Here's A "fun" Question: If We Don't Go With Big Jake Or Clowney...who Do We Pick?

Stoic

Clowney goes either 2 or 3, so he is out w/o a trade up. I wouldnt completely rule out TD moving up to 2 if HOU doesnt take him number one. I would guess the price would be number 6, 3rd rounder and 2015 first rounder.

The top tackle will also go before 6. Likely Matthews, although Joekel was the surefire OT until just before the draft, so who knows.

If those two are gone i see either Robinson, Lewan, Ealy Tuitt or Barr being on the radar. Of that group i would hope it was Tuitt, Ealy or Robinson.

I can also see a DT rising (not sure who) and TD grabbing him.

Clowney goes either 2 or 3, so he is out w/o a trade up.

I think that as of right now, there is only about a 50% chance Clowney goes in the top 3. I'm expecting all three spots to wind up QB (Bridgewater, Manziel and Bortles) and if it's not, Matthews matches up better to needs than Clowney. What would be interesting is if St. Louis bumped down to #4 with Cleveland. I wonder if they would take Clowney or Matthews there or consider another bump down to 6 or 8. At #4, we can afford Clowney. At #5, I doubt we could provide Oakland with the incentive needed to cede him to us.

I'm simply not a fan of this LT class. Robinson is extremely raw and will not be ready to play LT any time soon, Matthews is limited as a ZBS LT, Lewan took too much of a step back this season for me to feel comfortable with him, and Kouandjio looks like he's just a RT. So, to me, taking a LT for the sake of taking a LT, as some on this site seem to want, will just lead to another JA98 since we took a DE for the sake of taking a DE in the 1st that year. The chance of them replacing a Baker with a rookie are close to zero no matter what your opinions on him are. I also do not see the point in taking Barr, who is not an edge rusher due to his utter lack of bend around the corner or pass rush moves, or Mack since we have little need in the LB corps especially when the D-line is such a mess.

Due to all of that I'd prefer to trade down and take Stephon Tuitt. We need a stout 5-tech DE so we can hold the edge against the run, physicality inside, and he'd add an effective pass rush. He's also a fantastic athlete for a player his size. He'll be able to produce right away and has plenty of upside left. To those who have O-line tunnel vision I say pick up a C and RT in free agency, namely de la Puente and Winston, and let Tice do his job in coaching up the players. Completely revamping the personnel with the O-line is attempting to treat the symptom when the disease was Pat Hill's complete incompetence.

I'm simply not a fan of this LT class. Robinson is extremely raw and will not be ready to play LT any time soon, Matthews is limited as a ZBS LT, Lewan took too much of a step back this season for me to feel comfortable with him, and Kouandjio looks like he's just a RT. So, to me, taking a LT for the sake of taking a LT, as some on this site seem to want, will just lead to another JA98 since we took a DE for the sake of taking a DE in the 1st that year. The chance of them replacing a Baker with a rookie are close to zero no matter what your opinions on him are. I also do not see the point in taking Barr, who is not an edge rusher due to his utter lack of bend around the corner or pass rush moves, or Mack since we have little need in the LB corps especially when the D-line is such a mess.

Due to all of that I'd prefer to trade down and take Stephon Tuitt. We need a stout 5-tech DE so we can hold the edge against the run, physicality inside, and he'd add an effective pass rush. He's also a fantastic athlete for a player his size. He'll be able to produce right away and has plenty of upside left. To those who have O-line tunnel vision I say pick up a C and RT in free agency, namely de la Puente and Winston, and let Tice do his job in coaching up the players. Completely revamping the personnel with the O-line is attempting to treat the symptom when the disease was Pat Hill's complete incompetence.

I'm assuming you're talking about Eric Winston. If that is correct, You do realize that Winston is a text book zone scheme tackle? He was in it at Houston and the chiefs and at Arizona swapped to primarily zone blocking scheme in 2012

I'm simply not a fan of this LT class. Robinson is extremely raw and will not be ready to play LT any time soon,

I disagree with this. Robinson has 26 starts at LT against SEC competition. What you are considering raw about him is that he has untapped potential. That does not negate the fact that he has played at a ridiculous level against the highest level of opponents. Kony Ealy is going to slide in the draft because he got *destroyed* by Robinson...and he is a potential top 20 pick.

I disagree with this. Robinson has 26 starts at LT against SEC competition. What you are considering raw about him is that he has untapped potential. That does not negate the fact that he has played at a ridiculous level against the highest level of opponents. Kony Ealy is going to slide in the draft because he got *destroyed* by Robinson...and he is a potential top 20 pick.

Kony isn't going to slide because of one bad game

Personnel people weight games where the player is facing NFL caliber opposition. A few years ago, Vernon Gholston got overdrafted by catching Jake Long by surprise on a single defensive play.

I'm very familiar with how these things work cause I personally know a few nfl players. And I'm telling you one bad game wont make Kony slide. He plays in the SEC so he faces top notch tackles. Kony had a sack in the SECCG and had good pressure. Also got decent pressure in his two career games against Texas A&M although he didn't record a sack. If he played at a small time school and had a bad game against Robinson I would see your point

There is a difference between having an off day and getting humiliated. DEs get overdrafted so it is not 100% certain he will fall out of the top 20 but if he does, I absolutely believe it has to do with how he performed in Missouri's biggest game this decade.