Td's Criteria In Scouting Players From "war Room: The Legacy Of Bill Belichik....

MSalmon

I've entertained trading up to get Clowney, but afraid the cost is possibly prohibitive. But for those that read the "war room" you'll recognize this criteria that Belichik,Pioli and TD asscribe to in scouting players:

1) what will this player's role be as a Falcon?

2) Will that role change from year 1 to year 2?

3) Which current falcon will this player beat out?

4) What's his value on STs?

5) does this player have positional versatility(PV)

I'm using a 1 as poor ; 3 as Good ; 5 as excellent

Using this criteria I'm grading Clowney and Matthews as examples

Clowney:

1) Role: starting DE (5)

--he can start today

2) Role Change (5)

--as he gets better acclimated in hybrid his role can expand

3) Osi and Mass (5)

--he can start either spot

4) STs (3)

--could play STs, not sure he will

5) PV (5)

--can play in all schemes, as 43 DE, inside in 43; OLB 34

TOTAL: 23 out if 25 possible

Matthews:

1) Role: starting RT (5)

--he can start today

2) Role Change (5)

--eventual LT but may have to wait due to baker's contract

3) Baker and Holmes (5)

--he can start either spot

4) STs (3)

--could play STs, not sure he will

5) PV (3)

--can play either T spot

TOTAL: 21 out if 25 points

Interesting criteria, huh.,?

How would you rate other prospects? After this initial criteria the book is clear that cost is a factor

Interesting food for thought....thx MS!

May be worth only one category, but for the Falcons evaluations I would add: the Falcon Filter (off field issues (seek clear off-field issues/record) & intangibles like yrs in school (prefer 4 yr players) & competition as well as locker room leadership presence (prefer Team Captains, leaders in particular area).

I also think the ST role criteria shold be weighted has it is more important for evaluating later round selections and/or certain positions ie certainly expect later round LB or RB to play role in ST but a late round OG not as much.

Last few years it was "explosiveness" and game changers; this year's mantra seems to be toughness & attitude.

Edited by AEFalcon

Interesting food for thought....thx MS!

May be worth only one category but for the Falcons evaluations, I would add: the Falcon Filter (off field issues (seek clear off-field issues/record; intangibles like yrs in school (prefer 4 yr players) & competition; locker room leadership (prefer Team Captains, leaders in particular area)

In the book it talks about the things you speak of. This was the entry criteria.

Good book btw

Pretty accurate MSalmon I to have that book in my collection and its an outstanding read.

Personally if Clowney gets to 4 TD just has to seriously look at going to get him even if it comprimises next years draft.

Yes it is. I think I would trade up for him as well. He's such an impact player

On this board I pretty much think at least 50% are over TD and no matter what he does parts the red sea ala MOSES win a SB maybe enough but anything less he's under the bus.

They're shortsighted. I'll take being a contender year in and out over the crappy years any day.

Alright, I'll give this a shot.

Stephon Tuitt:

1) Role: Starting DE (5)

He fills a huge need for 5-tech DE. Can hold the edge against the run (completely absent last season) and contribute a good deal of pass rush as well.

2) Role Change (3)

He'll likely continue to fill that role. He can be moved around in a LEO or hybrid defense at any rate.

3) Goodman, Babineaux (4)

Not exactly sure how to grade this since the D-line is so bereft of talent.

4) STs (5)

Can be used to defend against field goals.

5) PV (5)

Though primarily a 5-tech he can be moved inside for both 4-3 looks and LEO Bear front looks.

21/25

Greg Robinson

1) Role: Starting RT (3)

There's a void there but you don't draft RTs that high. Way too raw to play LT to start his career.

2) Role change (4)

If he develops well he can be a beast at LT but, again, he's so raw it's far from a guarantee.

3) Holmes? (4)

I don't think we have anyone at RT right now.

4) STs (3)

He can block for field goals and punts I suppose.

5) PV (3)

To start off he's just an RT. If he develops then he can swing to LT, but that's an if.

18/25

Alright, I'll give this a shot.

Stephon Tuitt:

1) Role: Starting DE (5)

He fills a huge need for 5-tech DE. Can hold the edge against the run (completely absent last season) and contribute a good deal of pass rush as well.

