Offensive Line Self-Evaluation: Joe Hawley

Lowndesfalc

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/3462/offensive-line-self-evaluation-joe-hawley

Offensive line self-evaluation: Joe Hawley

January, 13, 2014

JAN 13

8:00

AM ET

By Vaughn McClure | ESPN.com

Joe Hawley doesn’t want his last memory in an Atlanta Falcons uniform to be that forgettable bad snap against Carolina in the season’s final game.

The center and former fourth-round draft pick from UNLV is set to become an unrestricted free agent on March 11. Hawley drew high praise from head coach Mike Smith when he supplanted Peter Konz as the starting center and made an immediate impact in terms of keeping the pocket clean for quarterback Matt Ryan.

Did the undersized Hawley (6-foot-3, 302 pounds) show enough to be the team’s center of the future?

"I hope that they give me that opportunity,’’ Hawley said. "I think I’ve proven that I belong as a starting center in this league. Hopefully they’ll give me a chance to come back and show that I’m that guy.’’

Here’s Hawley's self-evaluation of the 2013 season:

Joe Hawley

Position: center

Contract status: Unrestricted free agent

2013 games played/starts: 16/7

Snaps: 539

Overview: Hawley started the season as the extra lineman in the heavy package. He surpassed Konz as the starting center in Week 11 at Tampa Bay and then really opened eyes with a strong showing against the Saints in Week 12 while facing a tough defensive front. More than anything, Hawley brought a little bit of an edge to a line that needed to show more toughness.

Hawley's self-evaluation: "Personally, I’m happy with the way I stepped in and played. Obviously, we didn’t get the outcome we wanted as a team. I competed in training camp for the starting job. I didn’t get it. I kept working every week like I was the starter. I wanted to show them that I was ready when the opportunity was presented. So when I got the opportunity, nothing really changed. I just went out there and did what I knew I could. I felt like I played well. Obviously, I need to work on getting everybody on the same page together and getting the line to work better together. But, I thought I played well.’’

Tuesday: Lamar Holmes

I can't sit here and say how he played because I did not see any more games after week ten but when you are part of one of the worst olines in the league there is more for you to work on then just communication.

Edited by oztin

Hawley's self-evaluation: "Personally, I’m happy with the way I stepped in and played.

This just seems to be a systemic problem, right here. Coaches coddling the players to create this "I did my best" attitude. Hawley should NEVER be "happy" with the way he played, I don't care if he was the best center in the league, he should be hungry for ALWAYS being better. Yet he isn't. I can't help but put this on the coaches even though there's a legitimate argument that it's more of a personal attribute. If the coaches see this kind of attitude, it should be on them to make the players hungry for excellence. This whole thing is really making me hate our coaching staff.

This just seems to be a systemic problem, right here. Coaches coddling the players to create this "I did my best" attitude. Hawley should NEVER be "happy" with the way he played, I don't care if he was the best center in the league, he should be hungry for ALWAYS being better. Yet he isn't. I can't help but put this on the coaches even though there's a legitimate argument that it's more of a personal attribute. If the coaches see this kind of attitude, it should be on them to make the players hungry for excellence. This whole thing is really making me hate our coaching staff.

Well, I'd guess you could reach that conclusion when you take a statement out of context. Your statement above makes it seem like he claimed he has nothing to work on which simply isn't true. None of them had said "Yep, I'm perfect and right where I need to be, I have nothing to improve on"...

How many times have you heard Peyton say "I'm happy with how I played"? He had the best QB season ever and he still says he has to keep working and get better in certain areas. You should NEVER be satisfied. Idk if it's a team problem or not but I would guess it is.

This team needs people that will tell them the truth. If you suck, you suck. This isn't pee wee where everyone gets a trophy. Only 1 trophy is given out each year and this team had never got one.

Time for that to change before we waste Ryan's prime.

Well, I'd guess you could reach that conclusion when you take a statement out of context. Your statement above makes it seem like he claimed he has nothing to work on which simply isn't true. None of them had said "Yep, I'm perfect and right where I need to be, I have nothing to improve on"...

Either way, for him to say he was "happy" with his play, especially after this year, really is unacceptable. He had times where he did well, I can acknowledge that, but I think it's laughable for him to say he's happy with himself. If mediocrity makes our players "happy", then there are some fundamental problems that start at the top.

Either way, for him to say he was "happy" with his play, especially after this year, really is unacceptable. He had times where he did well, I can acknowledge that, but I think it's laughable for him to say he's happy with himself. If mediocrity makes our players "happy", then there are some fundamental problems that start at the top.

Yep. As long as we win 8-10 games very year, no problem. Problem for Smitty and TD is that we won 4 this year and Blank is having hallucinations of dollar bills being flushed down the toilet.

How many times have you heard Peyton say "I'm happy with how I played"? He had the best QB season ever and he still says he has to keep working and get better in certain areas. You should NEVER be satisfied. Idk if it's a team problem or not but I would guess it is.

This team needs people that will tell them the truth. If you suck, you suck. This isn't pee wee where everyone gets a trophy. Only 1 trophy is given out each year and this team had never got one.

Time for that to change before we waste Ryan's prime.

theres not one player that you will find that will come out and say i suck. Plain and simple, thats not how you land a job, players are gonna point out the good sides of their game especially in a contract year. Nothing wrong with what hawley said.

And by the way dawg theres nothin wrong with seeing the possitives about a terrible line, hawley did bring some improvement and intensity to the line and thats why he deserves a chance to come back and compete. That doesnt mean im calling him a world beater, he obviously had some flaws but hes hardly the heart of the issue on the oline.

