Rams - Falcons Trade Maybe Possible

atlbaby

I really see Dimitroff pulling a last minute on the clock trade with the Rams draft night. The Rams have two first round picks but they are hurting salary cap wise.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/1/10/5296022/2014-st-louis-rams-salary-cap

I see them wanting to move down, but not to far so they can still get their player. Looking at their needs they need OL help, safety, and WR. They could use their 2nd first round pick on a WR/Safety. Meaning they will be trying to get the best OT on the board. The best trade for the Rams would be any team in front of the Falcons because TD and Blank has already said we will be addressing OL-DL this offseason. Them not knowing if we are targeting Matthews/Robinson will make them hesitant to trade behind us. Especially if Clowney is off the board. The Bucs who picks after us could also be targeting a OT to replace their RT or Donald Penn.

The difference in pay for the #2 pick and #6 pick is as follows:

#2 : Luke joeckel - 4yr 21.2M

#6 : Barkevious Mingo - 4yr 16.3

So its basically a difference of 1plus Mil a yr. A Mil that they can use to lighten their salary cap.

They give us what we want Clowney, and they can still get the better of the two OTs before TB selects. How do the Rams benefit in this trade? 1. Salary cap relief 2. Maybe we can flop 3 rounds picks so Rams would be drafting higher in that round and we still keep all of our picks

Edited by atlbaby

It really depends on what we do in FA if we get a RT and and big DT I'll be down with trading up for Clowney as long as we get to keep our 2nd rounder so we can pick up one of those RG like Jackson, Richardson and Yankey

I feel you. That's why I'm hoping we acquire Linval Joesph and Rodger Saffold in FA, especially since the Rams can't really afford to sign him. Saffold can play RG, RT, and LT but even if we sign him I still want Gabe Jackson.

LT: Baker/Holmes-Saffold-Schraeder

LG: Blalock-Jackson

C: Hawley-Konz

RG: Jackson-Saffold-Konz

RT: Saffold-Holmes-Schraeder-drafted player

If Dimitroff trade to #2 overall then he absolutely deserves to be fired on the spot.

I'm very much back to my original opinion on the draft, that if Clowney isn't there at 6, then we need to trade down and take the best DT available. I still love Mack, and think that he will be a great player, but the DT position needs to be blown up this year.

Guest King Jigsaw

I just don't see the hate for Barr.

I don't think anyone hates him. He's a good prospect and all, he just isn't a good enough fit to warrant us taking him at 6th overall.

If Dimitroff trade to #2 overall then he absolutely deserves to be fired on the spot.

No he should not especially if we acquire a DT and RT/RG in FA

no thanks

why not? Is it because you think we will draft picks. I'm not so sure they will be wanting more picks with the way their salary cap will be looking. This is the best time to take advantage of a team in a bad situation like the Dolphins did with the Raiders last draft.

If rams trade down, it will be with a team looking to draft their franchise qb. Because the cost to move up is much higher than op suggests.

agreed. I don't see anyone trading all the way up to #2 for Clowney. Only franchise-type hopeful QB prospects warrant a move to #2.

I think the "Go-Zone" for Falcons moving up for Clowney is #4 overall(Cleveland). The problem there is Browns are thinking QB and generally teams thinking this way don't move back - especially because to go from #4 to #6 involves moving behind Oakland - another team that could take a QB.

The only way I see Cleveland/Oakland trading back w/ Atlanta is if either falls in love with some QB they know they can get later - like a Taj Boyd in 2nd round or something.

If he gets to #5(Oakland), I would probably explore moving up - because at that point, there would be multiple suitors for Raiders pick if Clowney still available. Of course, Raiders would probably keep the pick and take Clowney themselves and go for QB later.

I don't think anyone hates him. He's a good prospect and all, he just isn't a good enough fit to warrant us taking him at 6th overall.

He's perfect for the LEO hybrid/ Ameoba defense and he can put his hand in the dirt on passing downs. Von Miller and Clay Matthews are perfect comparisons. Clowneys got more going for him, but Barr could very well be the best pass rusher in the draft.

agreed. I don't see anyone trading all the way up to #2 for Clowney. Only franchise-type hopeful QB prospects warrant a move to #2.

I think the "Go-Zone" for Falcons moving up for Clowney is #4 overall(Cleveland). The problem there is Browns are thinking QB and generally teams thinking this way don't move back - especially because to go from #4 to #6 involves moving behind Oakland - another team that could take a QB.

The only way I see Cleveland/Oakland trading back w/ Atlanta is if either falls in love with some QB they know they can get later - like a Taj Boyd in 2nd round or something.

If he gets to #5(Oakland), I would probably explore moving up - because at that point, there would be multiple suitors for Raiders pick if Clowney still available. Of course, Raiders would probably keep the pick and take Clowney themselves and go for QB later.

I can agree with that analysis. I was just looking at the situation and I see the Rams in a bad spot with their salary cap. What better way to take a advantage of a team like the Dolphins did with the Raiders going from 12 to 3. I do think Clowney will be there pick 5 but I do not think the Raiders will trade that pick, even though Dennis Allen is on the hot seat and was quoted saying McGloin and Pryor are not the answer.