Dline: Who To Keep/cut/walk

ssippifalcon

DE:

Osi Umeniora cut

Why? He is getting old his level of play has clearly droped and hes not the player we were hoping we would get. If his cap wasnt so high and we didnt have some young players developing into nice depth then i could see us keeping him for depth.

Kroy Biermann keep

Why? Yes he went down with a year ending injury and i fully expect the falcons to find another player who can play his type of role, but in nolans defense you want more than one of the type of player he is. Hes nolans jack of all trades and does so much for this defense, the level of play for this defense dramatically decreased when he went down.

Jonathan Massaquoi keep

Why? Mass has shown tremendous improvement this year and is starting to shape out to be a nice player, i dont think hes a starter yet but i do think hes in prime position to eventually become one.

Mallichai Goodman keep

Why? He showed some good things his first year and i think he could become a nice rotational guy.

Stansley Maponga keep

Why? He didnt show much in his first year but i think he will be given some time to develope after only one season where he didnt see much play time.

Cliff Matthews cut

Why? Hes a solid depth player but we already have loads of those, hes the odd man out in a year where i see at least two new DEs being brought in, one vet one rookie.

DT:

Corey Peters keep

Why? In a year where most of the dline had a rough outing peters looked to be one of the few who was actually playing, taking double teams and being an impact on the dline, he was injured near the end of the year but i think that will make him cheaper and i think he bounces back with a solid year.

Jonathan Babineaux keep

Why? Yes age is catching up to the tenured vet, but he has recently expressed his desire to remain a falcon and dimi has expressed the desire to resign him, if that price is at a veteran depth sized contract then i think dimi should jump all over it.

Peria Jerry walk

Why? He was a first round pick who got injured and since that injury he has shown nothing that leads me to believe he can be an impact player or depth eorthy player for this team.

Travian Robertson cut

Why? Simply put he just hasnt shown enough to warrant a roster spot, hes been developing a few years now and has barely even seen the field outside of a major injury crisis. I think we look into restocking the DT position with fresh legs, one new starter and a solid depth player.

Adam Replogle keep

Why? He showed alot of ability last preseason, i cant begin to understand why they didnt give him playtime after getting hit with so many injuries but if nothing he should be back this year for camp.

I know im missing someone so if you guys can help me out it would be greatly appreciated, these are the main players who seen play time this year.

Keep Osi. He wasn't Abe but he was still pretty much the best pass rusher you had. No point in repeating the mistakes of last season. You need to be adding guys that can get after the QB like Seattle did.

i agree but osi isnt that guy, i think if you sign someone like bennett this year then osi has to go, he makes too much for a depth situational player.

And thats especially if you plan on nabbing clowney or another first round DE

Edited by ssippifalcon

How are you gonna cut your only proven pass rush? If Osi gets any type of help on the line, he'll be even more productive.

your cutting him because he cant produce like a starter anymore, hes practically useless against the run which makes him a situational player. He was a downgrade and he wont be helpful hogging up a lob of salary as a backup. I like osi i just dont think hes the same player he used to be.

Osi was a guy surrounded by talent and thrived off that talent in New York. It's not his fault the front office in atlanta didn't provide the same. The problem is inside.

he had peters inside taking double teams and yes i can agree babs play has droped off but so has osi's. If hes kept it would have to be as a starter and ill say again, he cant stop the run.

I agree with some of the other posts cutting osu could come back to bite us if we have the injury bug hit us. I would cut matthews though. I think the hardest decision to make is at DT. I love babs but I don't think he should be given majority ofbthe snaps anymore. Peters has also been a good player but he never makes it through a whole season I don't think we can afford go keep that kind of player. I would only keep one between jerry Robertson and repoglee.

he had peters inside taking double teams and yes i can agree babs play has droped off but so has osi's. If hes kept it would have to be as a starter and ill say again, he cant stop the run.

my point is, osi was never in a position to be "that guy" in New York. He had real help. He was brought him and for some reason was expected to be that guy with limited help. Sorry but peters doesn't play at a high level on a consistent basis, no one on our line has for a while. Even Abe had his best games against worthless teams whether it's admitted or not. So to say cut him and keep other unproven defensive ends who he outperformed by himself and possibly replace him with an unproven rookie is pretty unfair

The de's are.going no where. They will resign babs and peters. Robertson is under contract for another season. They will bring in a vet DT, one we wont even think of, draft another in the third round. Oline will get a guard in the draft and a midpriced vet tackle. More than likely retreading a border line player. They are saving their big money for.Julio.

The de's are.going no where. They will resign babs and peters. Robertson is under contract for another season. They will bring in a vet DT, one we wont even think of, draft another in the third round. Oline will get a guard in the draft and a midpriced vet tackle. More than likely retreading a border line player. They are saving their big money for.Julio.

so you think they will stand pat with the nothing that they have in a possible make or break year and just hope the guys who didnt perform up to par will magically turn it around? Dimitroff better be thinking about everything other than julio right now for his own sake.

my point is, osi was never in a position to be "that guy" in New York. He had real help. He was brought him and for some reason was expected to be that guy with limited help. Sorry but peters doesn't play at a high level on a consistent basis, no one on our line has for a while. Even Abe had his best games against worthless teams whether it's admitted or not. So to say cut him and keep other unproven defensive ends who he outperformed by himself and possibly replace him with an unproven rookie is pretty unfair

i dont think they will replace him with an unproven rookie, i think they will replace him with a younger proven vet like micheal bennett as well as bring in an early round rookie if clowney is attainable.

But you do make a good assessment about osis role and what the front office expected that they wont get with osi by himself.

Edited by ssippifalcon

i dont think they will replace him with an unproven rookie, i think they will replace him with a younger proven vet like micheal bennett as well as bring in an early round rookie if clowney is attainable.

