Paul Worrilow

xSICKxWITHxITx

Falcons undrafted rookie Paul Worrilow made 12 starts at middle linebacker in 2013, leading Atlanta with 127 tackles.

He added two sacks and a pass breakup. The Delaware alum became an every-down player as WLB Sean Weatherspoon and SLB Kroy Biermann were lost to injury, but Worrilow graded out poorly in both pass coverage and run defense per Pro Football Focus' game charts. Whether Worrilow is Atlanta's middle linebacker of the future remains to be seen. His long-term IDP value is shaky.

Jan 10 - 4:28 PM

yeah he only averaged 10 tackles a game, we all know how well the rest of the team tackles. dry.png

With some of the worst block absorbing DTs in the league. I don't think people really understand how hard it is to play LB with these gap shooting DTs we have. They have Gs in their face all the time.

If he's a bottom 5 starter as a rookie UDFA, he still has a chance to be a top producer. It's not a given, but on raw guys, you just want them to be able to play at the beginning, assuming they'll improve. Whether he does improve is up to him and the fates, but I'll always be psyched with a late round pick who is a "slightly sub par starter" his rookie year.

The d-line allowed blockers to engage with him and he was not able to run freely around the line of scrimmage.

That is very crucial for the production of any MLB/ILB.

Someone else that looks at this logically? With an ounce of football knowledge? WOWWWWW

It's from Roto World. With that said that's kind of what KB is. Does a little bit of everything though.

But he is still a DE. Roto seems to be trying to kill off Bartu or something because what position do they think he played for us.

The fact is anyone that thinks Paul's performance last year wasn't enough to give him the job this coming year doesn't have an opinion i can agree with. If he can even come close to holding his numbers from this year he'll be our MLB for years to come.

Overrated by this board he's a.backup

Yea it's kinda stupid for someone to be excited about our starting rookie udfa MLB who led the team in tackles. Or maybe some clueless fans that know nothing about football will think he is just a backup with no real proof to backup their opinion.

All I ask is that people watch him play instead of reading his tackle totals post-game.

Yes, he's been a saviour to a D that cannot tackle. For an UDFA, he's been awesome.

But, he has been very bad at limiting yards in the run game, and has been less than stellar in coverage. He is constantly washed out and has been making most of his tackles 4 or 5 yards past the LOS. He needs to be better at shooting the gap and taking on blockers closer to the LOS, so his teammates can make a tackle that minimizes yards.

Is this all his fault? Absolutely not. The DTs in front of him do not allow even the Patrick Willis' of the game to make consistent small gain tackles. They are awful. He is an UDFA; a gem in that regard. Probably the 2nd best player on the defence. And overall, the kind of player the Falcons need.

Having said that, I am not going to praise a player (ever) for being the least worst. He was the MLB on a D that was awful vs. the run. His tackle numbers mean nothing to me other than he is willing to tackle (a VERY good thing, but modest nonetheless).

All I ask is that people watch him play instead of reading his tackle totals post-game.

Yes, he's been a saviour to a D that cannot tackle. For an UDFA, he's been awesome.

But, he has been very bad at limiting yards in the run game, and has been less than stellar in coverage. He is constantly washed out and has been making most of his tackles 4 or 5 yards past the LOS. He needs to be better at shooting the gap and taking on blockers closer to the LOS, so his teammates can make a tackle that minimizes yards.

Is this all his fault? Absolutely not. The DTs in front of him do not allow even the Patrick Willis' of the game to make consistent small gain tackles. They are awful. He is an UDFA; a gem in that regard. Probably the 2nd best player on the defence. And overall, the kind of player the Falcons need.

Having said that, I am not going to praise a player (ever) for being the least worst. He was the MLB on a D that was awful vs. the run. His tackle numbers mean nothing to me other than he is willing to tackle (a VERY good thing, but modest nonetheless).

You do realize that most of the negative parts of your assessment of Worrilow have much more to do with the awful DT play in front of him than his own play, right? As far as shooting gaps, he can certainly improve, but it's not as if he isn't aggressive. It would certainly help if we could hold the edge and he can play north and south rather than east west. I don't understand why some people continue to refuse to get excited about this kid.

And this goes for all of our linebackers. They need help up front.

Edited by Mike Kenn

You do realize that most of the negative parts of your assessment of Worrilow have much more to do with the awful DT play in front of him than his own play, right? As far as shooting gaps, he can certainly improve, but it's not as if he isn't aggressive. It would certainly help if we could hold the edge and he can play north and south rather than east west. I don't understand why some people continue to refuse to get excited about this kid.

And this goes for all of our linebackers. They need help up front.

Did you not f*cking read my post?