And again, you are taking his statement out of context and making it out something that it clearly isn't. At no point did he say he was thrilled to the point of having nothing to work on and he actually goes one step further and stated an area that he wants to improve.

I know we just had a bad year but to hang on every word is a bit much...

our offensive line has been so bad this year that half the members of this board do not even know what good offensive line play is supposed to look like.

The Hawley Love on this board is ridiculous.

I think the hate is ridiculous. Hawley did play well. Was he perfect? Of course not, no one is but to deny that he played well is hilarious to me...

The way I see it, Hawley didn't get a fair chance to win the starting center position because Konz was already

penciled in. Hawley knew the scheme better which was the most important thing in this case.

As far as Smitty giving him high praise...no. Smitty said he's undersized. First thing out of his mouth.

I'm not saying Hawley is a world beater, the center position may have been more solid or at least half decent last season

in the first 10 games if Hawley had been given the chance. When he did the opportunity, he proved he was better than Konz. That points

to poor evaluation, favoritism or as Dimi calls it - mis-assessment.

Question is, can Konz play better with more experience, a different scheme or is he truly a bust at the center position?

I didn't see much improvement from game 1 to game 9.

Atlanta Falcons

As long as you try your best, it doesn't matter if you suck donkey balls.

I think the hate is ridiculous. Hawley did play well. Was he perfect? Of course not, no one is but to deny that he played well is hilarious to me...

"played well" on offensive line play is relative to the team. On the Patriots, Hawley would not have been deemed to "play well". On the Falcons, yeah, he "played well" - it is relative.

I think Hawley is a nice back-up and would be in favor of retaining him - as a back-up Center. Maybe if you sandwiched Hawley between two guards like Jahri Evans and Ben Grubbs(like de la Puente) he would look good and be deemed to have "played well".

The way I see it, Hawley didn't get a fair chance to win the starting center position because Konz was already

penciled in. Hawley knew the scheme better which was the most important thing in this case.

As far as Smitty giving him high praise...no. Smitty said he's undersized. First thing out of his mouth.

I'm not saying Hawley is a world beater, the center position may have been more solid or at least half decent last season

in the first 10 games if Hawley had been given the chance. When he did the opportunity, he proved he was better than Konz. That points

to poor evaluation, favoritism or as Dimi calls it - mis-assessment.

Question is, can Konz play better with more experience, a different scheme or is he truly a bust at the center position?

I didn't see much improvement from game 1 to game 9.

4 season's hes had to beat out incumbents the fact of the matter is they slated before the previous off season that there was an open competition along that o-line for starters and Hawley didn't beat out Konz.

Also have a look at the lack of No Huddle under Konz & Hawley,it was a thing of beauty watching Mclure run it but nothing from these other 2.Basically by not having it it allowed opposing D-lines to tee off on our inexperienced starters and explains alot of the inconsistencies up front.

Anyone who thinks C doesn't need to be addressed is fooling themselves.

Edited by kiwifalcon

But isn't this just like when the coaching staff continually use the word PROCESS though we as a team are continually looking to get better and the term PROCESS is the word used yet alot of this board think that the PROCESS is just an excuse so in the same breath they contradict themselves because they don't under stand the context in which the word is being used.

Win or lose the SB but the PROCESS is never ending if you are continually looking to get better.

Edited by kiwifalcon

4 season's hes had to beat out incumbents the fact of the matter is they slated before the previous off season that there was an open competition along that o-line for starters and Hawley didn't beat out Konz.

Also have a look at the lack of No Huddle under Konz & Hawley,it was a thing of beauty watching Mclure run it but nothing from these other 2.Basically by not having it it allowed opposing D-lines to tee off on our inexperienced starters and explains alot of the inconsistencies up front.

Anyone who thinks C doesn't need to be addressed is fooling themselves.

Neither Konz nor Hawley was going to beat out McClure. Experience trumps all.

Can an experienced center come in and do a better job? Probably, but that's not what being debated

My point is, that if you have an open competition where the best man wins, the backup should not outperform the winner.

Get it? Not saying that Hawley is the answer. You probably didn't read what I said or you didn't read carefully. I said

that it wasn't really an open competition if Hawley proved to be the better of the two players. Konz was put at RG last year

even though he himself said that he had not played that position. He was put there to get experience before being put in the center position. But he wasn't ready to be the center.

Clear?

Neither Konz nor Hawley was going to beat out McClure. Experience trumps all.

Can an experienced center come in and do a better job? Probably, but that's not what being debated

My point is, that if you have an open competition where the best man wins, the backup should not outperform the winner.

Get it? Not saying that Hawley is the answer. You probably didn't read what I said or you didn't read carefully. I said

that it wasn't really an open competition if Hawley proved to be the better of the two players. Konz was put at RG last year

even though he himself said that he had not played that position. He was put there to get experience before being put in the center position. But he wasn't ready to be the center.

Clear?

Experience so what has Hawley been doing the last 4 years????

You would think after 4 years sitting behind a vet C like Mclure he'd have stepped right in.

I know for a fact after 2011 they were hoping for Hawley to beat Mclure out during TC it didn't happen.

Both players have played RG at one stage or another I see nothing to suggest that plan has worked in the development of these 2 guys.

Experience so what has Hawley been doing the last 4 years????

You would think after 4 years sitting behind a vet C like Mclure he'd have stepped right in.

I know for a fact after 2011 they were hoping for Hawley to beat Mclure out during TC it didn't happen.

Both players have played RG at one stage or another I see nothing to suggest that plan has worked in the development of these 2 guys.

I'll try and make it simple. Did Hawley play the center position better than Konz? I say he did. And you?