Who's Better Billy Turner Or Jake Matthews You Be The Judge

Nivek843SAV

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please tell me why Jake Matthews is worth a top 10 pick. He has to be the most over hyped player coming out of college in a long time.

All the so call experts are talking about the obvious guys. None of those guys can find, rate or know talent if it punched them in the face. I laugh every time I here Mel or Todd rant about b/s.

I've been a football, coach and scout for a long time. I have not seen a more complete tackle in Billy Turner in some time now.

I wouldn't compare Billy to Joe Thomas, however I would say he's not to far off.

Jake Matthews by far.

The tells me you don't watch football nor did you take time to watch the posted film of each player. To say Jake Matthews by far is just simply stupid.

I'd rather you not reply to any of my post again. Typical Falcons fan. Cluless, mindless sheep. No football sophistication at all.

Watching highlight tapes is a horrible way of trying to decide who is better

Tape don't lie. When watching O-Line men you have to pay attention to certain aspect of their game.

How quickly does the player get in pass set

How good are his feet

Does he show great athletisicm

I strong is the player at the point of contact

Can the player move ie pull, wrap or zone step

Billy shows quickness, power and a nasty streak.

Tape don't lie. When watching O-Line men you have to pay attention to certain aspect of their game.

How good are his feet

Turner hasn't played consistently against better competition week in week out,don't get me wrong I like Turner but his test will come in the Snr Bowl & combine drills then you'll have a better gauge on where he is against better competition.

For me its Matthews he has the blood lines has flawless technique and is proven against better competition.

Matthews is quite a bit better now and is certain to be a pros pro and very good T, onedither side.

Turner shows potential to become very good with good coaching and application by Turner. Turner later is my preference in draft assuming he does well at Senior Bowl.

Matthews is quite s bit better now and is certain to be s pros pro and very good T, on dither side.

Turner shows potential to become very good with good coaching and application by Turner. Turner later is my preference in draft assuming he does well at Senior Bowl.

I have no idea what you guys are watching. Maybe it's the hype Matthews gets from his name sake and the fact he played in the SEC. For my money talent is talent.

Jerry Rice played at Mississippi Valley State where as Tim Brown played at Notre Dame. Who was bettter?

Can someone please tell me why Jake Matthews is worth a top 10 pick. He has to be the most over hyped player coming out of college in a long time.

All the so call experts are talking about the obvious guys. None of those guys can find, rate or know talent if it punched them in the face. I laugh every time I here Mel or Todd rant about b/s.

I've been a football, coach and scout for a long time. I have not seen a more complete tackle in Billy Turner in some time now.

I wouldn't compare Billy to Joe Thomas, however I would say he's not to far off.

It was assistant scout the other day... did you get a promotion in the last few days? wink.png

I really like Billy Turner, he kind of reminds me of Ben Ilajana (the prospect not the NFL player) who came out of Villanova a few years back but I don't think he is the best tackle in this draft. In terms of the most complete tackle to come out in the last few years, I'd say is Matt Kalil hands down.

I have no idea what you guys are watching. Maybe it's the hype Matthews gets from his name sake and the fact he played in the SEC. For my money talent is talent.

Jerry Rice played at Mississippi Valley State where as Tim Brown played at Notre Dame. Who was bettter?

you're not reading my post correctly. I said "now" regarding Matthews... I said Turner is my preference, he just needs development of his talents. It just so happens to be a bonus in that we can get him later too.

Matthews is about as safe a pick for an OT that you will see. Turner is a risk with a lot of potential.

The tells me you don't watch football nor did you take time to watch the posted film of each player. To say Jake Matthews by far is just simply stupid.

I'd rather you not reply to any of my post again. Typical Falcons fan. Cluless, mindless sheep. No football sophistication at all.

No it's not simply stupid. I have evaluated both extensively and just because someone has an opinion different than yours, doesn't mean you have to be a little cry baby. You asked a question, I answered. Don't ask if you're going to get butthurt.

Here's my write up on Turner:

Billy Turner, OT South Dakota State

Positives:

+Great combination of length, size, strength, and athleticism.

+Quick feet with great agility and fluidity.

+Appears to have good balance.

