Ol How About Drafting A Guard Or Center? And What Rookie Tackle To Take?

THE ICEMAN

Is there any top tier interior offensive linemen in this years draft? Haven't really watched much college football this year.

The Fredrick kid seemed to really help dallas's OL(And Smiths much improved play) last year looked like a huge reach then now it looks like a good pick. And there OL was horrible the year before a lot like the falcons this year.

I think we have a lot of guys who are capable of being very good starting with Konz and Holmes but there so dam Raw can we really afford to wait again and get burned again.

The LT Jake Mathews seems to be the popular pick right now (for the ones not high on him don't worry) he'll be gone at two that's who the rams want and he could go anywhere after the 2nd pick if they moved down so I see them hanging onto that pick and taking there guy because they really don't need more picks they been loading up over the last few drafts it time for them to cash them in so to say.

So how does the rest of the tackles compare to him? I've even seen a mock that has Greg Robinson going to us at 6.

Would you be ok taking Robinson at 6? Is that a reach in taking him that high? Move back and chance losing him? Seems like him and Mathews are the top two as far as NFL ready.

This is the problem when you draft for need instead of BPA skilled pos or not(not saying Robinson is a reach or not didn't really get to see him play much this year)

I think if we some how got Alex Mack and draft an upgrade over a healthy Baker it would really improve the offensive line manly the running game. Baker would have first crack at keeping his spot or sliding over to RT but would be pushed by the rookie(Mathews or Robinson) and Holmes as well who I do think learned a lot this year(konz is a different story)

A little more on Konz what do we do with him? He looked like he'd be the best OLmen we had this year in how well he played at guard his rookie year. Then he falls flat on his face being maybe the worse starting center in the NFL. So do we move him back to guard and throw him in the weight room and lock the door. Or do we keep him at center going forward?

Edited by THE ICEMAN

I think we should take a tackle early. I like Robinson on the right side if we plan on sticking with Baker due to his contract. Matthews has experience on the right side so he could fit too. I also like Taylor Lewan from Michigan. He seems to be sliding a little, but he has a mean streak that we lack up front. Wouldnt mind trading down and drafting him. As far as inside guys, Id like to see us sign Mack, but I doubt it happens. Dimitroff seems to want to ride it out another year with Konz/Hawley at center. More realistically I could see us signing Asamoah from KC. That would give us Baker, Blalock, Konz/Hawley, Asamoah, and the 1st round pick at RT. That wouldn't be too bad. Nice improvement in one offseason.

As of right now, I take Greg Robinson in the 1st and Richardson out of Baylor in the 2nd. That sets up the left side of our line for the next decade. Replace Robinson with Matthews or Lewan and it still stands.

What would you do with Baker and Blalock if you put Robinson and Richardson on the left side?

As of right now, I take Greg Robinson in the 1st and Richardson out of Baylor in the 2nd. That sets up the left side of our line for the next decade. Replace Robinson with Matthews or Lewan and it still stands.

We have drafted too many 1st/2nd round bust on the oline. Those picks would be better invested in the dline. I don't understand why people think we can continue to neglect it year after year after year.

I think Blalock and Richardson are interchangeable in terms of LG and RG. All of Richardson's scouting reports say he can play both guard positions, so plug him in on the right side temporarily until Blalock's inflated contract runs up. After that, play it by ear. As for Baker, I've always said that he would look better as a right tackle. When he played LT, he sucked. Blame it on injuries all you want, but I don't feel safe with him starting on the blindside. He's extremely inconsistent.

Baker is a solid player nothing more his problem is he can't Stay healthy and you can't blame him becauce he had these concerns coming out (just like Jerry) when healthy he can play either side

We have drafted too many 1st/2nd round bust on the oline. Those picks would be better invested in the dline. I don't understand why people think we can continue to neglect it year after year after year.

I'd like to see us get Clowney on the d-line, but it just isnt likely. After him there are no 6th overall pick worthy players on the d-line. Id rather see us draft a tackle in the first and then take a tackle in the second.

^I meant an offensive Tackle in the first, then a defensive tackle in the second.

Edited by Mike Kenn

I'd like to see us get Clowney on the d-line, but it just isnt likely. After him there are no 6th overall pick worthy players on the d-line. Id rather see us draft a tackle in the first and then take a tackle in the second.

I agree. We need to get Clowney in the 1st round. I believe that the majority of our oline problems came from the middle, most notably Center and Right Guard. Center needs to be filled via FA, with either Mack or Dietrich-Smith, and maybe Right Guard with Asamoah, with the front three solidified, the tackles become less than of a liability because there should be a pocket for Ryan to step into, as well as playing to SJ's strengths and running up the middle.

