Late Rounders And/or Small School Guys

k-train

List guys who are likely to go in the later rounds, or are from a small school, that you would like to see the Falcons take a look at.

HB Terrance Cobb

University of the Cumberlands

5'11" 220lbs

40 proj.: 4.45

2010: 139 carries for 990 yards (7.1 ypc) & 14 TDs

2011: 144 carries for 904 yards (6.3 ypc) & 7 TDs

2012: 259 carries for 1,991 yards (7.7 ypc) & 26 TDs

2013: 92 carries for 540 yards (5.8 ypc) & 6 TDs

Concerns: His numbers are great, especially his JR season. However, he was putting up these numbers against talent that was mediocre at the very best. There have been some NFL players to come out of the NAIA though, like Jon Kitna & Patrick Crayton, so it'll be interesting how he looks in workouts. He was pretty limited to non-existant in the passing game, both as a receiver & as a blocker. I cannot figure out why he played in only 6 games as a SR. Possibly had an injury.

Pros: The kid averaged 41.5 yards on kickoff returns in 2012. He has great athletic ability, showing amazing balance, and excellent vision. He has shown he can run through over, or around defenders. With a 4.45 40-yard dash, 300-pound power clean, 450-pound squat, 500-pound dead lift and a 350-pound bench press; he has the strength and speed to play in the NFL.

WR Jeff Janis

Saginaw Valley State

6'3" 218lbs

40 proj.: 4.36

2009: Redshirted

2010: 9 rec for 130 yards (14.4 ypc) & 1 TD

2011: 48 rec for 968 yards (20.2 ypc) & 14 TDs

2012: 106 rec for 1.635 yards (15.4 yoc) & 17 TDs

2013: 83 rec for 1,572 yards (18.9 ypc) & 14 TDs

Concerns: Again, played at a small school, so numbers might be a bit inflated due to playing against mediocre talent. However, he was invited to the Senior Bowl, NFLPA Bowl, and East/West Shrine Game, so he will be given a chance to prove himself.

Pros: Great size, speed, and hands. He could be an absolute beast after a year of tutelage by Roddy & Julio, and would be a perfect replacement for HD in a year, and eventually maybe even for Roddy in 3 or 4 years.

DT Beau Allen

Wisconsin

6'3" 325 lbs

40 proj: 5.25

2010: 15 tackles

2011: 22 tackles 5.5 tfl 4 sacks

2012: 37 tackles 7.5 tfl 2.5 sacks

2013: 20 tackles 2 tfl 1.5 sacks

Concerns: Numbers were down as a senior, but this could largely be attributed to playing in fewer games,,, 12 in 2013 compared to 14 in 2012 & 2011.

Pros: He fires out of his stance and plays with a physical, mean motor, engaging double-teams and holding the point of attack. Allen isn't flashy, but does the dirty work and takes care of business in the trenches. Has a great personality, is very durable, and has held his own against top tier talent.

DT Donte Rumph

Kentucky

6'3" 320 lbs

40 proj.: 5.10

2010: 12 tackles

2011: 31 tackles 3 tfl 1 sack

2012: 36 tackles 6 tfl 4 sacks

2013: 47 tackles 6 tfl 2 sacks

Concerns: He is an older prospect & will be 24 when he is drafted or signed as a UDFA. Had a shoulder injury that required surgery, but seems to have bounced back fine.

Pros: Another meat beast who has played against upper level talent & done well enough to warrant a late round pick. Surprisingly quick for such a large frame & uses a swim move to get into the backfield. Comes from a football family, uncle is an assistant coach at Alabama, brother played at S. Carolina, cousin is Phillip Merling.

I also am interested in Arizona State Safety Alden Darby. He's had 10 INTs in the last 3 seasons & around 200 tackles and 21 pass breakups in that span as well. Has good speed & is expected to run a 40 in the 4.45 range. Decent size at 5'11" and 192 lbs, but might need to bulk up just a bit. He has shown significant playmaking ability, and appears to be lightyears beyond Decoud at tackling. Oh, and he could very well be there in the 5th or even 6th.

Rice kicker Chris Boswell might be worth keeping an eye on, too. Matt Bryant has been pretty reliable, but eventually as he gets older & older, he's going to start losing the distance... just like Mort. Bryant is entering the final year of his deal & also has a cap hit of $3.3m in 2014. He's going to get replaced pretty soon one way or another. Better too soon than too late.

