Best "mainstream" Rock Song Of The Rock Era

AREA 51

This song is considered by many, including Billboard magazine, as the best rock song of the rock era. I know many hard rockers will disagree, but this is a great song and spent eleven weeks at number one. The rock era is over and has been for over a decade. The ending is marked by the last rock song to hit the top of the Billboard Top 40, which was "How You Remind Me" by Nickleback in 2002.

That is not to say rock is dead, it is just not the most popular genre anymore. So enjoy "Smooth" and the great mix of Santana with Rob Thomas and remember when rock ruled.

http://youtu.be/6Whgn_iE5uc

Edited by AREA51

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This song is considered by many, including Billboard magazine, as the best rock song of the rock era. I know many hard rockers will disagree, but this is a great song and spent eleven weeks at number one. The rock era is over and has been for over a decade. The ending is marked by the last rock song to hit the top of the Billboard Top 40, which was "How You Remind Me" by Nickleback in 2002.

That is not to say rock is dead, it is just not the most popular genre anymore. So enjoy "Smooth" and the great mix of Santana with Rob Thomas and remember when rock ruled.

lol what? When I clicked on this thread I was fully expecting to find either stairway to heaven of hotel California, with the further expectation that the 60's/70's would be considered the "rock" era.

I don't even know what to say.

I don't know what's more offensive, the Santana song, the period he designated as the rock period, or saying it ended with a ******* Nickelback song. Nickelback killed a whole lot of things, but the rock era wasn't one of them.

Why does everybody think their taste in music is superior, and everything else just sucks? I do not care what any so called classic rockers think. Stairway to Heaven is an overrated, overplayed tune from a group only stoners seemed to enjoy.

That said, my taste are more mainstream, but knocking Nickleback or Santana because they are mainstream is just some kind of crap I have never understood.

Why does everybody think their taste in music is superior, and everything else just sucks? I do not care what any so called classic rockers think. Stairway to Heaven is an overrated, overplayed tune from a group only stoners seemed to enjoy.

That said, my taste are more mainstream, but knocking Nickleback or Santana because they are mainstream is just some kind of crap I have never understood.

Overplayed, overrated song only stoners enjoyed? LMAOOO.

Led Zeppelin was mainstream rock in their day. That's the sad state of affairs of music has come to that Nickelback is our mainstream rock. And Santana is most certainly classic rock, but he put out a couple of albums I. Your so-called "rock era" so I guess that makes him mainstream.

Overplayed, overrated song only stoners enjoyed? LMAOOO. Good day, sir.

To each his own. I never criticize people's taste in music unless fired upon, because it is just my opinion. The only kind of music I openly criticize is rap, but that is only because of the messages in much of it. Otherwise, I like rock, R&B, some rap, and most any kind of music. Politics is one thing, but I take music personally.

My hatred for Nickelback has nothing to do with mainstream music. If only 18 people listened to Nickelback, I would still think it sounds like garbage. Stairway to Heaven is a great song in my opinion (especially for those guitar players starting out), but I agree that it is overplayed. What fantastic classic rock ballad hasn't been? Freebird on the other hand, now that sucks.

What is with the hate for Nickleback? I am not a huge fan, but I like a few of their songs.

People just could not resist coming into a simple apprectiation thread and taking shots. It is like that is all some of you do. I will not mention who those people are, Google bot, mdrake.

I am going to go listen to Nickleback right now, thank you very much.

People just could not resist coming into a simple apprectiation thread and taking shots. It is like that is all some of you do. I will not mention who those people are, Google bot, mdrake.

I am going to go listen to Nickleback right now, thank you very much.

Ugh.

On a side note, Avril Lavigne married Nickelback's Chad Kroger, proving that love is not only blind, it's also deaf.

If you are a Nickleback fan...more power to you. They just don't belong in the same area code of a topic about "the best rock song of the rock era". For old Geezers like me the rock era ended sometime around the turn of the 70's into the 80's. It's all subjective though, no reason to get all weepy because some other folks don't share your "tastes" in music.

For real rock though I recommend starting with the Led Zeppelin album Presence. No light to shade ballads like Stairway on that album. All straight ahead no hold bared riff based guitar rock. Played by one of the best at making riff based guitar-centric music. Also, John Bonham was a freaking monster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSlpeifq9bA

Edited by Googlywoogly

If you are a Nickleback fan...more power to you. They just don't belong in the same area code of a topic about "the best rock song of the rock era". For old Geezers like me the rock era ended sometime around the turn of the 70's into the 80's. It's all subjective though, no reason to get all weepy because some other folks don't share your "tastes" in music.

For real rock though I recommend starting with the Led Zeppelin album Presence. No light to shade ballads like Stairway on that album. All straight ahead no hold bared riff based guitar rock. Played by one of the best at making riff based guitar-centric music. Also, John Bonham was a freaking monster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSlpeifq9bA

I turn 28 next month and agree with you on the timeframe of the proper rock era. I have an old soul when it comes to music. They just don't make it like they used to.

K. First. Eminem's the ****.

second rock era? 1950-now. it's impossible to narrow down that much great music to one song and say it's the best.

I'll listen to Chuck Berry The Animals Eminem GWAR Iron Maiden Tupac Slick rick i really don't care as long as it's some good music. **** country tho

But if you do, you don't say it's "smooth" by Santana featuring Rob Thomas.