2) Role Change (3)

He'll likely continue to fill that role. He can be moved around in a LEO or hybrid defense at any rate.

3) Goodman, Babineaux (4)

Not exactly sure how to grade this since the D-line is so bereft of talent.

4) STs (5)

Can be used to defend against field goals.

5) PV (5)

Though primarily a 5-tech he can be moved inside for both 4-3 looks and LEO Bear front looks.

21/25

Greg Robinson

1) Role: Starting RT (3)

There's a void there but you don't draft RTs that high. Way too raw to play LT to start his career.

2) Role change (4)

If he develops well he can be a beast at LT but, again, he's so raw it's far from a guarantee.

3) Holmes? (4)

I don't think we have anyone at RT right now.

4) STs (3)

He can block for field goals and punts I suppose.

5) PV (3)

To start off he's just an RT. If he develops then he can swing to LT, but that's an if.

18/25

Cool! Writing Tuitt out that way, pointed out some aspects of his game that I hadn't thought of. Robinson is interesting, as well. A whole lot of potential, but a good chance he isn't a future LT

The two guys I'm having trouble with using the "comrade filter" are Barr and Mack. Really difficult to see how they grade out. Obviously talented guys, but possibly guys w/o a true position

I don't see Barr with an issue honestly. Mack either. he had just 1 game that he missed from suspension but it had to do with a situation that... well... the WR had it coming to him and started the fight with Mack.

If we DON'T trade up for Clowney, will we regret it in a few years?

In 2007, we could have traded up for Adrian Peterson / Joe Thomas / Calvin Johnson. We didn't, stood pat, and drafted JA98.

Just saying... Clowney is the most talented defensive end prospect since Peppers and the most talented defensive lineman prospect since Suh.

I know a lot of us would grind our teeth at the cost, but would (for example) giving up next year's 1st to switch slots with St. Louis really affect us that negatively over the next decade if it would allow us to get the most dominant defensive players in the league?

You just KNOW TD has to be considering it. Especially since the hope would be that our 2015 1st rounder would be back in the 20-32 range if we have a bounceback season.

I'd especially be okay with it if we could somehow avoid giving up our 2014 2nd and our 2015 1st. Maybe the Rams would take our 2014 3rd and our 2015 2nd? I'm sure the "trade value chart" would disagree, but they seem to want to move down, and we have a good relationship with their FO.

In 2007, we could have traded up for Adrian Peterson / Joe Thomas / Calvin Johnson. We didn't, stood pat, and drafted JA98.

Just saying... Clowney is the most talented defensive end prospect since Peppers and the most talented defensive lineman prospect since Suh.

I know a lot of us would grind our teeth at the cost, but would (for example) giving up next year's 1st to switch slots with St. Louis really affect us that negatively over the next decade if it would allow us to get the most dominant defensive players in the league?

You just KNOW TD has to be considering it. Especially since the hope would be that our 2015 1st rounder would be back in the 20-32 range if we have a bounceback season.

I'd especially be okay with it if we could somehow avoid giving up our 2014 2nd and our 2015 1st. Maybe the Rams would take our 2014 3rd and our 2015 2nd? I'm sure the "trade value chart" would disagree, but they seem to want to move down, and we have a good relationship with their FO.

Yes. There is a time and a place to be aggressive and trade up and this year is not it. We have too many needs and Clowney will not, I repeat, NOT fill them all. His personality also reminds me way too much of Albert Haynesworth for me to feel comfortable trading up to get him. If he falls to us, great, but he is not worth trading our top picks this year and 1st round picks for years to come (ie. The Redskins trade from #6 to #2 to get RGIII is essentially what we'd have to pay). Not by a long shot.

I would agree but only if Clowney makes it to pick 4 if he doesn't it is what it is I think going from 6 to 2 destroys this year and a good portion of next years draft.

I've had that thought as well. I actually think TD is in a tricky spot here because everybody realizes that his being so casual with draft picks has reduced our depth. This season, there is a guy who fits a need we have had since Kerney left and we wouldn't need to do a lot to get him. The problem is that we really need a stud guard as an anchor on the line. So we cannot be giving away our top 75 picks. If we had 10 games this year and had an additional first round pick, trading up would be a no-brainer.