I agree. We need to get Clowney in the 1st round. I believe that the majority of our oline problems came from the middle, most notably Center and Right Guard. Center needs to be filled via FA, with either Mack or Dietrich-Smith, and maybe Right Guard with Asamoah, with the front three solidified, the tackles become less than of a liability because there should be a pocket for Ryan to step into, as well as playing to SJ's strengths and running up the middle.

I'm kind of expecting an up and down year next season, so I have no problem with giving Konz another chance. Sign an interior linemen and draft a tackle early. I wish we could've gotten Clowney, but maybe he will fall, who knows haha

Matthews is overrated best OT IMO is Koudijno, there ton's of talent on the interior line but not so much in tackles. Trading back in this years draft would fill a lot of our holes going forward.

We don't need to trade back teams at the top of the draft should never trade back really. Teams in the bottom part of the rounds should trade back this year its almost like having an extra pick but its the 6th pick instead of 2nd or 3rd Rounders.

There also is Free Agency so again there's really no need to move back take BPA even if its a skilled pos that's how you end up taking JA98 over Patrick Willis or Peria Jerry over Clay Mathews or reaching for Sam Baker (even TD said it was a reach but we had to have a tackle)

What happens when you move back 10 spots and the Guy you though was there is gone when you could of had a by far better player at 6 even though it may not be a pos of need some times you just have to bite the bullet and take best player available who that would be now who knows but moving back is a very risky game especially when you haven't drafted DL or OL all that well over the last few years.

Edited by THE ICEMAN

^I meant an offensive Tackle in the first, then a defensive tackle in the second.

I'd actually like to fix one side of the ball in FA and the other threw the draft the defense is rarely young so some veterans might not hurt.

But at the same time the OL was so young seemed like Konz and Holmes had nobody to turn to when they needed to make adjustments in there game.

Hard to say what they should do though whoever they take at 6 though( if there's no trades)

should be pretty good.

I'm kind of expecting an up and down year next season, so I have no problem with giving Konz another chance. Sign an interior linemen and draft a tackle early. I wish we could've gotten Clowney, but maybe he will fall, who knows haha

I wouldn't worry. If the Falcons want Clowney, they will trade up, I don't think they would trade any picks from this year's draft but definitely next years draft, which I feel will happen when draft day comes around. Of the entire line I think the only two I think will stay is Blalock and Baker (only because of his contract), if we get the combination of interior lineman I named our oline, I believe it would be fixed.

Edited by Sidecar Falcon

I wouldn't worry. If the Falcons want Clowney, they will trade up, I don't think they would trade any picks from this year's draft but definitely next years draft, which I feel will happen when draft day comes around. Of the entire line I think the only two I think will stay is Blalock and Baker (only because of his contract), if we get the combination of interior lineman I named our oline, I believe it would be fixed.

I like Clowney and all, but I wouldnt trade too much for him. If all it took was a third or so to move up I would do it in a heartbeat Edited by Mike Kenn

I like Clowney and all, but I wouldnt trade too much for him. If all it took was a third or so to move up I would do it in a heartbeat

I think it will take a 2nd from next year to move up to get him. I think all we have to do is leap frog Oakland into Cleveland's spot to guarantee him. I see the draft going Bridgewater-Matthews-Bortles-Clowney. Cleveland can drop back and still pick up Manziel.

tried that already

08 1st OT Baker

09 5th OT>OG Reynolds

10 3rd OG>OT Mike Johnson

10 4th OC Hawley

11 7th OG Andrew Jackson

12 2nd OC<>OG Konz

12 3rd OT Holmes

Plus FAs Stepanovich, Svitek, Romberg (2X), Chambers, Gunn, Manely, Trueblood, Jones, Locklear, Schraeder

Exactly. I wouldn't mind seeing us go O-Line with the 6th pick. Hard to screw that up. But once there is actual scouting to be done I get scared. Id rather get Nolan some guys in the 2nd-4th rounds.

We need to draft a pass rusher in the first. The biggest OL problem is at guard, not tackle. Blalock is ok but with a bruising, big bodied guard on the other side, we instantly improve our run game, short yardage situations and minimize QB pressures up the middle.

We can get a stud OG in the 2nd. Richardson or Yankey would be great.

We need to draft a pass rusher in the first. The biggest OL problem is at guard, not tackle. Blalock is ok but with a bruising, big bodied guard on the other side, we instantly improve our run game, short yardage situations and minimize QB pressures up the middle.

We can get a stud OG in the 2nd. Richardson or Yankey would be great.

Sign a guard. Jon Asamoah? I don't want Dimitroff to ruin another draft lol