How Does The Compensatory Picks Really Work?

datchrisb1

Okay, both Grimes and Abraham made the pro bowl and in my opinion even Vance Walker played better than the two free agents we received last off season in Steven Jackson and Osi. What I don't understand is how does Osi and Steven cancel out Grimes and Abraham when both made the probowl, meanwhile Steven was barely on the field and didn't even get to 600 yards rushing. Osi had a OKAY season, but nothing spectacular. With what Walker did shouldn't we get one for him?

How do they account for which teams receive compensatory picks?

Okay, both Grimes and Abraham made the pro bowl and in my opinion even Vance Walker played better than the two free agents we received last off season in Steven Jackson and Osi. What I don't understand is how does Osi and Steven cancel out Grimes and Abraham when both made the probowl, meanwhile Steven was barely on the field and didn't even get to 600 yards rushing. Osi had a OKAY season, but nothing spectacular. With what Walker did shouldn't we get one for him?

How do they account for which teams receive compensatory picks?

Neither Osi or S-Jax will cancel out Grimes, because Grimes will have a lower-round comp value than either of these two signings. A signed player can only cancel players in the same comp round or the next higher comp round player, but not in a lower-round, as long as the team remains in a Net Loss situation. A players comp value round is mainly determined by the average yearly compensation of the players new contract, with some minor provisions made for playing time and post-season honors. You might find a lot of your answers in the following linked topic thread:

http://boards.atlant...ry-draft-picks/

And Abraham is not even in the discussion because we cut him.

That 's true, and neither will Clabo, Dunta, or Turner, as they were all cut/released before their contracts expired. Although OT Jeremy Trueblood was a UFA signing by Atlanta, he will NOT count against the Falcons in the comp formula because he was signed after the Free Agency period had ended, and he would also not count as it appears appears he was cut by the Redskins to boot.