Smith Will Get Fired Before Td Unless.....

Guest Gritz

Blank has a closer relationship with Smith than he does with Dimitroff.

If this offseason doesn't pan out and the Falcons have a similar season in '14 I believe Smith and TD might get fired together.

But a good friend of mine who loves the Falcons as much as we all do pointed out to me that the general rule in the NFL is that a GM gets a crack at it with 2 head coaches before he's fired.

I don't know about that in this case. If Dimitroff doesn't get this right I think both will be fired.

Guest Negatorris

They should be fired together if 2014 doesn't pan out. We need to bring in two guys that actually see eye to eye on what they want in a football team.

I think TD will go first. It's harder to find a coach that can build relationships and trust with players on top of being a good coach than it is to find an above average talent evaluator. But more than likely, they'd just both be gone.

Possible DB, but you have to admit that would be unusual...(GM being fired before head coach...).

After the assistant coaches get the axe the HC is usually the next guy lined up before the firing squad.

If I had to assign blame though TD would be the next to go. His last few drafts and FA acquisitions have been spotty at best.

McKay got two chances, even though his second chance was Petrino, who sabotaged this team and ran back to college. I always though McKay should have gotten a true second chance. It was not like he was wrong to dip into the college pool, he just picked the wrong college coach.

With that being said, I think Smitty and TD go together, because TD's drafts have been subpar. I actually think smitty should get a second chance with a better GM, but it is rare to keep the coach and fire the GM and the only care I can remember, lovie smith got fired the next season, even though he had a pretty good season(minus missing playoffs).

Mike Smith must go! There are too many great football minds out there to be stuck with this guy. To me it was a travesty to see guys like Smith and Schwarts have a job and Lovie Smith without one who has one of the greatest defensive minds in the history of the games.. I've watch Lovie smith turn a lot of mediocre players into superstars. Whereas Mike Smith does the opposite.

McKay got two chances, even though his second chance was Petrino, who sabotaged this team and ran back to college. I always though McKay should have gotten a true second chance. It was not like he was wrong to dip into the college pool, he just picked the wrong college coach.

With that being said, I think Smitty and TD go together, because TD's drafts have been subpar. I actually think smitty should get a second chance with a better GM, but it is rare to keep the coach and fire the GM and the only care I can remember, lovie smith got fired the next season, even though he had a pretty good season(minus missing playoffs).

Part of the reason is because the new GM would like to bring in his own head coach.

Only in light of the fact that you prefaced your post with IF we have a lousy offseason and IF we had a similar year as this one, then I will be glad to comment. Otherwise this is wild speculation.

My gut says if your IF scenario comes to fruition, TD has to go. Because you specifically eluded to another lousy offseason. In this scenario, TD would have missed on both FA and his top 3 moves to solidify our lines. I am one of the guys who feels Smitty wanted stud linemen and he was hijacked by TD who trumps him in rank. I got the impression from AB during his presser that he seemed more forgiving of Smitty than he was of TD. I think AB was privy to some of the dialogue between smitty and TD during draft cycles. Can't prove it by that is what I believe.

Therefore I think Smitty would be the lone survivor. Which, by the way, was one heck of a book that I recommend everyone read and which is now a motion picture. I don't think the movie could touch the book but I will see it anyways soon.

TD is not in danger. Coaches, even great ones, get fired after a couple bad years. That's because a fresh start makes a big difference for coaches and players. Look at Andy Reid, someone else took his squad from last year to the playoffs. Meanwhile he took the Chiefs there.

A GM's message never gets stale. Their continuing track record keeps them employed, or gets them fired. Contrary to what a lot of posters think, TD is among the best and his track record compares to the best. Last year's rookie class was too good and personnel wise we were handicapped by injuries.

All I know is what I see on the field, and lately it hasn't been pretty, lack of decent players, lack of coaching strategy result :4-12 , and the starting QB played in every game,how do you go from 13-3 to 4-12 ? injuries ? its more than just bad luck and injuries, if we don't make the play offs and win at least 1 playoff game , I think Mr.Blank may look else where for leadership.

I think TD will go first. It's harder to find a coach that can build relationships and trust with players on top of being a good coach than it is to find an above average talent evaluator. But more than likely, they'd just both be gone.

I'm not so sure about that. The more you look at Mike Smiths record the more similar it looks to Schottenheimer or Mora Sr. Both were known to be overly conservative and couldnt win in the playoffs. I hope Smith proves us wrong this year.

Blank has a closer relationship with Smith than he does with Dimitroff.

If this offseason doesn't pan out and the Falcons have a similar season in '14 I believe Smith and TD might get fired together.

But a good friend of mine who loves the Falcons as much as we all do pointed out to me that the general rule in the NFL is that a GM gets a crack at it with 2 head coaches before he's fired.

I don't know about that in this case. If Dimitroff doesn't get this right I think both will be fired.

It would be a disgrace for Smitty to lose his job while Dummytroff keeps his. If one goes they both should go.

I'm not so sure about that. The more you look at Mike Smiths record the more similar it looks to Schottenheimer or Mora Sr. Both were known to be overly conservative and couldnt win in the playoffs. I hope Smith proves us wrong this year.

but to my point, he has qualities that Blank seems to value more than those of Dimitroff. But like you said, hopefully both of them prove their worth again this season.