be successful long term. Another top WR with the 6th pick? I could care less, hey the Falcons will have TWO Julio on the field at the same time. A LB? I don't see how this can be bad it worked for the Panthers. They drafted Kuechly even though their LB was a strong stable in their defense already. How did that turn our for them? Kuechly is an all-pro turned an already good LB core into an elite LB core.

The point is the #6 needs to be BPA over Need base. Here's another little history, with maybe only a little point. Portland Trailblazers skipped over Micheal Jordan because he wasn't need base. The team had too many good SG already and instead of going BPA went need base. The rest was history. I'll let you decipher the meaning. Good night and GO Falcons!

You make some good points, let me add a few things.

Back in 1982, the Falcons had William Andrews and Lynn Cain. We did have some needs, primarily on defense. But Gerald Riggs was there, and our FO selected him with our first round pick. Riggs was a faster and perhaps less powerful version of Michael Turner. Riggs turned out to be one of the best backs to ever play the game.

Back in 1980, the Giants had a stellar group of LBs. HOF Harry Carson was one of them, they had a couple other Pro Bowlers too, not to mention other needs. But Bill Parcells saw something in an LB coming out of North Carolina, and when the second overall pick came around Parcells did not hesitate to draft Lawrence Taylor. Taylor changed the way the game is played today.

TD has really butchered his use of the draft. I did not like some things about McKays personnel moves, but one thing he did do okay at was to have a nearly complete team in place when it came draft time. That way if he wanted to, McKay could go BPA if he felt the need.

If TD came up with a couple of legit starters for both our O and D line in FA, then BPA in the draft would not bother me. But I have a feeling that in a couple years we will look back at this draft and ponder what could have been, once again. TD just has a way of doing that.

I wouldnt be thrilled w/ a Watkins pick, but I wouldnt be too pissed off either. It'd be nice to have him when Julio has his yearly injury, especially now that TG is gone. HD did decent this year, but I think we need to be looking to offload him. Surely someone would bite on a relatively young, 1000 yard receiver.

Best player available is good when you don't have gaping holes along the offensive line. They talk about developing talent along the lines. Ok, why don't we take a lineman in the first and or second to develop. Grab an OT or OG in FA and draft some talent to get in here and develop. Not these 4-5 rounders that need 3 years and might never develop anyways. Clowney is the only guy we should draft in the first over an OT with the 6th pick. One of Mathews or Robinson will be there at our pick. That would be BPA and address our greatest need.

Well hopefully the BPA is Clowney because we definitely need him.

WRONG the NEED is a great pass rush

one way may be to draft Clowney (if available) but it is not the only way

Stop confusing NEED with SOLUTION

Solution #1 Draft Clowney (or best D-lineman available)

Solution #2 keep OSI and sign another good FA Dlineman

Solution #3 Trade for JJ Watt (not likely)

etc