Boswell had some accuracy issues this season, but he has hit from 57, 56, and 54 yards out. Plus, he pulled off this amazing onside kick:

WR Jeff Janis

Saginaw Valley State

6'3" 218lbs

40 proj.: 4.36

2009: Redshirted

2010: 9 rec for 130 yards (14.4 ypc) & 1 TD

2011: 48 rec for 968 yards (20.2 ypc) & 14 TDs

2012: 106 rec for 1.635 yards (15.4 yoc) & 17 TDs

2013: 83 rec for 1,572 yards (18.9 ypc) & 14 TDs

Concerns: Again, played at a small school, so numbers might be a bit inflated due to playing against mediocre talent. However, he was invited to the Senior Bowl, NFLPA Bowl, and East/West Shrine Game, so he will be given a chance to prove himself.

Pros: Great size, speed, and hands. He could be an absolute beast after a year of tutelage by Roddy & Julio, and would be a perfect replacement for HD in a year, and eventually maybe even for Roddy in 3 or 4 years.

Janis is going to become a very good WR in NFL. Would love to get him in Atlanta.

Worrilows buddy LOL BKMZBYSYRIWAQMS.20131218014654.jpgLEESBURG, Va. -- University of Delaware senior defensive tackle Zach Kerr, who capped an outstanding two-career with the Blue Hen football team this past fall, has been selected to the Beyond Sports Network All-American team.

Kerr, a 6-2, 310 lb. history major from Gaithersburg, Md. (Quince Orchard High School) was selected to the third team and was one of 150 student-athletes honored on the four teams.

He becomes the first Delaware All-American since linebacker Paul Worrilow earned third team The Sports Network and honorable mention College Sports Journal All-American honors last season. Delaware has now had at least one player earn All-American honors 11 times in the last 12 seasons.

The 2013 BSN All America Team was chosen by college sports information directors, college coaches, media, and BSN Staff.

Delaware recently completed it season under first-year head coach Dave Brock with a 7-5 overall mark and a 4-4 slate in CAA play, good for a tie for fifth place in the league standings. The Blue Hens received votes in every The Sports Network Top 25 poll during the season, climbing as high as 15th on Nov. 4.

Kerr, a second-year transfer from Maryland, proved to be one of the league’s top interior defensive lineman once again this fall. A co-captain, Kerr recorded 57 tackles (28 solo), including 5.5 tackles for loss (29 yards), 3.5 sacks (24 yard), two pass breakups, and two forced fumbles. He ranked fourth among all CAA down linemen in tackles.

Kerr, who also earned second team All-CAA honors in 2012, collected four or more tackles nine times during the 2013 campaign, including a career-high eight each in victories over Albany and Towson.

A total of 18 CAA players were selected to the four teams, including first teamers Terrance West (RB/Towson), Eric Pike (OT/Towson), Stephon Robertson (LB/James Madison), and Jerome Couplin (S/William & Mary); second teamers Emmanuel Holder (FB/Towson), Justin Perillo (TE/Maine), Telvion Clark (LB/Towson), and Jordan Love (CB/Towson); third teamers Kerr, Dae’Quan Scott (RB/James Madison), Jeff Gakos (OG/Maine), Ryan Delaire (DL/Towson), and Kendall James (CB/Maine); and honorable mention selections Marcus Wasiliewski (QB/Maine), John Robertson (QB/Villanova), RJ Harris (WR/New Hampshire), Randall Harris (OT/Towson), Rahim Cox (DL/Villanova),

Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo was named the BSN Offensive Player of the  Year while James Madison linebacker Stephon Robertson was selected as the Defensive Player of the Year. Southeast Louisiana kick returner Xavier Roberson was named Special Teams Player of the Year.

My uncle has preached about Janis. I have seen a few of his games and he runs decent routes(better than Harry IMO) and has great speed and acceleration. Would be a great to put him in the slot and let him abuse opposing safeties and LB's. I hope we look into him.Another guy is Dri Archer. He's more of a RS, but we need a dynamic player like him or D'anthony Thomas coming out the backfield or returning kicks.

List guys who are likely to go in the later rounds, or are from a small school, that you would like to see the Falcons take a look at.

