It's A Passing League? Falcons Need To Re-Invest In Ground Game

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

This big play offense is great, but if there is one weak link with the o-line, receivers, or qb on any given day then it will start to fail. Look at these playoff games.

KC vs IND: With the lead they had, if Jc didn't go down in 1st qtr, it hardly makes it improbable that the Chiefs would have won.

SD vs CIN: The main reason the Bengals couldn't win was because of the poor play of Dalton and the off, a good running would have offset this. The main reason the SD offense made such an impact stemmed from the fact they had 3 runners for 50+ yards.

PHI vs NO: The NO running game had a great game and carried the offense

SF vs GB: Capernick had nearly a hundred on the ground and Gore had nearly 70.

NO vs SEA: Lynch carried his offense with 140 yards on the ground.

NE vs IND: Blount had 160 and Ridely 50. Tom Brady was hardly the reason they won. Need I say more?

In the end none of the elite or very good pocket passers couldn't get it done or weren't that impact, while their running games were. Andrew Luck, Nick Foles, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers. None of them could get it done.

The Falcons themselves for 5 years had a good running game or at least the threat of one in the back field with Michael Turner. Those 5 seasons were winning seasons.

It's good to have the ability to be a big play offense, but if the Falcons want to get back to winning, they need to reinvest in this run game at least offensively either from the OL or the RBS.

The only consistent lead running back in all these games was Lynch. The age of the 1 lead back who is your main and only back all season long is fading fast. We would be better off playing the hot hand.

Edited by Dirty Bird Nation

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find great run games and elite defenses more exciting than great passing offenses anyway. Not sure why the league thinks the opposite is so fantastic.

The NFL pushes it through the media because the highlight reel catches and qbs who throw 4-5 TDs in one game make the ratings higher and gets them more views.

Edited by kkc86

LOL!!! Beats me bro.

Me too! I dislike the majority of the teams in the playoffs this year but **** it's fun to watch dominating D's like the Hawks and Panthers, or the running games displayed by the Pats and Hawks tonight. I would love if we had a D i could have confidence in and have fun watching instead of just getting angry all the time hahah.

And do that by investing in the line, not the RB.

See what the Patriots did to the Colts? It didn't involve a 1st round, dual threat, Pro Bowl RB.

I agree too, they need more involvement with the entire RB depth. From Sjax down to Smith and Snelling and Quizz thrown in. Simply playing the hot hand could do wonders. Look what the Pats did. And what Chargers and Saints did last week. These teams and a lot of others don't waste a lot of money in one amazing player but spread it around into a couple of pretty good ones, and they do a great job at it.

But but but, Ryan won without a running game...

Nevermind all year they hated the run plays into 'stacked boxes'...as you said, the running game and even the THREAT of the running game trumps any pass oriented scheme out there. It's no secret that all of our blow outs with this regime had great running and passing...or that this regime's only playoff win had the best rushing

And do that by investing in the line, not the RB.

See what the Patriots did to the Colts? It didn't involve a 1st round, dual threat, Pro Bowl RB.

I agree. But ridley and vereen were high picks for RBs if iirc. Just saying.

Idk how TD came from NE and learned the lines didn't matter.

Who was the last running team to win a Superbowl? Who was the last running back to win MVP of the Superbowl. End of thread!

Refer to above, mvps are given to QBs because it's good for the league. It generates more stable jersey sales, poster sales. Qbs will around for team for ages, rarely the case for rbs.

Last running team to win superbowl: Baltimore Ravens.

Pittsburgh in 2006 I think. Or maybe the Colts cause Peyton wasn't impressive in the playoffs that year

Peyton is impressive in playoffs? Blasphemy!

Refer to above, mvps are given to QBs because it's good for the league. It generates more stable jersey sales, poster sales. Qbs will around for team for ages, rarely the case for rbs.

Last running team to win superbowl: Baltimore Ravens.

Ravens threw the ball a lot in the playoffs. And they won the Super Bowl cause of Flacco throwing. Ray Rice had like 60 yards rushing in the Super Bowl