Should Mcclure Been Considered As Replacement For Ol Coach?

bigbirdfanDC

Come on guys. We don't if he wants to coach or if he is a good coach if he wanted to. Stop just randomly throwing around names

I think people think that players can be coaches because they played the position which was being coached.

Just because a player played doesn't mean they have what it takes to coach. It's more than just teaching techniques, I'll tell you that much. People oversimplify things way too much.

I think people think that players can be coaches because they played the position which was being coached.

Just because a player played doesn't mean they have what it takes to coach. It's more than just teaching techniques, I'll tell you that much. People oversimplify things way too much.

Way more to coaching than just knowing how to play the position. A lot of time goes into being a good coach. Also need to know how to get through to players and make yourself different from the same old position coach as every player has had over the years.

Let's bring in Deion as our cornerbacks coach, Jessie Tuggle as our Linebacker coach, Chuck Smith as our D-Line coach, and Jamaal Anderson as our RB coach

I actually wouldn't mind Deion helping our secondary.. Like the way he might work with Alford. Idk about coaching though

I actually wouldn't mind Deion helping our secondary.. Like the way he might work with Alford. Idk about coaching though

As far as "helping our secondary" goes, I know he was at camp this year working with guys a little bit. Or at least talking to guys.

Edited by Mike Kenn

Thanks for those that put thought into their response.

To the others: in fairness, I didn't read all of the other posts (Chuck Smith, Bryan Cox, etc.) until after I posted. I wasn't riding that train in the least bit.

Regarding players being coaches, I think it can be a good thing. Ironically, it tends not to work when the former player was elite. Gretzky and Isaiah Thomas come to mind. However, there's a long list of successful former players/now coaches that were only adequate players but students of the game. For example, Ray Lewis and Tony Gonzalez would probably make a bad coaches. They wouldn't understand why players couldn't do the things that they could.

Thanks for those that put thought into their response.

To the others: in fairness, I didn't read all of the other posts (Chuck Smith, Bryan Cox, etc.) until after I posted. I wasn't riding that train in the least bit.

Regarding players being coaches, I think it can be a good thing. Ironically, it tends not to work when the former player was elite. Gretzky and Isaiah Thomas come to mind. However, there's a long list of successful former players/now coaches that were only adequate players but students of the game. For example, Ray Lewis and Tony Gonzalez would probably make a bad coaches. They wouldn't understand why players couldn't do the things that they could.

I don't think elite automatically make bad coaches, or an average player has a better shot at becoming a good coach than a non-player. I just think coaching is a very challenging gig and it takes a lot of work. There is really no way to predict who will be a goo coach until you see the man (or woman) attempt to coach

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea. In fact, I actually proposed it, just a few days ago, lol

My idea was simply that, b/c he was such a leader on the Oline, then maybe he could be an assistant coach. Nothing is sure, obviously, but I certainly wouldn't mind the hire. I'd find it quite encouraging in fact.

Well as for Deion as a coach he did just tweet this...

DeionSanders@DeionSanders2h

This is why I couldn't coach in the NFL. I would call timeout and Swang on both defensive backs from Seattle for that play. Truth

So yeah..... there's that.

I think it depends on the former player what kind of player was he?

Mcclure wasn't the most athletic Guy biggest Guy or strongest Guy but he understood his to play the game and make adjustments and how to prepare so chances are he'd be a good coach.

But on the other hand take a Guy like Joe Horn who came here one year and really helped Roddy turn the corner and become a really good player and erase the bust label he was getting.

A player like Julio on the other hand while he does have a great skill set what makes him a good player is his athleticism not really his skills(route running,catching release) those will come as he gets older.

Depends on who the player was what made him great his smarts or athleticism McClure would have been all over his OL after Matt took that hit from the rookie on the saints in the first game of the year. I think the OL lacks the toughness That McClure,Dahl and Clabo had