HB Terrance Cobb

University of the Cumberlands

5'11" 220lbs

40 proj.: 4.45

2010: 139 carries for 990 yards (7.1 ypc) & 14 TDs

2011: 144 carries for 904 yards (6.3 ypc) & 7 TDs

2012: 259 carries for 1,991 yards (7.7 ypc) & 26 TDs

2013: 92 carries for 540 yards (5.8 ypc) & 6 TDs

Concerns: His numbers are great, especially his JR season. However, he was putting up these numbers against talent that was mediocre at the very best. There have been some NFL players to come out of the NAIA though, like Jon Kitna & Patrick Crayton, so it'll be interesting how he looks in workouts. He was pretty limited to non-existant in the passing game, both as a receiver & as a blocker. I cannot figure out why he played in only 6 games as a SR. Possibly had an injury.

Pros: The kid averaged 41.5 yards on kickoff returns in 2012. He has great athletic ability, showing amazing balance, and excellent vision. He has shown he can run through over, or around defenders. With a 4.45 40-yard dash, 300-pound power clean, 450-pound squat, 500-pound dead lift and a 350-pound bench press; he has the strength and speed to play in the NFL.

I don't think those numbers are that great for a RB. He should be squatting more than 450 and maybe benching more than 350.

i was just coming to post about this exact same thing. every year i come and list players and every year i see them get pt or start for a team as undrafted fa's or late round picks. mike catapano, akiem hicks, travian robertson, tony dye, evan rodriguez/ all have seen action in the nfl and nobody responds to my posts about these guys. i love finding the diamonds. outside of these guys which i wouldve posted about as well, are zack kerr, and eric thomas. i also read about anthony dean but havent seen enough on him. the guy im high on is zack kerr. 6'1" 322. this guy, albeit he plays small schools is the real deal! he has a v12 motor, vocal leader more than usual for a dt, and speed for his size is an understatement. this guy is determined to succeed in the nfl. the most impressive thing to me is watching him run people down or react to screens. my favorite time, although there were a lot, is the 4 to 5 minute mark.

Richard Rodgers TE California is projected to go in the 6th-7th round by CBS but the guy is an athletic game changer at the TE position. Plays quite a bit of WR like Gonzalez did. Looks fluid and quick. 39 catches for 608 yards this season. He's not a good blocker though.

I like the idea of drafting in the late rounds productive players from big time conferences that have the athletic ability to make it. Someone mentioned Beau Allen of Wisconsin. He is a very good example. I saw during the bowl game that McShay had him listed as the 14th DT. Last year, the 14th DT didn't go until round 5. Ranking are subjective and they will change. Allen is the type of player I wish the Falcons would target more often in the later (5-7) rounds. Too many times lately I'm just over the guys we pick down there.

Since 2010, the Falcons have had 15 draft picks between rounds 5-7. I will take Massaquoi, Bosher and MAYBE Franks. That's about it and I can see why we have a depth problem. I look at the WR position. Its very deep. Roddy isn't going to play for ever. Everybody thinks Harry is still a kid, but he will turn 30 this year. How about looking at guys like Shaq Evans (UCLA), Martavis Bryant (Clemson) or Keenan Holman (SMU) since they have a good physical skill set and some production. Maybe a late round RB like Roderick McDowell (Clemson) could really provide that change of pace that we don't have out of the backfield.

I like this guy in 5th round or later.

http://fishduck.com/...dy-to-dominate/

THE FREAKISH BOSEKO LOKOMBO IS READY TO DOMINATE

Victor-Flores_avatar-75x75.jpg

Reported by Victor Floreson August 18, 2013

Rob Moseley knows a beast when he sees one. Moseley, the new editor-in-chief of GoDucks.com, has been covering Oregon football for more than a decade, so he’s personally seen some of the best players in Ducks history.

This month, Moseley has been writing daily (sometimes twice-daily) reports from each of Oregon’s closed fall practices. Anyone reading them will notice a trend.

Here’s an excerpt from his August 9 post: “The defense earlier built a lead thanks to some disruptive play by Boseko Lokombo, who stopped two run plays in the backfield, in one case forcing a fumble.”

From August 10: “Mana Greig won a rep with Buckner, and Andre Yruretagoyena held his own against Boseko Lokombo, who otherwise was all over the place this afternoon.”

From August 14: “Boseko Lokombo looks like a man among boys out there sometimes.”

From August 15: “Boseko Lokombo was absolutely unblockable, no matter who he went against.”

Moseley rarely (if ever) overreacts, so if he’s gushing about Lokombo you know the linebacker is doing something special. And by the way, Lokombo has been wreaking all of this havoc against the Ducks’ offense, which isn’t exactly a weak link.

