The Running Game For 2014

xskyx

I'm sure some of you have seen my rants regarding how we should move back to a power run setting up play action, so I'll spare you a repeat..

Instead, I have three questions for you..

1) how do we fix our run game? (No broad generic answers like fix the line"

2) do we stick with our current rb corps, or make changes?

3) If you would like a rb drafted or FA, who and why?

Guest Negatorris

Better talent up front.

Zone blocking scheme.

I think we should hold out on drafting a RB and give Smith more carries. We should then cut SJax and draft Gurley in 2015.

I'm sure some of you have seen my rants regarding how we should move back to a power run setting up play action, so I'll spare you a repeat..

Instead, I have three questions for you..

1) how do we fix our run game? (No broad generic answers like fix the line"

2) do we stick with our current rb corps, or make changes?

3) If you would like a rb drafted or FA, who and why?

That all depends on what scheme we run. If Tice Brings in a ZBS, then look for SJ to be gone, and Rodgers to get the starting position. Solidifying the interior offensive lineman is key regardless. Center is the most important position on the offensive line, Mack or Dietrich-Smith would be the perfect keystone to build the line around, then bring in Asamoah at Right Guard, and our line is instantly better than it was last year, it will also create a better pocket for Ryan to step into if our Tackles fail. As for Running Backs, if we do run a ZBS, I would love a versatile RB like De'anthony Thomas to share the load with Jaquizz.

That all depends on what scheme we run. If Tice Brings in a ZBS, then look for SJ to be gone, and Rodgers to get the starting position. Solidifying the interior offensive lineman is key regardless. Center is the most important position on the offensive line, Mack or Dietrich-Smith would be the perfect keystone to build the line around, then bring in Asamoah at Right Guard, and our line is instantly better than it was last year, it will also create a better pocket for Ryan to step into if our Tackles fail. As for Running Backs, if we do run a ZBS, I would love a versatile RB like De'anthony Thomas to share the load with Jaquizz.

This answer is the type I was hoping for.

Would Quizz be able to produce though? I know his cut backs would work well in a zone scheme, but zone also requires more of a speedy back right?

This answer is the type I was hoping for.

Would Quizz be able to produce though? I know his cut backs would work well in a zone scheme, but zone also requires more of a speedy back right?

I think Quizz's cutting ability makes a ZBS a better fit for his skill set. In terms of speed Jaquizz has had a better 40 time than Arian Foster. Durability would be the only questions mark on him as he has never carried a full workload as of yet. Thomas would absolutely flourish in a ZBS, and create an immediate impact player.

I think Quizz's cutting ability makes a ZBS a better fit for his skill set. In terms of speed Jaquizz has had a better 40 time than Arian Foster. Durability would be the only questions mark on him as he has never carried a full workload as of yet. Thomas would absolutely flourish in a ZBS, and create an immediate impact player.

Would sjax fail due to his run style?

Maybe, maybe not, Forte got over a 1000 yards rushing and nearly 600 yards receiving, but he is much younger and faster than SJ. I think he is done to be honest with you.

I hope he gives us one good year. Maybe zone will wait a year until we have better zone personnel

Zone blocking scheme.

The backs we have are designed for power running. Jackson, Quizz and Snelling and Vaughn are all bangers. We could use a real scat back with some speed for the homerun hit.

I'd like to see a back like Ben Tate come in. Speed and power. We could punish teams with that running back corps. Pound it and pound it.

Maybe, maybe not, Forte got over a 1000 yards rushing and nearly 600 yards receiving, but he is much younger and faster than SJ. I think he is done to be honest with you.

Please explain why you think he's done i would love to here this..... Cause Jackson got 2 good years in him i see you can't judge him behind that garbage *** OL that line would make McCoy and Adrian Peterson look bad

I don't know why a zone blocking scheme has become such a fad on this board. I don't think we have the linemen to run it. Fck a ZBS. I want to see three new linemen on the line. Three as beaters. Screw that finesse bush it. Line em up and go to a smash mouth power run game. That is one thing I miss about Dan Reeves. His team had the mentality of "yes we're gonna run it, and we're gonna run it right there in that A gap. Stop it". I miss that.