+Very strong upper body.

+Extremely aggressive player: plays with a nasty demeanor.

+Displays a great mean streak.

+Definitely a mauler in the run game: looks for pancake blocks.

+Powerful when down field: great when pulling.

+Uses hands very effectively and keeps feet moving to shove defenders.

+Kick slides well and mirrors defenders exceptionally well.

+Does a good job of keeping defender in front of him.

+Absorbs bull rushes quite well.

Negatives:

-Still appears to be quite raw.

-Does not always execute good technique.

-At times has sloppy or lazy footwork

-Needs to bend at the knee more often.

-Can sometimes be caught lunging and overextending.

-At times, plays too upright.

-Awareness needs improvement (blitz pick up).

-Needs to play with a better base.

-Can play too narrow.

-Level of competition is questionable.

So like I said, I'll take a more polished Matthews. Base your opinions off of more than one edited game, because that's all you could seemingly provide. I've watched 15+ games.

How good are his feet

I like Billy and think he could be a great player in the pros. Your assessment of him is pretty good. I just think Jake can start on day 1 at LT or RT. I dont know if Billy can

you're not reading my post correctly. I said "now" regarding Matthews... I said Turner is my preference, he just needs development of his talents. It just so happens to be a bonus in that we can get him later too.

Matthews is about as safe a pick for an OT that you will see. Turner is a risk with a lot of potential.

He needs time to develop which time is something we don't have. I like his upside, but Mathews will provide greater value his first year. We cannot afford to develop and wait on anymore players (Konz & Holmes).

I like Billy and think he could be a great player in the pros. Your assessment of him is pretty good. I just think Jake can start on day 1 at LT or RT. I dont know if Billy can

I agree with this, but his assessment had no substance. He just said he's not far off from Joe Thomas which is a freaking joke.

Negatives:

-Can play too narrow.

I agree with your assessment for the most part. I've highlighted the ones that stood out to me, because he gets away with it playing the level of competition he has been playing but he won't get away with it at the senior bowl and he definitely won't get away with it in the NFL.

No it's not simply stupid. I have evaluated both extensively and just because someone has an opinion different than yours, doesn't mean you have to be a little cry baby. You asked a question, I answered. Don't ask if you're going to get butthurt.

Here's my write up on Turner:

Billy Turner, OT South Dakota State

Positives:

+Great combination of length, size, strength, and athleticism.

+Quick feet with great agility and fluidity.

+Appears to have good balance.

+Very strong upper body.

+Extremely aggressive player: plays with a nasty demeanor.

+Displays a great mean streak.

+Definitely a mauler in the run game: looks for pancake blocks.

+Powerful when down field: great when pulling.

+Uses hands very effectively and keeps feet moving to shove defenders.

+Kick slides well and mirrors defenders exceptionally well.

+Does a good job of keeping defender in front of him.

+Absorbs bull rushes quite well.

Negatives:

-Can play too narrow.

So like I said, I'll take a more polished Matthews. Base your opinions off of more than one edited game, because that's all you could seemingly provide. I've watched 15+ games.

A Town. I stand corrected. Good job evaluating. It's basically the same write up I have. Excellent job. I sincerly apologize to you Sir.

I hope you weren't saying going after Turner in the first round were you???? Maybe 3-4th round. Would I take Turner over JuWann Turner?? It is hard to pass a Matthews. He has grown up around the game. The NFL won't be a shock to him.. But I still like Robinson.

For my money I'd take Turner in the second round. I look for the best player on the board at 6th regardless of need.

It was assistant scout the other day... did you get a promotion in the last few days? wink.png

I really like Billy Turner, he kind of reminds me of Ben Ilajana (the prospect not the NFL player) who came out of Villanova a few years back but I don't think he is the best tackle in this draft. In terms of the most complete tackle to come out in the last few years, I'd say is Matt Kalil hands down.

Was that suppose to be a joke? I'm not bragging about my position. It's really nothing to brag about. I do scouting for a private company who then sells information to your lame ESPN host amung other outlets. Anyway, my job allows me to watch tons of football which is awesome. It's only part time and I do have a grown up full time job which actually pays the bills. I do coach as well.