But you do make a good assessment about osis role and what the front office expected that they wont get with osi by himself.

clowney is still gonna be an unproven rookie until he proves otherwise. They can sign Bennett all day but without getting better players to play DT, it's all worthless. Peters was our best stat wise but he's just as fragile as Jerry.

I'm ready for a complete overhaul on the Dline. I suggest we go to a 3-4 base defense but even if we don't, take a sledge hammer to both lines. In the voice of the great black comedian Robin Harris, "gotta go, gotta go!!!"

DE:

Osi Umeniora cut

Too old. Too one dimensional. Misfit for a 3-4.

Kroy Biermann cut

Coming off injury. Never been more than average. Not nearly as versatile as the TATF members claim

Jonathan Massaquoi keep

I think he will end up being a decent pass rusher. Could be one of Dimi's low round gems

Mallichai Goodman keep

Too early to cut. Cheap. Has some upside. Plays run pretty good

Stansley Maponga keep

See Goodman. Same story

Cliff Matthews cut

Gotta go, gotta go

DT:

Corey Peters keep

Had a very good year. Improved his run defense. Got after the QB. Even though injured we should keep him. Young with upside

Jonathan Babineaux cut

Getting up there in age. The only way I'd keep him is if we can get him on the cheap and use him as a 3-4 DE

Peria Jerry walk

Gotta go, gotta go. Don't trust bust players that have their best seasons in a contract year

Travian Robertson cut

Bye

Adam Replogle keep

Give him Travian's position. He couldn't be any worse

This frees up $6.6M but leaves us with four open slots. Two at DT and two at DE. Draft two players and sign two free agents. Get bigger, faster, stronger, nastier players. Kick as and take names.

clowney is still gonna be an unproven rookie until he proves otherwise. They can sign Bennett all day but without getting better players to play DT, it's all worthless. Peters was our best stat wise but he's just as fragile as Jerry.

i agree DT should be addressed and i think babs should be a situational player and again i dont expect osi to be replaced by a rookie, not even clowney. If they dont go after another vet then i fully expect them to keep osi.

Dimitroff has set a precedent. He will add players to the line, but the onus to fix things will be on Cox and Tice. There is no way he splashes big money on lineman. He will wait it out and get the bargains at the end. They will also wait for June cuts.

I would prefer that they cut bait with a bunch of dead wood, but unfortunately I think they are too proud to admit they picked bad coaches and borderline players.

i agree DT should be addressed and i think babs should be a situational player and again i dont expect osi to be replaced by a rookie, not even clowney. If they dont go after another vet then i fully expect them to keep osi.

i said this the other day and it went unnoticed, take a look at our defensive ends drafted by TD. We have at least 3 that would fit perfectly as a 3-4 OLB. Perfect example is Kroys first season as the hybrid guy under Nolan. Massequi was scouted as a top 3-4 OLB yet didn't get the chance and was used as a pure edge rusher. I don't know what TD considers a scheme fit but I don't see many ends on this team that should be pure edge rushers. Maybe I'm completely wrong though

Only cut Osi if you are going to land a big name defensive end in free agency or through the draft (Clowney). Outside of that, we can not lose the best pass rusher on our team.

i agree an i believe that will be replaced, i dont think they will cut him if clowney is the only guy being brought in though.

i said this the other day and it went unnoticed, take a look at our defensive ends drafted by TD. We have at least 3 that would fit perfectly as a 3-4 OLB. Perfect example is Kroys first season as the hybrid guy under Nolan. Massequi was scouted as a top 3-4 OLB yet didn't get the chance and was used as a pure edge rusher. I don't know what TD considers a scheme fit but I don't see many ends on this team that should be pure edge rushers. Maybe I'm completely wrong though

i agree but i still dont think they switch to a primarily 3/4 defense.

I'm ready for a complete overhaul on the Dline. I suggest we go to a 3-4 base defense but even if we don't, take a sledge hammer to both lines. In the voice of the great black comedian Robin Harris, "gotta go, gotta go!!!"

DE:

Osi Umeniora cut

Too old. Too one dimensional. Misfit for a 3-4.

Kroy Biermann cut

Coming off injury. Never been more than average. Not nearly as versatile as the TATF members claim

Jonathan Massaquoi keep

I think he will end up being a decent pass rusher. Could be one of Dimi's low round gems

Mallichai Goodman keep

Too early to cut. Cheap. Has some upside. Plays run pretty good

Stansley Maponga keep

See Goodman. Same story

Cliff Matthews cut

Gotta go, gotta go

DT:

Corey Peters keep

Had a very good year. Improved his run defense. Got after the QB. Even though injured we should keep him. Young with upside

Jonathan Babineaux cut

Getting up there in age. The only way I'd keep him is if we can get him on the cheap and use him as a 3-4 DE

Peria Jerry walk

Gotta go, gotta go. Don't trust bust players that have their best seasons in a contract year

Travian Robertson cut

Bye

Adam Replogle keep

Give him Travian's position. He couldn't be any worse

This frees up $6.6M but leaves us with four open slots. Two at DT and two at DE. Draft two players and sign two free agents. Get bigger, faster, stronger, nastier players. Kick as and take names.

I like your assessment, only difference is I would probably keep Kroy, I'm one of the members who thinks he's valuable, can never have too many guys who can do multiple things on the field, plus you can't teach hustle & he has that. Also at least until the final cut, I'd keep Babs, if he comes cheap, could still be very valuable, esp. if you need someone dependable to add depth

We don't need to CUT Babs. He is a FA now. As is Peters and Jerry.

I say let them all go right now. Peters was worth resigning if he would agree to the right price but with his achilles injury at end of season and his declining to extend earlier for the offer given him... I say move on.