I think we should hold out on drafting a RB and give Smith more carries. We should then cut SJax and draft Gurley in 2015.

I totally agree! Hopefully we fix enough of our problems this year that we can afford to move up in the 2015 draft to get him! Gurley would be the "Julio Jones" of running backs! Would really make me sick to see anyone else in the NFC South to get him!

Edited by I love Julio

Everything is broken. First and foremost, we need a better run blocking Oline. That is priority #1. Secondly, we need improved depth at RB. Our RBs are all old, situational, and/or just plain mediocre or worse. Third, we need a new FB. Ewing is a great blocker, but is fragile as glass, while Dimarco, while being a good special teamer, is seriously lacking as a blocker. Next, we need a blocking TE. Toilolo was our best blocker in 2013, and that's scary. Tony, as much as I love him, was never much of a blocker for us, and seriously regressed in that area in 2013. Him being the main TE on the field, made an already lacking run game, even worse. Finally, we need to be more balanced. One of the primary reason that I want Sjax gone, is so that we can get more carries for our other backs. When he was out, we actually had a fairly nice RBBC going, but it all went out the window, when our "primary" back returned. Having mostly younger backs will allow our coaching staff to go with a true RBBC, or "hot hand" running game.

Everything is broken. First and foremost, we need a better run blocking Oline. That is priority #1. Secondly, we need improved depth at RB. Our RBs are all old, situational, and/or just plain mediocre or worse. Third, we need a new FB. Ewing is a great blocker, but is fragile as glass, while Dimarco, while being a good special teamer, is seriously lacking as a blocker. Next, we need a blocking TE. Toilolo was our best blocker in 2013, and that's scary. Tony, as much as I love him, was never much of a blocker for us, and seriously regressed in that area in 2013. Him being the main TE on the field, made an already lacking run game, even worse. Finally, we need to be more balanced. One of the primary reason that I want Sjax gone, is so that we can get more carries for our other backs. When he was out, we actually had a fairly nice RBBC going, but it all went out the window, when our "primary" back returned. Having mostly younger backs will allow our coaching staff to go with a true RBBC, or "hot hand" running game.

DiMarco had a good year as a blocker. He wasn't on Ovie's level but he was better than MyCox and J.R. Ewing. You are so right about a blocking TE. Dimi stepped on his weenie when he let Hartsock go. That mofo was one of the best blocking TEs in the league last year. Well guess what? He's a free agent. Bring him back home!

DiMarco had a good year as a blocker. He wasn't on Ovie's level but he was better than MyCox and J.R. Ewing. You are so right about a blocking TE. Dimi stepped on his weenie when he let Hartsock go. That mofo was one of the best blocking TEs in the league last year. Well guess what? He's a free agent. Bring him back home!

We need a bruiser at FB. Dimarco wasn't as good as Ewing at holding a defender in space, and neither was he a road grader. He's very mediocre in all categories. He's neither a finesse FB, like Ewing nor a bruiser. We tried the finesse thing with Ewing, now I'd rather have a bruiser. I'm partial to Jay Prosch myself.

We need a bruiser at FB. Dimarco wasn't as good as Ewing at holding a defender in space, and neither was he a road grader. He's very mediocre in all categories. He's neither a finesse FB, like Ewing nor a bruiser. We tried the finesse thing with Ewing, now I'd rather have a bruiser. I'm partial to Jay Prosch myself.

DiMarco is not a bruiser but he was a dam good blocker. Way better than that glass jawed J.R. Ewing. You need to go back and watch the tapes bro. Start with that play he sprung SJax for a TD on in BUF. Lemme check his PFF grades right quick.............OK ranked 10th in the league overall and 10th in the league in blocking among all FBs. Any questions?

DiMarco is not a bruiser but he was a dam good blocker. Way better than that glass jawed J.R. Ewing. You need to go back and watch the tapes bro. Start with that play he sprung SJax for a TD on in BUF. Lemme check his PFF grades right quick.............OK ranked 10th in the league overall and 10th in the league in blocking among all FBs. Any questions?

You can quote your PFF Bible all you want. I paid for that site one year, and learned my lesson. He leaves something to be desired as a FB, and needs to be upgraded. I will not debate this any further.

Edited by hjerry