Other than Ifo-Ekpre Olomu, there might not be a more promising Oregon defensive player than Lokombo. The fifth-year senior potentially could be one of the top Pac-12 linebackers, and if Moseley’s reports are any indication, Lokombo might even contend for the **** Butkus Award.

lokombo-fresno-Craig-Strobeck-438x292.jpg

Craig Strobeck

Lokombo levels Fresno State’s quarterback in their game a year ago

As hyperbolic as that may sound, it’s incredibly hard to not get excited about this player. He’s 6-foot-3, about 230 pounds, and runs the 40-yard dash in 4.5-4.7 seconds – phenomenal for a man his size. Safe to say, Lokombo has an absurd amount of physical ability. Quit hogging all of the athleticism, Boseko!

Some of his teammates sound even more impressed by Lokombo than Mosely does.

“With his athletic ability sometimes some of us have to step back and be like, ‘All right, maybe I’ve got to use more technique than he does,’ just because he’s such a superior athlete to a lot of people,” said Tyson Coleman, who likely will be one of the other starting linebackers this season.

Michael Clay, who started at middle linebacker last season and is now trenching in the NFL, played alongside Lokombo the past three seasons. While Clay is certainly aware of Lokombo’s athleticism, he said Lokombo is more than just a freak of nature. “I think it’s a mixture of both [athleticism and preparation],” Clay said. “Bo knows what he’s doing, so he’s gonna be in the right position.” That quote was from two years ago when Lokombo was a redshirt sophomore. Imagine how much better his preparation and technique are now.

When watching Lokombo’s highlights, the biggest thing that stands out is his speed, but you also catch glimpses of the preparation Clay was talking about:

Check out his sack at 0:18 of the video. Just a devastating spin move against David Yankey of Stanford. Yankey has been named a preseason All-America lineman by several top websites. If only Lokombo didn’t play against so many scrubs . . .

That clip was a great example of both Lokombo’s skill and athleticism, but he isn’t just a dynamic pass rusher. At 1:39 and 1:51 in that video, you can see just how good he is in pass coverage, especially in the clip at 1:39. When the ball is snapped, Lokombo immediately bumps the receiver he’s lined up against. Actually “bump” isn’t quite the right term — “shove” or “manhandle” are more accurate descriptions. Immediately after Lokombo assaults that receiver, he falls back into his zone, which just so happens to be right in between the ball and its intended receiver. He makes a difficult jumping interception and turns on the afterburners, charging into the end zone like a racehorse.

Everything he does in that play is incredible. Many defenders actually just bump, rather than more disruptively shove, receivers in that scenario because shoving takes more time and effort. Lokombo is so fast he can demolish the receiver and still recover in plenty of time to make a play.

Kevin Cline

Lokombo fends off a Stanford blocker last season

Watch the play again, except this time watch the quarterback. He takes a super quick drop and fires the ball immediately, yet still it’s a pick-six. That’s partially his fault, but he wasn’t expecting a linebacker to do all of the things Boseko does in such a small window of time. Without Lokombo on the field, the quarterback might complete that pass.

Of course, three plays aren’t fully representative of a player’s ability. If Lokombo had been that ridiculously good, consistently for the past three seasons, he’d be starting for an NFL team right now. He’s obviously a freakish athlete and he knows it, but he’s also aware that he hasn’t steadily performed at an elite level:

“Maybe my production isn’t as high as a lot of people would want, but I’m a first-round type guy,” Lokombo told The Vancouver Sun. “I could be top five, even number one. The sky’s the limit.”

The sky certainly is the limit for Bo, but he needs to produce more if he wants to be regarded as a top linebacker and get selected early in the NFL draft. And yet, while Lokombo’s lack of production might sound concerning, there are a couple reasons why his stats from the past three years shouldn’t cause worry: 1) defensive performance is much harder to quantify through statistics than offense, and 2) the 2013-14 season is not the past three years. Barring anything unforeseen, Lokombo will play the majority of defensive snaps this season. He didn’t have that type of consistent playing time his first three years. So, we might see a vastly improved Lokombo compared to 2010-12.

We won’t know how good he’ll be until the season starts (two weeks away!), but it sure feels like Lokombo will go from simply being an athletic freak who’s a solid player, to an athletic freak who’s one of the best linebackers in the conference – maybe even the entire country.

Feature image at top of article: Kevin Cline

Nah i tied up too much in LT and people didn't like the RB in the 2nd pick but i cut jackson.

no worries, mate. its fun to talk about - even when we disagree. like i just said in another thread, the draft will be easier to get our heads around once the first few weeks of free agency are over and we see what holes that Dimitroff fills early.